The new bike has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
First ride report.

The front wheel will feel light, because IIRC Cube use Schwalbe lightweight tubes.

They are light, aren't they? The back wheel now has a rather more hefty Conti tube!

I'll also start another thread for recommendations on tyres with sidewalls that aren't made of cheese.

Before I set out this morning, I tried out my new shock pump. The +ve chamber was set at 100 and the -ve at 60, so I reduced them to 55 and 45 respectively, and got on the bike. I used the dining-table for support as I got on to keep my weight off the bars, and the sag went to just under 30%, so I put another 5psi in each chamber, which put it closer to 25%. I also reduced the pressure in the tyres, which arrived pumped up so hard I couldn't even make a depression in them with my thumb, but was mindful of the tyres being a bit fragile, so kept them a lot firmer than on my old bike.

On the road, it rides like a dream. With the forks locked out, it spins up easily, and it doesn't grind to a virtual halt the moment you come to a bit of a hill. (Mostly due to the lightweight tyres, I suspect, so I'd better not get used to that!) I followed one of those "hardcore XC riders" that Greg's told me about up the main climb. (You could tell he was that type of MTBer because he was stick thin, and his pedals were going round so fast his feet were a blur.) I stopped about half way up to let some more air out of my tyres because the back one was losing grip, and didn't see him again after that. My tyres were still considerably firmer than on my old MTB.

The climb felt easy. I did it in the middle ring. In fact, I didn't use the granny ring once during the ride. (There are longer climbs where I'll definitely want to use it.)

Once you get to the top of the climb, there's a nice undulating trail, which is what I was aiming for to get a feel for the bike, and I was making brisk progress until I came to a bit of descent that's been made tricky by water carving grooves across the trail. I was looking for an easy place to cross, then decided to see what the Rebas were made of and just hit the deep groove at a slight angle. My old bike would have had me off if I'd tried that. The front wheel tracked through nicely and the rear wheel followed it.

I was grinning stupidly at how easy it was when the back wheel jolted sideways and something shot out the other way. (On my way back, I saw it was a loose rock a bit larger than a tennis ball.) I shrugged my shoulders and carried on - it was only the back wheel, it had happened to me loads of times before, and it hadn't upset the bike's handling at all - then I heard the hiss and looked down to see the back tyre was flat as a pancake.

A lot of swearing later, I removed the tyre (easily, with just my hands - never done that before), and found a tiny hole in the side of the tube. I examined the tyre quite carefully because I only had one spare tube with me, but there was nothing in it, so it was obviously a pinch puncture, as I'd assumed. I replaced the tube, pumped the tyre up as hard as my little arms could manage, and then did the same with the front.

Even with the tyres pumped up very hard, the Rebas made the ride a dream. I always think the sign of a good piece of equipment is that it does its job so well you forget it's there. That's exactly what it was like. The ride was obviously clattery because of the hard tyres, but the front went where I pointed it, and the back felt much more planted as well, presumably because it could just trail along nicely and wasn't having to veer around to try and follow the front. I decided to go back down so I could do the climb again and try and beat my PR on the Strava segment while I still had lightweight tyres on the bike, and I noticed halfway down the descent that my shoulders were down and relaxed without me having to think about it.

I beat my PR on the Strava segment by over a minute and moved up a place on the leaderboard.

At one point, on a particularly bone-shaking section, I found myself singing a Beach Boys song to myself (I'll leave you to figure out which one), which is something I've never felt relaxed enough to do off-road.

I can't wait to get out on it again - hopefully tomorrow. I'm going to put the tyres from my old MTB on it for now. They're pretty narrow at 1.95" but I think they'll give me a better ride than the Ralphs will pumped up hard, and after today's experience, I don't really trust the Ralphs enough to go very far from home with them.

There's one positive thing that came out of the visit today. I hadn't had a visit from the fairy for over 4 years, and I was worrying because I didn't have an old tube to wrap around the chainstay. Problem solved :biggrin:

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Your brakes are set up for two finger braking. If you do want to try one-finger stuff, then make sure you can wrap your hand all the way round the grip, and reach the ball at the end of the lever with the first joint of your forefinger for max leverage. You'll need to move the levers inboard of the shifters, and play around until it all feels right.

I decided I'm going to be the kind of MTBer that Brian and Lee think is weird, and operate the brakes with my second finger! I find it really comfortable and natural.

I was going to move the brake levers over, but couldn't figure out how to get the grips off, when they didn't just slide of after I'd loosened the 2 screws at the end, so I left them where they were and adjusted the reach a bit so they were closer to the bars. Once I started riding, I found I was naturally putting my second finger round the end of the brake lever and keeping my other fingers wrapped round the bars.

