The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Ajax Bay is, I'm fairly sure, referring to this part of the posting guidelines at the top of the 'only for posting rides; this is not the chatzone' thread:
To log a ride, add a post containing all of your 2019 metric centuries to date. One ride per line, with the date, distance, short route description, and any links you want to add. Do not post just a link.
i.e. After various protracted discussions over the last few years, just adding a new post each time you add a ride, with the new ride appended to the previous ones, makes for a more informative and involving overall thread. We tried all sorts of other things and the thread was a) somewhat fractious, b) a bit dead!

If I'm misinterpreting then I'm sure Ajax Bay will correct me in due course ^_^

@Ajax Bay is, I'm fairly sure, referring to this part of the posting guidelines at the top of the 'only for posting rides; this is not the chatzone' thread:

i.e. After various protracted discussions over the last few years, just adding a new post each time you add a ride, with the new ride appended to the previous ones, makes for a more informative and involving overall thread. We tried all sorts of other things and the thread was a) somewhat fractious, b) a bit dead!

If I'm misinterpreting then I'm sure Ajax Bay will correct me in due course ^_^

Possibly so, but I’m new to this particular challenge having only done the 50k one for the last couple of years so still learning the etiquette.

If details of January were required then all anyone had to do was scroll back and they would have seen it was already there.

Not appreciative of the tone of that message either.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Possibly so, but I’m new to this particular challenge having only done the 50k one for the last couple of years so still learning the etiquette.

If details of January were required then all anyone had to do was scroll back and they would have seen it was already there.

Not appreciative of the tone of that message either.
Don't worry about it Chris. I'm sure you just got the whole of last year's protracted debate boiled down into one message! The real point here is that a couple of years back all the posts included a cumulative list of all rides so far, and it gave us all an at-a-glance snapshot of how everyone was getting on .... without needing to search several pages for other posts. I agree it was a positive step to going back to that. I like seeing who is still in and what mix of rides everyone has been doing. I shall look forward to seeing your posts every month too. The more of us keeping it up, the merrier. Keep going and you won't regret it.

Don't worry about it Chris. I'm sure you just got the whole of last year's protracted debate boiled down into one message! The real point here is that a couple of years back all the posts included a cumulative list of all rides so far, and it gave us all an at-a-glance snapshot of how everyone was getting on .... without needing to search several pages for other posts. I agree it was a positive step to going back to that. I like seeing who is still in and what mix of rides everyone has been doing. I shall look forward to seeing your posts every month too. The more of us keeping it up, the merrier. Keep going and you won't regret it.

It’s not an issue to reformat my postings, I shall bear that in mind going forward. Thanks for the help!

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Chris Doyle - I didn't want to say "you need to do it this way" so I tried to just point out what we'd been asked/agreed to do. I had scrolled back to find the January rides of you and @Ice2911 (he of LeJoG fame) - welcome to both of you to the challenge - to see what you did in January.
Each of the monthly challenges run it a different way - I just copied those that were there before me - I commend that as an approach (btw I note that @ColinJ 's post was #2000 in this thread). I try to keep each ride on one line; I commend this as good practice: it keeps the post length down and readable later in the year.
@Sea of vapours inferred my motive and interpreted it accurately: perhaps I was too cryptic. Though I cannot see (after examining it 3 times) what element of @Sea of vapours post could possibly have sparked a 'I don't like that tone' message - please be slow to reach for the pump.
it gave us all an at-a-glance snapshot of how everyone was getting on .... without needing to search several pages for other posts. . . . I like seeing who is still in and what mix of rides everyone has been doing. I shall look forward to seeing your posts every month too.
@Donger has 'donged' the nail on the head - my sentiments entirely.
My ride on Sunday was my first in Leicestershire/Rutland - though I did have an excellent wheel to follow (most of the time) - my daughter's.

@Chris Doyle - I didn't want to say "you need to do it this way" so I tried to just point out what we'd been asked/agreed to do. I had scrolled back to find the January rides of you and @Ice2911 (he of LeJoG fame) - welcome to both of you to the challenge - to see what you did in January.
Each of the monthly challenges run it a different way - I just copied those that were there before me - I commend that as an approach (btw I note that @ColinJ 's post was #2000 in this thread). I try to keep each ride on one line; I commend this as good practice: it keeps the post length down and readable later in the year.
@Sea of vapours inferred my motive and interpreted it accurately: perhaps I was too cryptic. Though I cannot see (after examining it 3 times) what element of @Sea of vapours post could possibly have sparked a 'I don't like that tone' message - please be slow to reach for the pump.

@Donger has 'donged' the nail on the head - my sentiments entirely.
My ride on Sunday was my first in Leicestershire/Rutland - though I did have an excellent wheel to follow (most of the time) - my daughter's.

Roger roger, it was just a breakdown in communication. As mentioned before, I can reformat the posts going forward to suit. :okay:

13 rider

Guru
24 Feb: 120km + 794m: Oakham, Great Dalby, Melton Mowbray, Plungar, Newark, Belvoir, Oakham

13 Feb: 101km + 751m: Weymouth, Moreton, Wareham, Corfe, Wareham, Wool, Crossways, Weymouth
15 Jan: 110km +1002m: Weymouth, Wareham, Arne, Corfe, over Lulworth Ranges, E&W Chaldon, Weymouth
Just noticed your ride on the 24th , Familiar roads to us Leicestershire Ccer the vale of Belvior has some lovely roads hope you enjoyed the change over scenery

Ajax Bay

Guru
your ride on the 24th , Familiar roads to us Leicestershire Ccer the vale of Belvoir has some lovely roads hope you enjoyed the change over scenery
I did enjoy the roads - you are lucky - in a different way to Devon (less than 800m in 120k! but it wasn't (and never seemed) flat). Despite the forecast for the mist to burn off by 11 it stayed around: we had a short stretch in the sunshine around Burrough but then back into the mist till the (in third wheel) bash down the cyclepath alongside the A1 and subsequently the climb up past Belvoir Castle when the sun came out and into our faces. The section going north (Great Dalby to Newark) had the underlying motivation of offering a recce for our Easter Arrow route (Somerset to York). I did Naseby to north of Market Harborough the day before.

13 rider

Guru
I did enjoy the roads - you are lucky - in a different way to Devon (less than 800m in 120k! but it wasn't (and never seemed) flat). Despite the forecast for the mist to burn off by 11 it stayed around: we had a short stretch in the sunshine around Burrough but then back into the mist till the (in third wheel) bash down the cyclepath alongside the A1 and subsequently the climb up past Belvoir Castle when the sun came out and into our faces. The section going north (Great Dalby to Newark) had the underlying motivation of offering a recce for our Easter Arrow route (Somerset to York). I did Naseby to north of Market Harborough the day before.
I came up Burrough hill and followed your route to great dalby on the same day I also had a day of mist ,no mist ,mist then glorious sunshine

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Bit late in contributing to the Metric 100 thread, but as I do a metric ton most months, I thought I'd make sure I'd start, so I do one EVERY month :okay:

January's Metric Century was on my first Forum Sunday Ride around London. I parked in Enfield, rode to Hyde Park Corner for the start, then back to the car afterwards.

_20190227_190529.JPG

Fun ride, meeting several CC members.

Today, just sneaking the February 100 km in, was a solo ride to Northampton Station to catch the train to Berkhampstead so I could ride back home..

_20190227_190708.JPG

106 km, in glorious :sun:

Looking forward to the March Metric ton already.. :smile:

Top Bottom