The Moon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

This might seem a dumb question but is has been driving me nuts for a few days now.

Does the moon always rise from the same point on the horizon? (i.e. like the sun always rises in the east). Someone must know.

Melvil

I don't think so because that's how we have the different tides at spring etc. But I'm not certain!

Tetedelacourse

I think (but don't know) the answer is yes. Moon rise is determined by the moon's position relative to Earth's rotation. I don't think this changes.

The tides are affected by the moon's relative distance to Earth and the corresponding fluctuations in gravitational pull.

There are some good pub-facts about the moon. e.g.

1. we only ever see the same side of the moon from Earth - there is a "far" side of the moon which is always hidden from Earth. Not to be confused with the "dark" side of the moon, which changes depending on its position relative to the sun.

2. The moon wobbles, so rather than seeing only 50% of it from Earth, we can see just over 60% of its surface.

The moon rotates around the earth at a constant level orbit close to that of the earth's orbit around the sun but the earth's annual wobble means that our viewpoint of the heavens, including the moon, changes with the seasons. So the moon's rising and setting points move backwards and forwards across the horizon.

Tetedelacourse

Chuffy said:
Not being able to view the above user's post, can anyone tell me if it includes reference to the BBC, local government or climate change?

If so, I owe myself a fiver.

eh, if you've chosen to ignore him, then ignore him;)

Simon, I thought the same about your membership on CC:evil:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The answer is most definitely no. If you compare full moons you'll notice that although you don't see the "far side" of the moon, it doesn't stay constant, "nodding".

papercorn2000

simoncc said:
There is no moon. The Americans project it on to the sky using evil methods.

So why bother with the whole phases thing?

And how do they work the tides? I reckon it's because the Earth moves. If you move a basin of water then the water sloshes back and forth. It must be the same with tides. Only slower.

Top Bottom