The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Now the motorhome is gone Mrs D wants a wally wagon. Ive told her that if she wants one then a) she can do all the driving, and b) neither of our cars can be fitted with a towbar.

Im looking at a new or nearly new VW camper T6.1 for days out and short overnight stays, rather than a wally wagon (police terminology because of the problems they caused us) that we can't tow and would rarely use.

As a nice Jewish boy - non observant, but still acutely aware of my heritage - it pains me to consider a VW, but there isn't a great deal of choice otherwise, and they hold their value far and away better than anything else. Why can't Volvo make one? :sad:

Sadly true about the VW, they are sooo popular and the scene tax is horrific. But, I converted a 2016 plate and even after 5 years use, still came out evens when we part exchanged it in for the new 'van (a Fiat, so less scene tax, though everything camping/motorhoming has gone expensive this year)..

gbb

Legendary Member
I like having a 'posh' car (my cars are usually brought at around 1 year old, I keep them for 4 years on average).
Current car, 2018 Mazda 3, 2.0 petrol, reliable, economical, good looking....but you're right, personally, I'm paranoid about it getting damaged, hate supermarket carparks, always looking for a quiet place....but I care, I spend good money on cars, I look afte them.
So it comes at a cost these new cars, not only financially but if you even remotely care about them, you get over protective.
BTW, even worse that buying cars on the never never and not concentrating on the mortgage, my former next door neighbour did what many did in the 90s and noughties....added his car to the mortgage when he brought the house. Insanity imo, he lost the house a few years later. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time I should think .

But then, would I want an older car...nah, been there, done that through necessity, I want something reasonably nice, done my dues, I want something to enjoy.

tyred

Legendary Member
My '96 Peugeot was but decent condition when I bought it in' 06 and passed through the the banger phase and is now on the classic car radar.

A few years ago I used to get "why are you driving that heap of shoot?" from strangers. Now I have people admiring it and I've had several random people offer to buy it in the past year.

I love it's French quirkiness, it's well-used but well cared for appearance, it's simplicity and ease of maintenance, I like the fact that I actually need to drive it rather than have power - assisted everything and a load of electronics to keep me out of trouble.

Sadly all good things must come to an end and I need to bite the bullet I think and do some welding next year :sad:

I have it's replacement sitting behind my parent's house - an incredibly dull and boring Skoda Fabia but it was free:becool:

I will be going away for a few days, taking the bike in the car for a cycling break. I would usually just do it all by bike or combined with public transport but I wanted to take my Pug on one last road trip.

Gunk

Guru
My current fleet is a 2008 Mini, 2015 Golf and a 2014 BMW motorcycle, none of them posh but all bought and paid for.

173D8A6A-E54F-4DE1-8EA8-C80CDFA0BDE2.jpeg

DE216DFE-AD9F-4A82-92AE-AD621E4239D5.jpeg

452C01B5-6AE5-427C-9F26-11E6FF61F57A.jpeg

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My '96 Peugeot was but decent condition when I bought it in' 06 and passed through the the banger phase and is now on the classic car radar.

A few years ago I used to get "why are you driving that heap of shoot?" from strangers. Now I have people admiring it and I've had several random people offer to buy it in the past year.

I love it's French quirkiness, it's well-used but well cared for appearance, it's simplicity and ease of maintenance, I like the fact that I actually need to drive it rather than have power - assisted everything and a load of electronics to keep me out of trouble.

Sadly all good things must come to an end and I need to bite the bullet I think and do some welding next year :sad:

I have it's replacement sitting behind my parent's house - an incredibly dull and boring Skoda Fabia but it was free:becool:

I will be going away for a few days, taking the bike in the car for a cycling break. I would usually just do it all by bike or combined with public transport but I wanted to take my Pug on one last road trip.
Definitely do the welding. I've lost track of how many cars i regret getting rid of. The simplicity of old pugs will keep it on the road for years to come. You can still get fully recondition rear beam axles for not a ridiculous amount of money.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I had a lease car that went back last September having had it 4 years. It was a brand new built to order 2016 5.0 Mustang GT and I miss it tremendously lol. The timing was right though for it to go back as we were in lockdown and it just wasn’t getting used. I’m currently driving a 2006 Renault Clio RS 197 that I bought for occasional track use, I picked it up pre-COVID for £1500… they are currently going for £3000 + so that worked out as a good investment.
I still don’t really class this as an old car considering I also have a 1989 E30 in the garage. Our family car is a 2012 Countryman that I guess most would say is old now?!

