The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My First Car used to be an old banger but it seems that the yoof of today have much higher self-esteem than we did and demand a motorcar in line with their aspirational lifestyle.

CXRAndy

Guru
Isn't there a tint of shame when you pass a cyclist in your old junker of a diesel engine vehicle, blowing particulates into their lungs?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
never had a posh car , i would rather put food on the table and keep family comfy than waste money on an expensive motor that wouldnt get enough use to justify it .
My 1st car was a kermit green mini and unlike most yoof of today i gave it up so i could get a house and walked to work

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't do posh motorbikes either. My 19 year old Honda VFR 800 cost me £3k when I bought it 5 years ago and is still worth about £2k..

It sits unloved in my back garden until called into service, as it was on Wednesday when I got a last minute urge to visit Yorkshire. A quick booking for 2 nights BnB in Harrogate was made, and a top box packed with bare essentials.

The old Honda fired up first press of the starter and off we went. 480 miles in 3 days (and not used at all on day 2 as I took the train into York) she ran faultlessly. Up and down dales, on the motorway, and everything else. 0 to 60 she will still do in under 4 seconds, and very illegal speeds thereafter if that is your thing - but not mine, obviously. And still you get 50+ mpg..

An incredible machine and the best of fun for a fraction of the price that big shiny new car owners are paying, while it depreciates faster than the queue of traffic they are sitting in.
Thank you, Honda! :wub:

Still quite shiny though....

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Cosmicbike hits the nail on the head. Money not spent on car finance was extra money dumped into my mortgage, which was then cleared in 8 years. Never had a loan or finance of any kind on a car.

Having had my mortgage dispensed with long ago I could have a Bentley now, not that im remotely interested in such fripperies. The point being, most folk do it the daft way around. Instead of getting the best car you can manage on PCP and hock yourself up the the eyeballs, use that money to clear the damn mortgage and then buy a car three times as nice, if thats your thing.

A s****y little new Audi for now and all time, or rough it with a used Mondeo for the moment and then a Roller or a Fezza in 7 or 8 years when the mortgage is gone? - if I were a petrolhead (which im not - I spend my readies on pipe tobacco and basses) I know which option id choose.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
If you want to get maximum respect from other road users when you are tooling about in your clapped out van, get one of these stickers for the back doors.....
View attachment 607498

Don't get me started, I work with a lifelong Millwall fan and he's fully indoctrinated. To the point he was asked to work in the same area as a black guy and couldn't stop muttering about "How can they put me in here with that guy"

D

Deleted member 1258

10 year old Suzuki Swift for me, a 1.2, ideal as a pensioners run about, brought it January 2017 with the money I got for cashing in a pension that wasn't worth much long term, previous car was a Hyundai Getz, unfortunately the tin worm got that one and I had to scrap it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Now the motorhome is gone Mrs D wants a wally wagon. Ive told her that if she wants one then a) she can do all the driving, and b) neither of our cars can be fitted with a towbar.

Im looking at a new or nearly new VW camper T6.1 for days out and short overnight stays, rather than a wally wagon (police terminology because of the problems they caused us) that we can't tow and would rarely use.

As a nice Jewish boy - non observant, but still acutely aware of my heritage - it pains me to consider a VW, but there isn't a great deal of choice otherwise, and they hold their value far and away better than anything else. Why can't Volvo make one? :sad:

They do....... (and AFAIK you can drive this with your 7.5 tonne licence, which you will have since you - being an old duffer - will have passed your car test pre 1990).

View attachment 607520

Double bunks, night heater, microwave and everything you need!

View attachment 607521
And even a two-pedal' nowadays

Go for Scania, then you can have a V8:wub::wub:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Isn't there a tint of shame when you pass a cyclist in your old junker of a diesel engine vehicle, blowing particulates into their lungs?
I'd be feel moreso in a less economical petrol engined car, I have no real choice but to burn fuel to get to work, the diesel is the lesser of the evils

Top Bottom