The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Fortunately I'm completely impervious to having the piss taken out of me, in fact I look forward to people trying, like water off a duck's back :laugh:
But yeah, it is a funny looking thing, that's part of the attraction for me.
I actually like it. It's like a smaller and rounder version of a Nissan Cube (which I also like).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I came very close to buying a Twizy. Personal transport for a very occasional car user is perfect, but Renaults stupid battery lease put me off. I see theyve finally binned it for their cars.

I've had an e-mail from Citroen about their Ami electric car. Price TBA (£6k-ish) but can be reserved now: https://www.citroen.co.uk/reserve-your-ami.html

Not sure how many bikes I could fit into that though? ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had an e-mail from Citroen about their Ami electric car. Price TBA (£6k-ish) but can be reserved now: https://www.citroen.co.uk/reserve-your-ami.html

Not sure how many bikes I could fit into that though? ;)
I could have lived with a twizy and 55mph, but if I bought an Ami id probably paint a target on it with a 28 top speed if I were to drive it putside the confines of the village.

Ideal for the city maybe, but the city is about the most inappropriate place to be driving a car anyway.

gbb

Legendary Member
Neither way is perfect, each has its own problems.
Colleagues at work....
Marek owns a 2005 or 2007 i think Mercedes. Nice car, hes an avid car mechanic and there not much he hasnt done on it...some of it very very expensive if he relied on garages.
Maciej owns a 2007 Golf SDI, 200k miles on it. He reckons he has spent £3k on it in the 5 or 6 years he owned it.
Wayne has a 2002 Golf, its clapped out.
One of the guys had a oldish BMW,timing chain went.
Another, same car, rear diff went.
Aramus just had the engine go on his Astra.

Plus's and minus's. Theyre all cars you perhaps wouldnt mind a scratch or dent or two....

Drago

Legendary Member
One should buy wiseley. 146k on my Volvo and its never needed so much as a bulb above and beyond stuff like tyres and brakes. Still on its original exhaust.

It could need 2 grand spending on it tomorrow, and that would still be barely 4 payments on a halfway nice car.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Reviews of the new Dacia Sandaro Stepway are amazing. The new look is great and with all the latest gadgets so why pay twice the price for a branded car that will offer nothing extra? It is also based on the Clio platform so well proven and up to date.
I would seriously consider one when the time comes to change my wife's car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Reviews of the new Dacia Sandaro Stepway are amazing. The new look is great and with all the latest gadgets so why pay twice the price for a branded car that will offer nothing extra? It is also based on the Clio platform so well proven and up to date.
I would seriously consider one when the time comes to change my wife's car.

My folks have one, the older model, but the top of the range one. Wasn't expensive and has been utterly reliable. Bit cheap, and Drago will be along to say it's not the safest car, but nothing is when you are in an argument with a tank.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My folks have one, the older model, but the top of the range one. Wasn't expensive and has been utterly reliable. Bit cheap, and Drago will be along to say it's not the safest car, but nothing is when you are in an argument with a tank.
mrs ck loves the stepway, apart from the usual werable parts the only thing we have needed is a suspension arm which i put down to living in speed bump central

Drago

Legendary Member
Reviews of the new Dacia Sandaro Stepway are amazing. The new look is great and with all the latest gadgets so why pay twice the price for a branded car that will offer nothing extra?
To get an extra three NCAP stars?

The safety is woeful. A 25 year old Fiesta scores 3 stars, a 20 year old Smart car 4 stars, but the new Sandero and Stepway manage only 2 for occupant safety.

I'm so tight I squeak, but even I would baulk at sacrifing my life or legs in a smack for the sake of 'all the latest gadgets'.

keithmac

Guru
2 stars is horrific for a modern car!.

Our Kuga is 5 stars and I wouldn't have my family in anything less.

I'm surprised they are allowed to sell it at that..

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To get an extra three NCAP stars?

The safety is woeful. A 25 year old Fiesta scores 3 stars, a 20 year old Smart car 4 stars, but the new Sandero and Stepway manage only 2 for occupant safety.

I'm so tight I squeak, but even I would baulk at sacrifing my life or legs in a smack for the sake of 'all the latest gadgets'.
I understand your concern about safety but Star ratings never bothered me. I have been driving for 52 years, never had a crash and never get into my car thinking: " Should I wrap myself in bubble wraps in case I have an accident? " With retirement, I now drive about 3000 miles a year, most of it local and low speed areas. The longest drive I do is when we go to Devon to see our daughter and that's 90% motorways so very unlikely to have a head on crash there.
I don't drive to France anymore, we fly there and hire a car from the airport.
My other daughter lives 35 miles away which is also 95% dual carriage way to get there.
There are risks in every thing you do and cycling is very high on that list but we still go for rides on roads with all sorts of vehicles on them.
I have no idea what star rating our Nissan Juke is but I trust my driving ability as an ex driving instructor and don't drive fast anymore.
As you know yourself, 100% safety is a myth. Life is for living, not worrying about " what if ? "
Finally, I am not planning on changing the car yet so I still keep my options open.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Having had a look into this for peace of mind i delved into the ncap archives and its true some modern car do score low but its compared to todays standards where the extra safety devices that come as standard now were not included in the old tests so a low score now is not the same as a high score 20 years ago
as we were talking about a fiesta i found a 2000 fiesta test which got 3 stars , this is a screenie of the result note the weak /poor areas
1634723387740.png

then here is the safety equipment tested
1634723477984.png

Top Bottom