The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
APRIL- a probable void: I could have easily completed a century ride on April 5th but returned home with only 85k traveled. Now I am sidelined with a calf injury for 3 weeks. CONCLUSION: do it as soon as you can. As they used to say in Chicago "vote early and often".

GOOD LUCK to you all.
Good luck and get well soon. Hope the healing is faster than expected.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'll try and be upbeat. I completed my April Metric century on Saturday. A reasonable lumpy 118km and 1425m DIY of Barry's Bristol Bash audax from the previous weekend. The reason I am not happy is that it was supposed to be my Imperial century/200km ride (for RRtY) this month, I was only half way round the ballbuster route when I failed. Riding solo and post holiday, bad fuelling, physiological and I don't know what else. The four other 200s I have done this year have been far harder due to more elevation, lots night riding, bad weather and yet I mess up the easiest one. I'll have to have another go but in the meantime my 100km is done. Went out yesterday on sociable club ride and ticked off my 50km too, so I don't have those to worry about now.

Onwards.

I'll try and be upbeat. I completed my April Metric century on Saturday. A reasonable lumpy 118km and 1425m DIY of Barry's Bristol Bash audax from the previous weekend. The reason I am not happy is that it was supposed to be my Imperial century/200km ride (for RRtY) this month, I was only half way round the ballbuster route when I failed. Riding solo and post holiday, bad fuelling, physiological and I don't know what else. The four other 200s I have done this year have been far harder due to more elevation, lots night riding, bad weather and yet I mess up the easiest one. I'll have to have another go but in the meantime my 100km is done. Went out yesterday on sociable club ride and ticked off my 50km too, so I don't have those to worry about now.

Onwards.
Sounds tough going but you're still making great progress for the year. As you say, onwards!! :thumbsup:

13 rider

Guru
April's done 102 miles in glorious conditions :sun:. Done in the company of @Supersuperleeds ,@Chris Doyle and his friend Martin . 16 miles to meet point of Market Bosworth then out towards Lichfield to a cafe stop at Curborough looping round the back of Tamworth back to Market Bosworth where we parted company and I took the shorter route home 11 miles for an imperial tone at a nippy 16.5 mph with 3800ft of upness

Last edited:
April's done 102 miles in glorious conditions :sun:. Done in the company of @Supersuperleeds ,@Chris Doyle and his friend Martin . 16 miles to meet point of Market Bosworth then out towards Lichfield to a cafe stop at Curborough looping round the back of Tamworth back to Market Bosworth where we parted company and I took the shorter route home 11 miles for an imperial tone at a hilly 16.5 mph with 3800ft of upness

Great to get out riding with you and @Supersuperleeds again. :okay:

My total mileage was 100.5 for the day, in just a smidge over 6 hours. I always forget how funny some of these tile chasing sessions are sometimes and the lengths you go to to get them! :laugh:

I’m glad we managed to get off the towpath when we did though- don’t think my poor arms could’ve stuck it much more!

https://strava.app.link/DuVDVnUI2V
https://www.relive.cc/view/2304599436
13A6B798-00DA-4079-B46E-CD0AF6C8CAA4.jpeg
8DADC4DB-9E41-4602-9516-8015B7D61D22.jpeg
120A1E52-CE23-485C-B64C-2FEAC1DFE205.jpeg
B4D97376-60C0-46EE-BBF3-D74D0CAD22D7.jpeg
5B5885A8-4596-4529-B269-064EC17E665D.jpeg
7D12DFDB-709B-452E-9AA2-9A9F63B2532F.jpeg
B0FDE518-490D-4225-B090-F7C9883D7BFC.jpeg
7A94CF92-8D7F-4DFC-BDF2-E64CF0C8DF3A.jpeg
F9BE73F0-2FE0-4884-8CE0-20ACFFFEEBE9.jpeg
2CB861C1-2E65-4A59-BE8F-D8D05E8548FF.jpeg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Great to get out riding with you and @Supersuperleeds again. :okay:

My total mileage was 100.5 for the day, in just a smidge over 6 hours. I always forget how funny some of these tile chasing sessions are sometimes and the lengths you go to to get them! :laugh:

I’m glad we managed to get off the towpath when we did though- don’t think my poor arms could’ve stuck it much more!

https://strava.app.link/DuVDVnUI2V
https://www.relive.cc/view/2304599436
View attachment 463196 View attachment 463197 View attachment 463198 View attachment 463199 View attachment 463200 View attachment 463201 View attachment 463202 View attachment 463209 View attachment 463210 View attachment 463211

See you captured my best side :ohmy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
APRIL- a probable void: I could have easily completed a century ride on April 5th but returned home with only 85k traveled. Now I am sidelined with a calf injury for 3 weeks. CONCLUSION: do it as soon as you can. As they used to say in Chicago "vote early and often".

GOOD LUCK to you all.
Yikes - heal fast!

I got my April metric century in today but I didn't really enjoy it. I knew I had lost a lot of fitness with my second bad cold of the year keeping me off the bike, but I didn't want to wait any longer to do the ride, for fear of not getting it done at all.

I devised a route with multiple bail-out options so I could turn it into 50 miles or even 50 kms if I found myself struggling. The problem with doing so when not feeling 100% is that the question keeps arising - do I ride 100 km, 50 miles, or 50km? I had to keep telling my inner wimp to STFU!

I at least arranged my route so that the biggest climbs had cross/tailwinds and the worst headwind was on a long descent, but doing the 4.1 km climb to the top of the B6138 at Blackstone Edge 3 times in just over 2 hours was not fun, even with some wind assistance!

I was doing mental arithmetic mid-ride and realised that I was going to be well under distance. I could have put an extra loop in but the thought of doing that damn climb 4 times really did not appeal! :laugh: I improvised an alternative later on.

Well, that's it done. By local standards it was 'very lumpy' rather than 'hilly' (17m/km vs the usual 20+m/km) but on a windy day and feeling post-viral fatigue 1,700 m (5,600 ft) of ascent felt a bit testing!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Given how little cycling I've done lately, in distance terms at least, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 100km on Sunday. Nice weather helped, and I've treated myself to a pair of Aftershokz headphones so I had music too. Some nice roads, some awful roads, with the best I've every cycled being the loop around the Beaconsfield services of all places.
So, dropped the imperial challenge, still in the other 3...

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well, despite the advice of the physio I accelerated my rehab ride programme and did a minimalist 100k in the Thames Valley today, 29.04; the only hill of note being Tite Hill, the ascent from Egham to Windsor Park which has an 11% sting in its tail.

Tite Hill, nasty little bugger and on my doorstep. I rarely go up it, and downhill is less fun since they put the speed bumps in. I tend to go up Egham Hill the Middle Hill.

Top Bottom