The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dodgy

Is it about £14,000?

The price is on the site🤷‍♂️ But anyway, it's 12,500 euros now for pre-order rising to 16,000 euros after the initial pre-order phase.
So I have pre-ordered it at 12,500 euros which is about £10,700

I'm thinking it will never get here due to brexit complications, a small company like this can probably do without it and just sell to customers in Europe.

midlife

Guru
Yep, looked at the site but was wondering about import duty and all that. Way back when in about 2002 I I thought about importing a Subaru and it had to have various checks to get it legal for use in the UK which cost a fair bit. Just curious if all that nonsense went on today.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Yep, looked at the site but was wondering about import duty and all that. Way back when in about 2002 I I thought about importing a Subaru and it had to have various checks to get it legal for use in the UK which cost a fair bit. Just curious if all that nonsense went on today.
Oh I see, you're possibly right. But I gather their intention is to supply 'Europe' first, I assume that will be Europe in the political sense which might exclude UK anyway. But the order is in, will just have to wait and see.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've just pre-ordered one of these, yeah, it might never materialise but I prefer it over a Twizy (which I also almost bought).
https://www.citytransformer.com/
Let's see if they can overcome Brexit admin issues, chip supplies and covid. Odds are against them for a UK delivery I think! But I have paid my deposit and will happily pay the balance if they can deliver!
I came very close to buying a Twizy. Personal transport for a very occasional car user is perfect, but Renaults stupid battery lease put me off. I see theyve finally binned it for their cars.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Bought a Honda Civic for about £350, ran it for years, couldnt kill it. Minimal maintenance of chucking some oil in it now and again. Never broke down, always started. Couldnt care less if it was rammed by shopping trollys or local hooligans were jumping up and down on its roof. Its probably still out there somewhere still going like a rusty Terminator...:laugh:

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I came very close to buying a Twizy. Personal transport for a very occasional car user is perfect, but Renaults stupid battery lease put me off. I see theyve finally binned it for their cars.

Me too, got as far as local garage to try buying a second hand one but they weren't interested in doing a deal and it had the dreaded battery lease meaning an extra £68 per month for life on that particular model! So then I tried buying a new one (they're a good option new as depreciation is very low for Twizys) but even Renault couldn't answer the question "are you still making these or not". So I gave up on that and then the City Transformer gets announced at the Munich car show and it seems to beat the Twizy on every possible metric and it's also a lot cheaper!

mustang1

Guru
Never had a "posh" car or one that was anywhere near new, think the youngest has been 6. Sold my wee 2009 Fiesta last week and bought a 2012 Berlingo van. 500+ to a tank of diesel and peanuts per month to pay for, the practicality is through the roof
Eh... is it a convertible van? :music:

Drago

Legendary Member
Me too, got as far as local garage to try buying a second hand one but they weren't interested in doing a deal and it had the dreaded battery lease meaning an extra £68 per month for life on that particular model! So then I tried buying a new one (they're a good option new as depreciation is very low for Twizys) but even Renault couldn't answer the question "are you still making these or not". So I gave up on that and then the City Transformer gets announced at the Munich car show and it seems to beat the Twizy on every possible metric and it's also a lot cheaper!
Their website still lists them and has a configurator, but rhey start at a whopping 12 grand now!

mustang1

Guru
I've just pre-ordered one of these, yeah, it might never materialise but I prefer it over a Twizy (which I also almost bought).
https://www.citytransformer.com/
Let's see if they can overcome Brexit admin issues, chip supplies and covid. Odds are against them for a UK delivery I think! But I have paid my deposit and will happily pay the balance if they can deliver!
That's the new mark 2 Postman Pat car. :cheers:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Fortunately I'm completely impervious to having the piss taken out of me, in fact I look forward to people trying, like water off a duck's back :laugh:
But yeah, it is a funny looking thing, that's part of the attraction for me.

They look very cool, innovative concept with the folding chassis.

Do they sit two in tandem?

keithmac

Guru
We tend to keep our family car 10 years, so the treat it like new stage is probably 2 years then it goes down hill from there.

Our current car stayed posh until we got our first Labrador, then it just became a mode of transport..

I do look after it still, yearly servicing and a good clean etc.

We are all over in it for Scouts, Two leaders , a Cub and an Explorer/ Young leader so we're knackered without a reliable car..

Top Bottom