The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Off the mark for the year with a Chilterns ride down to Ipsden and back. The wind was pretty strong (20-25mph) so I decided it was probably easiest (that's a relative term) to ride an almost straight route into the wind and then get some help on the way back. Obviously I picked a route that took me onto the Chiltern's ridge on the way down where the wind was strongest and then off it on the way back ...completely daft!

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm thinking of giving it another go this year, now that my ankle has improved, maybe I'll just post one ride a month not 20........:laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm thinking of giving it another go this year, now that my ankle has improved, maybe I'll just post one ride a month not 20........:laugh:
Go for it!

My back has been playing up since my metric century last week so I haven't done much more cycling, other than short rides to the shops and back.

I am going to have to tackle my neck and back problems because they are starting to have a big impact not just on my cycling, but on everyday life too. I have had them on and off for over 30 years so it is definitely time for action!

I find myself unable to put in a big effort in the later stages of long rides, not because I am tired or short of breath, but because I am in so much discomfort if I try to.

GuyBoden

Guru
Try this:
6_720x_784b438f-aa21-4fd8-a6b4-b95be7118c37.png

13 rider

Guru
Looks like I'm struggling to get off the mark this year . Today's planned 100km was canned off due to ice so that leaves me next Sunday as my only chance . Kicking myself for not going yesterday . Let's hope for half decent weather next week . Out of the 3 challenges I attempt this is the lowest in priority so all age leave it late which I think will catch me out one month

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Looks like I'm struggling to get off the mark this year . Today's planned 100km was canned off due to ice so that leaves me next Sunday as my only chance . Kicking myself for not going yesterday . Let's hope for half decent weather next week . Out of the 3 challenges I attempt this is the lowest in priority so all age leave it late which I think will catch me out one month

Weather forecast is okay for next weekend:

1579436978550.png

Ajax Bay

Guru

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm in too with a separate metric 100, actually ended up with two. Jack and Grace audax was wonderful and sociable round the Severn Vale on Saturday, no ice, not much wind and no rain really. Chilly, misty but that's good for January. The route had to be shortened due to roadworks so I rode up and down the last lane again to make sure of 100.

My Sunday social club has decided to do a 100km ride each month so great fun was had hacking round the Somerset Levels getting very wet and filthy but loving it. Warmed up with refreshments in Burnham on Sea and layering experimentation is paying off. As I always have 15km out and back to the start my total for the day was 118km.

KingswayRider

Über Member
I'm in too with a separate metric 100, actually ended up with two. Jack and Grace audax was wonderful and sociable round the Severn Vale on Saturday, no ice, not much wind and no rain really. Chilly, misty but that's good for January. The route had to be shortened due to roadworks so I rode up and down the last lane again to make sure of 100.

My Sunday social club has decided to do a 100km ride each month so great fun was had hacking round the Somerset Levels getting very wet and filthy but loving it. Warmed up with refreshments in Burnham on Sea and layering experimentation is paying off. As I always have 15km out and back to the start my total for the day was 118km.
I was planning something very similar in route...but approx 74 miles starting from Gloucester (Jack & Grace passes the end of my road). Got as far as Damery before disaster struck. LH crank fell off, so one leg pedalling back to Gloucester. Managed 14mph average from Slimbridge roundabout to Cross Keys roundabout, so could have been worse.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Left it late, but finally off the mark. Not doing any meaningful riding from a couple of weeks before Christmas, prohibited from riding until the middle of last week and crap weather and hospital visits since last week meant today's ride was, from 40 miles, hard work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom