The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Brother in law bought a 35 grand tuned up Ford Mustang & people have slashed his tires. I’ll stick to low CO2 cars folks won’t be jealous of.

That's crap. I'd have a Mustang or a Ford GT as a second car TBH. It wouldn't be used much. They aren't flash cars by any chance.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
My 56 plate Occy is going as strong as ever on 160K (17K when I bought it at 18months old). Had the flywheel & clutch replaced last year for £700 and Mrs_R was confused as to why I would pay so much for a car that's probably worth less than £1000. It gets through it's MOT every year, and service costs are pretty minimal as I do most of it myself, so why spend £300-400 a month on car payments or leasing?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm with you.

I've a 12yo Galaxy that drives like a bathtub, is scratched all over, the roof is stained from rusting bike racks I'm too lazy to take off and the wing mirror is held on with duct tape.

It never fails, carries 5 bikes on top, does 60 to the gallon down the motorway, I don't care at all if it gets dented or nicked, and it costs nowt.

Why on earth would I want to spend ££ on something shinier?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Is posh car brainwashing (and eye watering running costs) responsible for owners refusing to ride a bike to the shops ?

It's weird. Since retiring we've now got two cars after managing with the one all the way through working. I do more miles now than I did working as most of my career I walked or took the train.

Expensive cars are a drain on resources though - bloke at work paid cash for a hugely expensive 4 by 4. He could retire a good few years earlier if he hadn't bought it. Is it worth it ?

Much prefer cycling or walking to driving but I can't get the dog or parents on my handlebars sadly.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Looking forward to getting another Berlingo or Peugeot rifter [same thing] A car to be used/abused/bashed, stuffed with whatever you need to carry dogs/bikes/camping gear/shopping, ton of seaweed for the garden and shifting Aunty Flo's piano ^_^ Practicality is all for me and dont care if it looks like a brick with windows ^_^ XL versions are 1ft longer so can kip in the back when necessary. After a few years of my 'tender' care no thief is going to nick it :laugh:

Attachments

• DSCF4571.JPG
    DSCF4571.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 13

Drago

Legendary Member
I have an elderly posh car (it was £49,000 new 13 years ago). All the fear of owning a posh car, with the added angst of waiting for it to die.

But until does the heated massage seats are a delight.

Mrs D received her new Polestar 2 yesterday. Posh enough, but still 25 gees cheaper than the last one, so she too is heading in the right direction.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have had a posh car. But for the past 2 years I have had an 04 reg Polo. It’s awesome. If it gets clipped in the car park I am unlikely to notice. It starts first time, does 63mpg. It smells of dog and I can get 2 bikes in there.
I much prefer it to my posh car which kept going wrong.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Looking forward to getting another Berlingo or Peugeot rifter [same thing] A car to be used/abused/bashed, stuffed with whatever you need to carry dogs/bikes/camping gear/shopping, ton of seaweed for the garden and shifting Aunty Flo's piano ^_^ Practicality is all for me and dont care if it looks like a brick with windows ^_^ XL versions are 1ft longer so can kip in the back when necessary. After a few years of my 'tender' care no thief is going to nick it :laugh:
Something similar is likely to be my next car, if and when the Polo bites the dust.
I would put a boot jump in there and clear off on adventures.

I've just done the opposite and bought my first 'posh' car, a BMW 4 series that's fun to drive, but still has room for a bike in the back. It's a 2018 so more that half the price off new and it'll be my last petrol car before I go full electric. Figured I'd exit the petrol age with a bit of style and oomph.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I recently swapped my Peugeot 207 for a Citroen Xsara Picasso for the extra room. Both cars are essentially bangers. But i now have a banger with more room. I don't use cars all that much, but when i do it is for a reasonable purpose. The enjoyment of driving for the sake of driving ended a while ago when someone went into the side of my Scimitar that i cherished.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Never had a "posh" car or one that was anywhere near new, think the youngest has been 6. Sold my wee 2009 Fiesta last week and bought a 2012 Berlingo van. 500+ to a tank of diesel and peanuts per month to pay for, the practicality is through the roof

Last edited:
Top Bottom