the lost keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Cycling out of the petrol station this morning after getting some stuff, I noticed a dropped set of keys on the forecourt. I was late for work so I didn't stop to pick them up and hand them in.

My conscience hit me like a loose conker in autumn straight away. On the rest of the ride in I tried to imagine what would have happened if I hadn't seen them. One thing was immediately apparent, this was going to haunt me throughout the day.

In a meeting I found my mind wondering. Who was the owner of those bereft metallic keys? Was he a working man like me, just trying to get by, sanity intact by clocking off time. Was it an absent minded hoody having a bad day. He didn't mean it lord. I even thought about going back at lunchtime to see if they were still there.

I thought about loss of possessions and innocence; about what really matters. I finally concluded that although someone had lost their keys, in my not handing them in I had lost something far more consequential.

Part of the bit that separates humankind from the animals.

You are A A Gill and I claim my five pounds.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
You are A A Gill and I claim my five pounds.:thumbsup:

er, I'm flattered, but you can read AA Gill for real in the Sunday Times restaurant and television review every Sunday, in the times...

back to the loss of innocence now if you will

I have a certain amount of pompous twat in my personality, I freely admit.:thumbsup:

bonj2

You did the right thing, the first thing the person who has lost them will do is go back to the place where they might have dropped them or retrace their route and look on the floor. The chance of them being found again is fairly remote, but it's even less if you hand them in to the garage - were what will undoubtedly happen is the person behind the counter will just stuff them under the counter or on a shelf or in a drawer, and then they will change shift and they will get forgotten about.

I have lost my keys twice within the last 6 months, both due to falling out of my pocket when falling off my bike. the first time i didn't find them despite going and looking for them on the moors, the second time i went back to the point where i fell off and they were lying there on the floor.

Top Bottom