The most cycling pain I have known!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
I used to ride 72" fixed all the time and once a year took the bike up Streatley Hill, just to prove to myself that it was there and that I could still do it.
Then the bike broke and a break of several years from the above ensued.......until this morning that is, when I took my new fixie (42x16) up.

'what's the worst that can happen (apart from intense lactate burn, blurred vision and extreme nausea... ahem...)?'.........yeah and the rest!

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Maybe I should have put that in the Cafe?

The Timetrial site recommends a 39x21 and let's see, you used a 42x16.

Right: This might account for the pain then. You made it though didn't you?

What's the average gradient on that then and how long is it?

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Crackle said:
The Timetrial site recommends a 39x21 and let's see, you used a 42x16.

Right: This might account for the pain then. You made it though didn't you?

What's the average gradient on that then and how long is it?

I did make it...but only just! I'm pretty sure the time trialers do it quicker;)
I suppose it averages 1 in 6 over the best part of a mile. There's a sting in the tail though, where it gets just that little bit steeper near the top.

Oooh! :smile: I wouldn't have made that on a 42x16. I'd have struggled on a 39x21. I just make it to the top of a short 1:5 on a 42x25/23. I am truly crap at climbing, s'why I struggle so much around here. Hats off, good effort.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do the evil that is Cudham Hill (In bromley), a horrible 25%er at least once a week. Some days it's easy, some days it bites back..

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There is worse pain to be had than hill climbing, and that's intervals. I presume they're fairly similar on a bike, though I've only really done speedskating intervals.

The breathless agony in your thighs and butt can be exquisite, and lead you to throwing up by the end of a set. 500m x 10 x 3min rest inbetween each, less than 5 minutes of actual skating. Who'd think that short distance could be so painful!!!

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I have a pair of inline skates, which I have not used for many years.
Perhaps I should dust them off. I'd love to have a go at speed skating.

Top Bottom