The Mayor if Bristol...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We can but hope. :becool:

BigAl68

Über Member
To be honest the path alongside the Portway is a nice enough ride but traffic free would be lots of fun.

BigAl68

Über Member
I like having a cycle friendly mayor even if I do live in Bath. I have many car driving friends who hate the man with a passion but I can't see cities changing unless people decide to make these decisions. I suppose his power to make decisions as an elected super mayor helps him implement things that in the past would have got discussed, discussed again, feasibility study done at huge costs and then not implemented.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
What an abysmal piece of inflammatory clickbait "journalism" from the Bristol Post.

Start by the actual quote from the Mayor:

"They are the two weekends each side of big green week where there are events anyway on the Portway so all we're doing is extending the time that the Portway is open to people as I say, let's look at it positively.

"It is good to be able to the place, on occasions, as it should be experienced – a place of nature.

And then dig into the comments a bit:
Your headline and first paragraph imply that it will be closed on all Sundays, which is obviously misleading.

You fail to mention completely that each of these closures are for an organised event - namely Bristol 10K, Bristol Triathlon, Bristol Sky Ride, Bristol ½ Marathon and finally the Bristol + Bath marathon.

You've also failed to link to any further information such as the dates of these closures, which are 31 May, 14 June, 21 June, 13 September and 25 October.

So there are 5 closures over 22 weeks, all are for events that most would consider important for Bristol and only two of these weekends are consecutive.

After reading your article I thought is sounded like a bit of a bad idea. After reading the facts, it gets my full support.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like having a cycle friendly mayor even if I do live in Bath. I have many car driving friends who hate the man with a passion but I can't see cities changing unless people decide to make these decisions. I suppose his power to make decisions as an elected super mayor helps him implement things that in the past would have got discussed, discussed again, feasibility study done at huge costs and then not implemented.
That's the best bit and why I think he's good for the city, I don't always agree with everything he does but he does get things done rather than get consultations done, he has listened and back tracked occasionally, and instead of being known as the city where we plan but never do any of those plans, things have gone forward! I'd re-elect him if I didn't live outside the BCC boundary. Though I think he ought to be in charge of the entire city of Bristol.

U

User482

To be honest the path alongside the Portway is a nice enough ride but traffic free would be lots of fun.

It's bumpy and narrow in places, plus getting to the Avonmouth bridge via the signed route means crossing the dual carriageway at a point where there are no lights.

I'm looking forward to it - a nice loop for the family would be to go down the Portway from the centre, through Shirehampton, over the Avonmouth bridge, then back into town along the Avon river path.

BigAl68

Über Member
It's bumpy and narrow in places, plus getting to the Avonmouth bridge via the signed route means crossing the dual carriageway at a point where there are no lights.

I'm looking forward to it - a nice loop for the family would be to go down the Portway from the centre, through Shirehampton, over the Avonmouth bridge, then back into town along the Avon river path.

That would be a nice route

U

User482

[QUOTE 3666908, member: 45"]It's a great route, as long as the south-side path isn't too boggy. It can stay muddy for a while in some areas under trees.[/QUOTE]
It's usually ok in spring/ summer, unless we have an extended wet spell. Some sections are a little narrow for a trailer and I wouldn't use a road bike.

Top Bottom