The lorry overtake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
JESUS F***ING CHRIST

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Shocking driving by that driver. Didn't help by having such a crap farcility which shares the lane, so it's actually completely useless!

Hawk

Veteran
Would suggest you go to a police station, perhaps not dressed as a cyclist, and ask to report a road traffic incident. Hopefully they'll give you a form that you can fill in which would be looked at by a traffic officer (not someone on the front desk) who would obviously see this driving as being beyond disgraceful

stowie

Legendary Member
I cycle this road regularly and the only good thing about that stretch of " cycle superhighway" is that it neatly encapsulates everything that is wrong with CS2. I always have the odd car or two doing this, especially if there is traffic in the other lane. I counter by being outside the blue paint generally and will pull in when a car comes right up behind me - that way at least the car has slowed down and it isn't a close pass at speed. But trying to control an idiot in a lorry is simply too much. Please report. Why did he do it anyway, the outside lane was almost empty.

When I see this it makes me angry about the cr*p spouted about cycle superhighways by TfL et al. That sh*t blue paint here just makes cycling more difficult and dangerous - presumably we cannot have a bus lane or wide cycle lane because of traffic smoothing - the powers that be have decided that they must have two lanes for traffic here.

Maylian

Veteran
I haven't been to Thailand but can imagine it is good practice / warning for there? To be honest it looks a horrific pass and whilst I understand you have "something to prove" I would like to think I wouldn't be so quick to put myself in that position again.

Have a great time in Thailand though!

OP
OP
M

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
If you think that wasclose then do not come to Thailand!
I was more concerned at about 02:20 when the cyclist performed a very close manoeuvre and almost collided with a silver car.

If I had hit the car it would have been my fault,but t was perfectly judged/calculated on the fixie everything being taken into account.If it looks bad,sorry about that.

I didn't almost hit him.I had looked around and planned,I was riding the fixie and was very confident of what I was doing..I cycled Thailand last year and the driving is different.The worst drivers mainly were the European drivers,The Thai drivers were very good and mainly most gave us plenty of room.I rode North to South,Chiang Mai - Bangkok

If I had foreseen this incident I wouldn't have been riding where I was riding,total crap and I know it.

OP
OP
M

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I haven't been to Thailand but can imagine it is good practice / warning for there? To be honest it looks a horrific pass and whilst I understand you have "something to prove" I would like to think I wouldn't be so quick to put myself in that position again.

Have a great time in Thailand though!

My position wasn't as horrific as the original pass.The good thing about videos like this is it does actually show up the poor passes,hopefully helping future cyclists who have to put up with this crap.

More annoying for me is I didn't see it coming or I would have been up the pavement.

Thanks for the comments anyway guys.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
.I cycled Thailand last year and the driving is different.The worst drivers mainly were the European drivers,The Thai drivers were very good and mainly most gave us plenty of room.I rode North to South,Chiang Mai - Bangkok
Did you do a solo ride or was it the annual Tour of Thailand which is well policed and marshalled?
How much of your riding was solo in towns and villages during rush hour?

OP
OP
M

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Did you do a solo ride or was it the annual Tour of Thailand which is well policed and marshalled?
How much of your riding was solo in towns and villages during rush hour?

It wasn't policed as it was from north to south Thailand.550 plus miles in ten days with nine other people and two tour guides and two backup vehicles.Check out my videos some of the tour is on there from last year.
I've cycled in Bangkok on my own.More than once.

How many times have you cycled in London recently?
Both are totally different.

What is this some sort of competition?

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
M

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Peter just likes to be controversial, I think. I wouldn't read too much into his criticism. Water off a duck's back mate.

I know what he means by the 2:40 cut to the right,I haven't really got a problem with that but I really do think driving and cycling is different in this country due to drivers attitudes.I had one bad pass at speed by a Bangkok taxi driver in all the time I was there I found attitudes very good but there must be many moped riders over there..The traffic was generally gridlocked anyway.

Thanks mate,people are actually allowed to criticise my videos if they want I just want to explain what my thinking was.

I may post the van video from last nights commute which was very similar where the van cut across me without signalling and I didn't know till late what he was going to do but had already planned what I was going to do if he did cut to the left.(which he did)

I'm not sure what you expected the lorry driver to do. As I see it, from the point you came into the lorry drivers field of view, there wasn't enough time to go down through the gears to slow down enough to sit behind you and he (assuming it was a he) could not move over to the other lane because ther was a lorry right beside him. You were given as much space as it was safe to do. The comment you made about the van and the people carrier giving you room wasn't relevant because those vehicles were travelling in the outside lane, It didn't appear that they moved there because of the presence of a bike on the inside lane.

Top Bottom