The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
We bought a new posh car when I got made redundant. A zafira in 2002. Still have it, although it is now just our 2nd car and mainly used by me for taking the bike to events and rubbish to the tip.

So almost 20 yrs old, but I can't really work out when it stopped being posh.

Update: took it for its MOT today - and it passed! So it's going to with us for another year!

We have an 11 year old, 101,000 mile Peugeot Bipper, which I am absolutely delighted with.
It's got a selection of door dings and I try to take reasonable care of it, but it is parked outside the whole time so if it acquires any more it's irritating, but not the end of the world.
Next week it's having the cam chain changed, and I hope it will then be good for quite a few thousand more miles......

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I've always had 'decent' cars that I've looked after and changed every few years. A few changes in my life, mainly financial and my renewed love for cycling more miles than I drive, meant I ended up driving my 2011 Insignia longer than I normally would keep a car.
I always looked after it but it got to the point where if it got a ding or a bit too dirty etc it wasn't an issue and it became quite liberating. Basically I loved that car. It was reliable, cheap to run and never cost me much per year to keep on the road as well as being a lovely car to drive.
Unfortunately the insurance company wrote it off a few weeks back after i was rear ended and I've made the choice to buy another 'decent' car as I need something reliable for picking up my daughter and mine and the GF's numerous trips away which a similar age replacement probably wouldn't give.
The joy of not having a 'posh' car is quite a nice one in my recent experience however, I'm currently enjoying that new car experience and all the extra toys and new driving experiences I also love.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't had a 'posh' car, as in expensive to some, for 30 years. I bought a 1990 Ford XR2 in 1991 for £5,500 on a 3 year finance deal. It was a thief and vandal attraction from day one. Chrome wheel nuts and windscreen wipers were stolen ( I even took it for a valet and those doing the cleaning stole all 4 new(ish) tyres, replacing them with well worn illegal thread ones) until It ended up eventually being stolen, then recovered a good while later after I'd been paid out by my insurers. Since then I've always bought cars with money I have, not borrowed. My 14 years of window cleaning for a living meant it wasn't worth having an expensive car that'd end up with quite a few knocks and marks. Since I stopped work I've bought cheap and cheerful cars for around 3 to 4 thousand quid. Yes I could spend a lot more, but my now 2 to 3 thousand miles a year means it would be an unnecessary expense.

Last edited:

Ripple

Veteran
1. You hit the wall while paralel parking and first thing you do is to check if the wall has got any obvious damage. Only then the car.
2. £10 for a hand car wash is a once - a - year treat. Rain does the rest of the job.
3. Parking !!! You can park it in most awkward places and don't care about that shiny sparkly paint job that your car hasn't got anyway.
4. You can repair that hanging rear bumper with a selo tape.
5. If there's a rattling sound inside the car you can silence it with a bump of your fist.
6. You don't care if this is a new scratch or just an awkward gathering of dust/mud.
7. Chances of it being stolen are pretty much zero.
8. Full tank of fuel increases the value of the car 30% and more.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well if the London mayor gets his way I may well have to buy a 'decent' car, since my 24 and 29 year old Volvo's don't comply with ULEZ, and whilst I don't live in it, on the occasions I drive to work I'll have to pay £12.50.
So I'll likely be keeping my eyes out to update my current 1998 V70R to a ULEZ compliant model around 2004-2006. On the plus side it will mean an extra 60bhp :laugh:to play with:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
I have never owned an expensive car although I have always taken care of the cars I've had. My basic model 205 isn't worth a great deal but I've had it for many years and I would have more than a little annoyed if someone damaged it and I look forward to carrying out some restoration work when I have saved up some money again.

I feel the Fabia I have at the moment is perfectly functional but incredibly bland and boring and clearly designed by someone with no imagination whatsoever. I will service and maintain it as I want it to be reliable but beyond that I don't give a shoot about it and I haven't even bothered to wash it since March. If someone did reverse into it, it might make the styling more interesting :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine has just cost £500 for a near side suspension knuckle. Most of the cost was the part. Labour was about £75 incl. VAT. The original was worn just outside of MOT requirements, but its taken 6 months to get it fitted (order delays then me not having time). Can't complain as the car is 20 years old and pushing 150k miles.

november4

Honda crv diesel getting on for 128k miles, just rolled the dice to replace the clutch, as sometimes the dual mass flywheel also needs replacing, but we buy nearly new cars then keep them long term so know history and it was clutch only (so half potential cost) - cars at that stage where a big service would be approaching its worth

I do servicing myself except brakes, and it still does 40mpg pottering around, 47mpg on long runs.

3rd honda in a row, as all been stellar and cheap overall to run

Mrs has a golf, same easy ownership. Over the years had bad experience with a couple of manufacturers, won't name, but we vote with feet and won't ever look atvthem again

I've never been in a position to have a new car through work/tax scheme.

I guess a lot of us are doing the same with this economy, oil price - driving like a granny and eeking life out of cars

There may be some bargains next year, we got our first crv in fall out of financial crises - 2 years old for half list, then traded it in 4 years later at 110k miles for a net of -5k, that was the best car experience I ever had ^_^

Sharky

Guru
I guess a lot of us are doing the same with this economy, oil price - driving like a granny and eeking life out of cars
Coming back from Devon last weekend, passed a few Tesla's creeping along in the slow lane. Must have been trying to save the battery.

Top Bottom