The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
2 stars is horrific for a modern car!.

Our Kuga is 5 stars and I wouldn't have my family in anything less.

I'm surprised they are allowed to sell it at that..
@dave r post is worth a little read to understand how the NCAP scoring works. The overall score is based on the LOWEST score of all the attributes measured. So, you can have 5 stars in 9/10 attributes and the one 2 Star attribute, the overall score will be 2 star.
The quote from the Dacia spokesman seems reasonable:

“Our efforts on passive safety have been recognised by Euro NCAP, achieving four stars in occupant protection for both adults and children, and very good performance in pedestrian impact. In terms of active safety, which Euro NCAP has become increasingly stringent on, we have chosen to fit equipment with the greatest value for the customer, with AEBS standard across the range and Blind Spot Warning available on the top-spec Stepway.

It's an important point. It's not that the car is inherently unsafe, it's a value brand and the cloth is cut accordingly. So there's some new tech coming along that this value brand is not yet installing across the board - that doesn't make it an unsafe car. If that's the case then most of us are already driving 'unsafe' cars for not having those news bells and whistles.

I would happily buy one based on reading the full details of the scoring.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
So yes the sandero may not be as safe as a car with all the latest bells and whistles but compared to a 20 year old car its a lot safer .
If you can afford a shiny car then great but dont got slating something with statements that are little researched

EDIT
furthering my long post not a reply to anyone specific

Fab Foodie

So yes the sandero may not be as safe as a car with all the latest bells and whistles but compared to a 20 year old car its a lot safer .
If you can afford a shiny car then great but dont got slating something with statements that are little researched

EDIT
furthering my long post not a reply to anyone specific
+1

Drago

Legendary Member
I understand your concern about safety but Star ratings never bothered me. I have been driving for 52 years, never had a crash and never get into my car thinking: " Should I wrap myself in bubble wraps in case I have an accident? " With retirement, I now drive about 3000 miles a year, most of it local and low speed areas. The longest drive I do is when we go to Devon to see our daughter and that's 90% motorways so very unlikely to have a head on crash there.
I don't drive to France anymore, we fly there and hire a car from the airport.
My other daughter lives 35 miles away which is also 95% dual carriage way to get there.
There are risks in every thing you do and cycling is very high on that list but we still go for rides on roads with all sorts of vehicles on them.
I have no idea what star rating our Nissan Juke is but I trust my driving ability as an ex driving instructor and don't drive fast anymore.
As you know yourself, 100% safety is a myth. Life is for living, not worrying about " what if ? "
Finally, I am not planning on changing the car yet so I still keep my options open.
Ive never had a crash, but I have - quite literally - scraped sufficient brains off the tarmac over the years to not want to be in a car with a 2 star NCAP rating if it ever does happen to me.

Milzy

Guru
I’m thinking of leasing a VW ID.3 to see how the EV life goes. I don’t fancy buying one as in 6 years the battery may be toast.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ive never had a crash, but I have - quite literally - scraped sufficient brains off the tarmac over the years to not want to be in a car with a 2 star NCAP rating if it ever does happen to me.
Errm; have I not read somewhere on here that you are a fellow motorcyclist??
How many NCAP stars does any motorbike get?
All these safety feature on cars just encourage bad driving anyway, with people safe in the knowledge (or at least THINKING they are safe) that if they mess up, they will be saved by multiple airbags and crumple zones. Drivers might concentrate more on the task in hand if they thought a large metal spike would appear from the steering wheel in the event of a crash, rather than a nice cushion of air!

I’m thinking of leasing a VW ID.3 to see how the EV life goes. I don’t fancy buying one as in 6 years the battery may be toast.
It won't be toast. We have had our leaf for a year now and loving it. If it fits your driving pattern then it's brilliant.

Gunk

Guru
When I walked out of a horrible job nearly a year ago I handed in a 2018 Golf GTD company car and got a 10 year old Mazda 2. I don't miss it at all, it was a really boring souless car just in my very humble opinion, more so considering its price tag. It did everything fairly well, but as a drivers car a Mazda MX5 NC 2.0 I used to own blew it totally out of the water that cost me 5 grand

It’s interesting that you didn’t rate the Golf GTD, I have owned mine for 6 years and 100,000 miles. I bought it new and as a package of performance, comfort, and economy, it’s probably one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. I agree that it is a bit boring, but my BMW S1000R provides all the excitement I need at the weekends.

Fab Foodie

As my son now has 2 small people I have swapped my trusty 90,000 mile Dacia logan for the family Citroen C1 60 plate with 60k miles which he was using (but is now too small).
It’s fab! Fun to scoot around in, surprisingly good on the motorway and cheap to run. Was serviced and MOT’d 2 weeks ago and yesterday the rear exhaust bracket broke. Kwickfit sorted a new one and fitted it today for £230. Tyres £50 fitted.
Ok. Downside is that it’s not a great car for shifting loads, I can’t carry the Brommie out of sight and there’s no bluetooth. It does have a CD player tho….
It’s great being able to park where so few other people can!
So it’s my daily and work runabout now.

Love it!

*we have a Duster for that and the Campervan rear beds remove for big stuff.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that you didn’t rate the Golf GTD, I have owned mine for 6 years and 100,000 miles. I bought it new and as a package of performance, comfort, and economy, it’s probably one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. I agree that it is a bit boring, but my BMW S1000R provides all the excitement I need at the weekends.
Agree, my mk7 GTD was great, and £20 road tax ^_^ ... mind you I changed to a 535d and saw the light.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Oooo blimey! That’s a long lead time! Am waiting to see if their lecky car comes over….
May yet consider a Sandero.
That's not the longest. I was told there is a 9 months wait for a new Nissan Qashkai.:ohmy: Glad they are out of my price range. :rolleyes:
The Stepway has all the gadgets I like without the price tag . Every one I know who has one or a Sandero, are full of praises for them, very reliable too.
I am not bothered about top speed or 0 to 60 timing and the new shape Stepway looks good and modern . My wife likes it too because it is the right height to get in and out of it. She chose the colour red too.
The two roof bars can also be put across the other way so it can carry a bike. I will only need to buy a bike roof rack.

Top Bottom