The long way down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Anybody watch this trip with Ewan Mcgregor riding down to cape town on a motorbike? I would be more impressed if he did it on a pushbike...also he has two back up cars and a tv crew...hmm...sorry but that is cheating:biggrin:

yenrod

Hes Ewan bleeddin Mcgregor and an ego/actor so what juh expect :???:

longers

Legendary Member
Yesterdays Times TV guide thingy spent a bit of time mocking him and his entourage for the level of unnecesary detail and expenditure wasted on his entourage.

ash68

watched it myself, can see where you guys are coming from.It is done on a grand scale, certainly not on a tight budget.I must admit to enjoying the programme though,very entertaining.I've got the dvd of "long way round" and Boormans' Race to Dakar dvd found both good viewing.Certainly beats the usual crap tv on a sunday night;)

loved it when asked where their bikes we're and ewan replied we're just waiting for the newest version to arrive from bmw...that coupled with the support vehicles a 'fixer' for each country, an on board doctor, hardly inspires you to get out there and have a crack yourself!

Come on, give the guys a break. 2 blokes who love to ride motorbikes, and to make money out of it (not that Mr McGregor needs it!) looks like they were having a great time!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Didn't see it I was out, bit what's the problem if they're open about the back up? If they were pretending they were going it alone and they weren't that would be bad.

"also he has two back up cars and a tv crew...hmm...sorry but that is cheating"

It's quite hard to make a TV-quality show without a TV crew you know. In what way is having a TV crew 'cheating'? Were Ewan and Ray Mears 'cheating' the other week when they did the trek through the rainforest, because they had TV crew, mules and rafts? They still did the trek. You think David Attenborough does all his series on his own with a box-brownie?

papercorn2000

I konw three guys who were in their early 20's who travelled round the world, (on the cheap) filmed it, edited it all together when they got home and made a 4 part series which they then sold to S4C. Set themselves up as a TV production company with the proceeds. One video camera (which they had borrowed) and loads of tapes (which they arranged to pick up at post offices through their journey).

Arch

Married to Night Train
papercorn2000 said:
I konw three guys who were in their early 20's who travelled round the world, (on the cheap) filmed it, edited it all together when they got home and made a 4 part series which they then sold to S4C. Set themselves up as a TV production company with the proceeds. One video camera (which they had borrowed) and loads of tapes (which they arranged to pick up at post offices through their journey).

That's pretty cool, and they must be pretty talented to have made it watchable. But I guess if they'd been Ewan and Charlie, the beeb would have paid up-front and provided a crew. After all, as far as I know, neither Charlie or Ewan are directors, editors etc and might make a complete hash of making an actual film, as opposed to being in it. (Actually, what IS Charlie? I've only heard of him through this...)

Charlie Boorman is an actor - he's done a few film roles, but never had a really major part in anything. I'm a big fan of long way round - got the dvd and the book - Charlie comes across as a really nice bloke throughout. I hadn't realised they'd done another so I'll watch out for it. Taking a year out and riding the full length of the Americas would be an amazing trip.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I don't think it's the extent of their entourage that is the problem, but rather the total over the top, hyped up nonsense about what they are planning to do: The discussion about bullet proof vehicles, the hijack training, even pointing to the coast of Libya and saying how rugged it will be along there; FFS it's been a tarmac main road for over 50 years! If this trip is to have any benefit it should help dispel the notion that Africa is all a war ravaged wasteland. Their route is perfectly safe and should focus on all the great things and people they will meet, not overstating the drama.

(We'll pass over the insult of calling our HQ the National Geographic Society - that's in New York - you were being given help by the RGS, you numpties).

Essentially what they are planning to do is follow the same route as loads of cyclists cover each year including all the entrants on the 'Tour d'Afrique'. Loads of others do it on motorbikes and cars all without the drama and nauseating lovey dovey crap.

The bit I loved was when they decided to dispense with the camel backs. That's the only new bit of equipment I would add to my Yamaha XT500 kit that took me through Africa 20 years ago, as keeping hydrated on the move was the biggest problem.

I think it's worth contrasting Michael Palin's trip down Africa on his Pole to Pole with this carnival. He smiled and took a fairly harmonious ride 'with the people' to secure his aims. Here they are planning on ramming the full excess of the hollywood lifestyle down the throat of everyone they meet: 'Hey look at how much stuff we're got!"

And then to say they're doing it for 'Charity'. Makes Smashy and Nicey look sincere.

Top Bottom