The Micro Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I might need to figure out how to connect the cable to the indicator chain - on the Brompton there's a special bolt with a hole for the cable there, but maybe a regular bolt will do.

Do you mean one of these?
s-l1600.png

I've only ever seen them sold as part of the adjuster.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256375672271

Gunk

Guru

Chris S

Legendary Member
it is indeed a special bolt of sorts - it has one straight edge (I'm not sure what purpose does it serve). I think I can safely replace it with a regular bolt.

The straight edge just stops the bolt rotating when you turn the nut.

The cable actually goes through the bolt, I suppose you could use a regular one as a clamp if you can get it tight enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Today, having watched a video by RJ the bike guy, I managed to straighten the chainring and install the crankset. There's still a bit of a wobble there, but not a whole lot, and with no derailleurs in the picture, it shouldn't be an issue.

While at it, also did the rear brakes.

JO_ehcibdDNuFz6uBdHg=w1306-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Tried to take the folding Chinese pedals apart, in order to service them, no luck. Couldn't even remove the dust cap. Surely there's a trick to it, I just haven't discovered it yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Stickers applied:

KL7MuIXuA9RW733zEIIg=w1306-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I used the heat gun to remove the old decals. While it was still hot, I directed it towards one of the wayward pedals, and softened the dust cap enough to be able to pry it off. Underneath, as expected, was a nut. But what I did not expect is not being able to remove the spindle. I've got a good hold on the nut with a bit on the one hand, and a hex wrench on the other, things are rotating smoothly, albeit with some effort, yet the nut is not coming off. I don't know what kind of magic that is. Out of desperation, I sprayed into the opening with WD-40 (yeah, I know, WD-40 is not a lubricant). I'm running out of ideas about how to make these pedals work. One of the true misses on Aliexpress these pedals.

-siSFIdeidOQPeSCZtcV2=w740-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Chris S

Legendary Member
Underneath, as expected, was a nut. But what I did not expect is not being able to remove the spindle. I've got a good hold on the nut with a bit on the one hand, and a hex wrench on the other, things are rotating smoothly, albeit with some effort, yet the nut is not coming off.
It sounds like you may have stripped the thread on the nut.

PS the non-drive side pedal has a left-hand thread. Perhaps the nut had as well.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

It sounds like you may have stripped the thread on the nut.

You're probably right. Anyway, the other pedal came apart easily (after I applied heat to the dustcap to a point it started to deform). Inside was a simple bushing with a plastic sleeve. These wouldn't have lasted long anyway, so I ordered a new pair.

With that, I've exhausted everything that can be done to this bike until the parts arrive. Back to the Favorit then.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Some of the stuff has arrived, so I put on the chain, the shifter, the front caliper and the left grip. Can't connect the front brake nor put on the right grip yet, because the missing lever is not here yet. Aside from that, it's just the indicator chain missing to be able to ride it, and mudguards, new pedals and a frame clamp to complete this little project.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Packages have arrived today, the brake levers, the clamps for the frame, the chain indicator. Hurray, I thought, test ride today. Yeah, sure.

Brake levers - no problem, on they went, and the grips, and everything is tightened up and tidy. And the front brakes are done, wonderful.

The clamp had to be drilled out, but that's ok.

a3IoP0AVlE0vOC7RupAR=w1117-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

So far so good. Then it was the turn of the chain indicator. I tried pushing it into the hub, but it wouldn't go. I was pretty sure that nothing was left there, so what is the reason? Luckily, I retained the original indicator, the one with the broken chain, and a brief look at both side by side provided an immediate answer:

PZJqCEgAcFWDLvLWIl_lR=w951-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Yup, different diameter of the indicator. So here you go, dear proponents of the intelligent design theory. No universe, in which the same company produces chain indicators in two different diameters, because why the heck not, can be said to have been designed intelligently.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Can this chain be dismantled and moved over to the original indicator? Can I fashion a replacement for the chain - perhaps tie the cable to the one remaining link of the chain? Should I just try and order a new chain indicator - of the correct diameter this time?

So close. So damn close.

P.S. And, of course, Sheldon Brown has an article on the subject, that fully explores the variety of spindles out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom