The Macc Monster Returns! – 13/04/13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KidsCan

Regular
After it was postponed in September 2012 due to severely adverse weather conditions – the wettest September for 30 years in fact – we are happy to announce that The Macc Monster will be back on Saturday 13th April 2013!
Get your bike out of the garage and get peddling to raise vital funds for KidsCan’s childhood cancer research!

Taking place in the Peak District around the Macclesfield area, riders will take in amazing scenery and highs and lows of the stunning countryside.
Covering 100 kilometres, the ride features very little flat land, with a number of challenging climbs.
In fact, you'll complete around 7000 feet of climbing over the entire course!
The route has been organised to avoid A-roads as much as possible, and all parts of the course will be signposted along the way.
Just by participating you'll be helping to raise funds for KidsCan’s Childhood Cancer Research.

We are extremely grateful to the fantastic team at BiG Storage on Fence Avenue in Macclesfield.
They have kindly allowed the cycle to start and finish at their premises.
This is great news as the venue is perfect for our cyclists. It features off road parking, toilets and changing facilities.
Also, it has plenty of room for our catering wagon so all those taking part are able to have some hot food and a drink after peddling round the hills of the Peak District for several hours!

The website for The Macc Monster is undergoing updates at present but if you would like to sign up, please visit www.MaccMonster.co.uk today!

You can also follow The Macc Monster on Twitter http://twitter.com/MaccMonster

Markymark13

Like the sound of this. The website states that the route is often on rugged backroads. Is a full road bike with slicks ok or is it a hybrid only race? The pics look like roadies. Little confused.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I did it in 2011 and virtually everyone was on road bikes. There are no offroad tracks it is all on road, just mostly back roads rather than main A roads. I think the rugged bit is more about the hard hills and surrounding terrain of some of it.

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
That's pretty much answered it for me actually!
Thanks!

It's a challenging ride but a road bike is recommended.

Markymark13

Thanks for that. I dont mind a challenge, just didnt want my bike taking a pounding. Already signed up for the Cheshire cat next year and planning on applying for the fred whitton so will think about this one. Sounds good though.

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
Great stuff!
We hope to see you there. If you would like to support KidsCan by raising some sponsorship we can supply you with all the necessary forms and a JustGiving page if you would like

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
As the Macc Monster is a cycle sportive in aid of KidsCan, I thought I would give you a bit of extra information on Cancer and the treatments that participants will be helping to fund through their sponsorship.

Every day the body makes cells that could be cancer cells. The body can recognise some not all of them as not normal and our own body’s immune system is clever enough to detect them and destroy them. We are currently researching ways of training the immune system to detect all abnormal cells and have our own immune system destroy them.

More information coming soon!
If you have any questions about KidsCan or about The Macc Monster, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
Another scientific update!​
When cancers form they create their own blood vessels to get oxygen. Unlike our normal blood vessels they are very weak and different. We have an anti cancer agent that can kill the blood vessels to a tumour! Essentially this means that if we can kill the blood vessels, the tumour will shrink and possibly die which means that it can be hopefully easily removed.
However, it is too toxic on the child’s heart at the moment so we are looking at ways to reduce this.

By raising sponsorship when you take part in The Macc Monster, you can ensure that our vital childhood cancer research can continue.

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
Did you know December is Children’s Cancer Awareness Month?
KidsCan is encouraging all of its supporters around the country to “Get Purple” and do something amazing to help raise vital funds for childhood cancer research.

By taking part in The Macc Monster, and our other great challenge events throughout the year, you are helping to make sure our vital research can continue.

Research like this: -
We have identified a new class of drug that allows the healthy cells to take charge of cancerous cells thus stopping them developing into tumours in what could provide a new approach to treating early-stage cancers. It is a molecule that can open up communication channels on the surface of cells that then enables healthy cells to 'talk' to the cancer cells. This allows the healthy cells to regain control of the cancer cells, effectively turning the cancer cells back into normal cells.

These amazing pieces of research can only continue with your support.

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
With just under 3 months to go, we're almost at 100 riders for The Macc Monster!
There is still plenty of time to sign up and take part in our amazing 100km ride through the fantastic scenery of The Peak District!
You can do so by signing up on www.maccmonster.co.uk

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far!

Although we know you probably take part in sportives on an almost weekly basis, we would be extremely grateful if you would go the extra mile to support KidsCan by raising some sponsorship.
It’s easier than you think, even in times of austerity.

We can provide everyone taking part with personalised sponsor forms and a www.JustGiving.com online sponsor page.
If you’ve never made one before, don’t worry! We’re more than happy to make it for you.
We can even set you up a JustTextGiving code so people can sponsor you by sending a text!

Whatever you can raise will go a long way to support our vital research into cures and treatments for childhood cancers.

Thank you

tigger

Über Member
Hi,

Can I just check the route for this? The map on your site seems different to the discription on the homepage???

Cheers

Tim

OP
OP
K

KidsCan

Regular
Hi Tim,

We're working on making sure the links are correct.
Rest assured that the entire route will be signposted with bright orange correx signage so you shouldn't go wrong! We've not lost anyone yet!

tigger

Über Member
Hi Tim,

We're working on making sure the links are correct.
Rest assured that the entire route will be signposted with bright orange correx signage so you shouldn't go wrong! We've not lost anyone yet!

Thats alright, I'm sure the signing will be perfect :smile:. Just wanted to get the route straight before I sign up

Top Bottom