I’m quite happy doing all of my own maintenance, diagnostics and repairs so having older cars doesn’t bother me like it might others who are worried about repair costs I guess.

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely do the welding. I've lost track of how many cars i regret getting rid of. The simplicity of old pugs will keep it on the road for years to come. You can still get fully recondition rear beam axles for not a ridiculous amount of money.
No way would I scrap it. It is good mechanically despite clocking over 200,000. The body isn't that bad really but the back corners of the sills and around the rear bump stops and the corners of the boot floor need to be fixed properly. There is rust under the windscreen rubber too.

Having said that, they passed it in February (first time :becool:) so I'm tempted to try for another year in February. I don't see that anything has deteriorated too much.

Hicky

Guru
XC70 posh….?
If so then I have one. However it cost me a K and the last two mots n service cost me pennies with zero advisories so I’m a happy bunny.
Long may it last!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Well done. Just in my very own humble opinion the vast majority of modern cars are dull as a dishwasher anyway. When I walked out of a horrible job nearly a year ago I handed in a 2018 Golf GTD company car and got a 10 year old Mazda 2. I don't miss it at all, it was a really boring souless car just in my very humble opinion, more so considering its price tag. It did everything fairly well, but as a drivers car a Mazda MX5 NC 2.0 I used to own blew it totally out of the water that cost me 5 grand. You could actually feel speed, what was going on with the steering, every imperfection in the road. I also had a Civic Type R EP3 in the noughties that cost me 8K that was practical and way, way more fun. Prices of the EP3 and various other decent older cars are going through the roof now. I believe that this is because they are actually fun to drive and are engaging. Even the very good Civic FN2 Type R is rapidly going up in price, prior to that it was a bargain due to that knob Clarkson slating it because it's straight line speed was a fraction slower than the outgoing EP3. After all that's all that matters these days... Prices of older Japanese warm hatches going through the roof with the straight line speed of a modest modern BMW, never thought I'd see the day. Maybe people see these cars as actually driving a bit more, instead of having a computer control everything, traction, braking, flattering them into a false sense of security. Driving a 2 tonne piece of metal at stupid speeds, due to lack of driver connection, giving a false sense of safety, a computer controlling traction and braking. They should really be on a track. I'm just a bit of a fossil though, bought cars because they were good to drive. I've never been into brands or tech that much.

I sold my Civic for £2,400 about 11 years ago. It would cost me about 10K to get one similar. My brother had an Integra Type R DC2, he sold that for about 5K. It would be pushing 20K now. That was the best handling front wheel drive car I've ever driven. A modern hot hatch, or BMW, Audi whatever would just blitz both in straight line speed. I just think some people see cars like this as fun and engaging, also very reliable. I just think these cars and numerous other older modern classics are going up in price so rapidly as modern cars for the masses are pretty dull and uninvolving. I might be wrong.

Modern cars are better for the normal stuff, safer, more economical. You'll probably have to sell a kidney if it breaks though.

I'm going to buy a motorbike as I believe this is the only way to have a bit of cheap"ish" excitment these days, as the average pleb like me has been forced out of the performance car market. Whether it was new"ish" or something older that I'd much prefer. I've read that Euro 5 has dumbed down bikes a bit too, surely can't be as disconnected as the majority of modern cars are though...

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I chose my current car because it was the right size to fit neatly on the driveway and it'll carry a couple of bikes or other stuff inside. It's just had its first MOT and I'm not planning to replace it any time soon. E has a Peugeot Berlingo-alike which she uses mostly for travelling to her few remaining elderly clients. Being both long retired (after a fashion) our mileages are low, especially after the plague year.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I've just pre-ordered one of these, yeah, it might never materialise but I prefer it over a Twizy (which I also almost bought).
https://www.citytransformer.com/
Let's see if they can overcome Brexit admin issues, chip supplies and covid. Odds are against them for a UK delivery I think! But I have paid my deposit and will happily pay the balance if they can deliver!

I've just pre-ordered one of these, yeah, it might never materialise but I prefer it over a Twizy (which I also almost bought).
Let's see if they can overcome Brexit admin issues, chip supplies and covid. Odds are against them for a UK delivery I think! But I have paid my deposit and will happily pay the balance if they can deliver!

Nice ! And carries as much as the average Range Rover !

midlife

Guru

Is it about £14,000?

Top Bottom