The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
To add to this thread, another joy of having a less tha posh car, it’s cost me nothing(not withstanding legal requirements to be on the road) to sit there for the past month having been used twice whilst I’ve cycled to work. I tried the train when it was very windy and it was late and £8 for a 16 min return journey.
I might even, come renewal time see what savings are to be had restricting my annual mileage at this rate. My Ms could certainly benefit from this also.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
£900 to fix the wife's 15 year old mini :sad:
Not much joy here ... picking it up later.

I had an original mini v plate that failed its MOT due to the notorious floor rot , as i drove away from the test centre i stopped at a junction and a driver who didnt have right of way shot across the junction and wrote mine off .Paid for a new car :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£900 to fix the wife's 15 year old mini :sad:
Not much joy here ... picking it up later.

Aye, but it's less than a couple of month's PCP on a new car. Just sploshed £500 on mine for a suspension knuckle on a 140k mile 20 year old car. That's about as expensive as the car has ever cost. Don't mind that once in a while, it's cheaper than a car lease. Said car hadn't moved much in the last month anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
I drive a 2006 Vauxhall Agila. So good for the once a week I use it. You can get loads in, and 10 foot long.

Why can't you get vehicles like that anymore?

We’ve just sourced an automatic 2012 for the parents to replace a Venga. Perfect little car for their needs, 35k miles. Hopefully this will be the last car they need to buy (but wow automatic little cars have got so pricy…£6.5k :ohmy: )
SiL has a 2010 manual…95k miles, soon to be replaced as she needs something much bigger for her business! She’ll be sad to see it go!

Aye, but it's less than a couple of month's PCP on a new car. Just sploshed £500 on mine for a suspension knuckle on a 140k mile 20 year old car. That's about as expensive as the car has ever cost. Don't mind that once in a while, it's cheaper than a car lease. Said car hadn't moved much in the last month anyway.

Mmmm, doesn't quite work like that at the moment. My car is on a PCP and I could walk away having paid zilch for 2 years motoring on a £50k+ car thanks to low covid mileage/daft second hand prices.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
To add to this thread, another joy of having a less tha posh car, it’s cost me nothing(not withstanding legal requirements to be on the road) to sit there for the past month having been used twice whilst I’ve cycled to work. I tried the train when it was very windy and it was late and £8 for a 16 min return journey.
I might even, come renewal time see what savings are to be had restricting my annual mileage at this rate. My Ms could certainly benefit from this also.

Don’t know about that, MOT, insurance, servicing, replacement parts aren’t nothing. Cars are expensive even when doing nothing.

midlife

Guru
Mmmm, doesn't quite work like that at the moment. My car is on a PCP and I could walk away having paid zilch for 2 years motoring on a £50k+ car thanks to low covid mileage/daft second hand prices.

Just curious how the maths for PCP works for that scenario?

Just curious how the maths for PCP works for that scenario?

Well my local BMW dealer will buy the car back at a price that covers all my 2 years PCP payments ... sounds crazy but true. I would have normally done 40k miles, but only 10k this time around. Don't get me wrong, PCP's are usually a money pit.

Top Bottom