The longest road in the world.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The longest road in the world to ride is from Cape Town (South Africa) to Magadan (Russia). No need for planes or boats: there are bridges.

It's a 22,387 kilometers (13911 miles) and it could take about 1,160 hours to travel.

It would be 48 days riding nonstop, or 145 days riding 8 hours a day.

Along the route, you pass through 17 countries, six time zones and all seasons of the year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My calculations might, or might not, be accurate 👀

Screenshot_20231213-072114~3.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Accurate or not I wouldn't like to do the SA leg. The rest should be interesting.

Emanresu

I see this route goes through Rwanda. Is this a route map from a government document on how to get people there?

The Pan American is said to be 19,000 miles but that has a 66 mile gap somewhere in Panama. Someone with Land Rovers took 136 days to cross it.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The longest road in the world to ride is from Cape Town (South Africa) to Magadan (Russia). No need for planes or boats: there are bridges.

It's a 22,387 kilometers (13911 miles) and it could take about 1,160 hours to travel.

It would be 48 days riding nonstop, or 145 days riding 8 hours a day.

Along the route, you pass through 17 countries, six time zones and all seasons of the year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My calculations might, or might not, be accurate 👀

View attachment 716006

Are you aiming at the longest shortest route between two points? As clearly you could do a large wiggle or six off the route shown to take in more countries and it would be longer.

Drago

Legendary Member
The M25 is the longest road. Its endless...

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/lost-on-the-m25/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What makes this one road, and not lots of different roads end to end?

Surely you could make it longer by doing a few detours, via ... I dunno ... Morocco, Portugal, Sweden and India. Other detours are available.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Isn't that a pub trivia question as the M25 isn't actually endless? It actually stops at Junction 30 (going clockwise) and doesn't start again until Junction 2. The stretch through the Dartford crossing from J30 on the north side to J2 on the south is the A282.

Whereas the M60 . . .

What a splendid nerdy "well, actually" fact. I'll file that away for future reference.

Next time I'm at a party and it's not quite wild enough.

The Pan American is said to be 19,000 miles but that has a 66 mile gap somewhere in Panama. Someone with Land Rovers took 136 days to cross it.
That's the Darién gap, between Panama & Colombia. Always dangerous it has become even moreso in recent years due mainly to people trafficking and the gangs controlling that. Believe it or not there are "routes" from Asia and Africa, through Brazil and all the way up to the México/US border.
Despite that, there are a couple of companies that bring tourists in for a "real" jungle experience!

I've been incredibly lucky to ride parts of the Pan American - but I seemed to spend most of my time trying to get off the damn thing! ^_^

Top Bottom