The most embarrassing question ever...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
The lawyer lips on the front wheel do cause a bit of a delay when you have to unscrew the nut an extra few turns to clear them, but it's not really a problem. For the back wheel, make sure the chain is on the smallest cog (highest gear) before taking the wheel out, that way it drops off easily and is also simple to line up when putting the wheel back on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sense PanicPunky but this ride is still a while away. You have time to sort all this out you know :biggrin:

Are you imagining puncturing as you come off the boat. You bend down to sort it out and meanwhile everyone else cycles off leaving you alone and stranded by yourself in a strange and weird country where all the words end in shhh and everyone cycles past in clogs ignoring you ;)

Fear not: Practice on Jane's bike. Stab her tyres while she's not looking and then watch as she figures out how to fix it :evil:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Crackle said:
I sense PanicPunky but this ride is still a while away. You have time to sort all this out you know :smile:

Are you imagining puncturing as you come off the boat. You bend down to sort it out and meanwhile everyone else cycles off leaving you alone and stranded by yourself in a strange and weird country where all the words end in shhh and everyone cycles past in clogs ignoring you :biggrin:

Fear not: Practice on Jane's bike. Stab her tyres while she's not looking and then watch as she figures out how to fix it :biggrin:

But, but, but, but!!!!! :sad: I want to know what I'm doing so I don't look stupid and don't have to go to the lbs for every single screw that needs tightening - even if they don't leave me behind in the ferry terminal!!! But yes, I do have a tendency to become PanicPunky :biggrin:

As for Jane's bike - I do like the idea, A LOT!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: Only problem is, she would expect me to fix it - I even had to put her bottle cages on as she was too scared, so I suppose in the greater scheme of things I'm a bike expert really!! :smile::biggrin:

:biggrin::smile:

Sometimes the only way to learn is to do it, get it wrong, be shown and do it again. And if you're anything like me, you need to repeat that cycle a few times.

Anyway there's no such thing as a dumb question, just a dumb answer, so keep asking. Answers so far are pretty good.

buggi

Bird Saviour
John Ponting said:

that pretty much covers it. for those with road bike shimano brakes you don't need to disconnect the cable on the brakes, there is a little lever that you just flick up.

when i close my QR i like it to be a little harder than that to push in. makes me feel more secure, but my mate doesn't and he laughs at me :smile:

yea well, we'll see whose laughing when his wheel comes off. :blush:

i think mine has got lawyer tabs on it. doesn't make that much difference, it just doesn't drop straight down, rather down and back if you know what i mean.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've done it on the road side (after being given a lift), just lifting up the front end - however it was those occasions that the brake rubbed but I think now I understand the problem I would get it right next time.

If you turn it upside down - things like your bell, lights on the handlebar or computer get damaged.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i turn it upside down if i'm doing my back wheel. if not i keep it upright and just rest it on the front forks when the wheel is out.

02GF74

Über Member
doing it upside down should present no problems - to avoid scratching the shifter windows (ountain bike) or other paraphenalia, put an old towel on the floor first.

when the wheel is in, do up the QR lever. then turn bike right way up, undo lever, let the spindle settle then do up the lever again - I do this as I have found that sometimes the drop outs may be tight so grip the hub.

the upright/undo sequence uses the weight of the bike to seat the hub in the drop outs.

Top Bottom