I'm not sure why, but I had absolutely no trouble with the front brake being on the left when using them this way. The bike's booked into the lbs to get them changed over tomorrow, but I don't think I'll bother.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
oner thing made me smile. the idea that somehow in the event of things going pear shaped one might be able to land with both feet flat on the floor thus using the stand over height. Well, maybe, one day.... there must be a knack to it ;)

No. There's no knack. It's for when you have to stop suddenly when someone's out of control small child or dog runs in front of you. I did that once on a borrowed MTB that was too big for me, and it bloody hurt. I can't imagine how painful it would have been if I was a man.

Surely something like this is better alternative to either a full blown ruck/knapsack style camelback or bottles. Back in the 90'd we all used fanny packs along with frame mounted water bottles until we wised up and/or got e coli from the cow muck!

If you must put your bottles on the bike surely behind the saddle is the best place provided they don't then stop you getting off the back.

I suppose behind the saddle might work with a dropper seat post, as long as I can find a bracket that's strong and secure enough. (I did some investigation before I bought the bar mounted one, but the reviews weren't very confidence inspiring.)

And as for the waist thing ... I'm already looking at minimalist tri-suits for next summer to get rid of the waistband on my shorts because it makes me so sweaty and uncomfortable. I briefly considered bibs, but they would just add an extra layer on my upper body. Someone needs to design a women's all-in-one that has lightweight, padded shorts and a strappy top.

(You should bear in mind that I'm starting the "change" and women get very overheated and sweaty at that point in their lives.)

you sure you are on the correct size frame - there is a lot of seat post showing - you assume that you old MTB is correct size for you.

It's definitely the right size. And they wouldn't supply it with a seat post that long if they weren't expecting people to use it.

Looks fab enjoy your early xmas present ps some vidio,s would be nice of your rides.

I wish! With everything else I've spent out on lately, a helmet cam is on luxury item I can't afford.

I'll try not to get too hung up on weight but as a slightly over 13 stone bloke I do need a lighter bike - I'm rubbish at climbing, but as you say - the kit it comes with is just as important I suppose. :thumbsup:

Have you thought about losing some weight off the rider? I'm not trying to imply that you're fat because 13 stone isn't that heavy for a man unless you're a short-arse! But, if you want to save weight, most people can get much more benefit from losing it off themselves than trying to save a relatively small amount on the weight off the bike. I can't lose any weight because I'm already at the lowest weight I can be and still stay healthy, so any weight saving for me has to be on the bike.

My ride today does bear out what I said about components and where the weight is located being more important. The Cube is only 1.6kg lighter than my old BH, but it rides as if it's a whole lot lighter than that. You might find the same with your mate's Orange - that the relative ease of climbing is a lot more about the choice of components than the actual overall weight.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yep Lulubel I'm trying! ^_^ At 50 though I've noticed how much harder the flab is to shift - the good news is that 6 months ago I was a 14 stone something so I'm going in the right direction. There may come a point at my age and my natural build that I may have to accept that I aint gonna get any slimmer/fitter - that's where I'm looking at a lighter bike to help - but I know one thing - I aint giving up the ale! ^_^

Your report has enthused me btw, sounds like you've got a great bike and I'm looking forward to my upgrade already.

Cubist

Still wavin'
First ride report.

:biggrin:
Now that's what I call a first ride report. You seem to have been determined to test the bike and yourself and have put all the hard work and research into practice.

One recurring theme, and you've reiterated it to Motozulu, is that quality componentry and build are far more important than weight figures alone. Without sounding too patronising, we often see people asking for recommendations for budget MTBs, and it's pretty difficult trying to recommend a bike with bargain basement forks to be ridden on bridleways. Yes, it can be done on a budget, but how much better is a more than bargain basement bike?!?!

Those Rebas will continue to be a fork of choice for a very long time, and now you finally know why you wanted them so badly!

One thing though: Today you were concentrating, and working hard at picking lines and getting a feel for your brakes. Tomorrow you may be facing a much trickier set of circumstances, and will rely on instinct for braking. Grabbing a massive handful of front brake at the wrong time will have consequences. Have the levers swapped over for peace of mind.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
One thing though: Today you were concentrating, and working hard at picking lines and getting a feel for your brakes. Tomorrow you may be facing a much trickier set of circumstances, and will rely on instinct for braking. Grabbing a massive handful of front brake at the wrong time will have consequences. Have the levers swapped over for peace of mind.

In that case, you've just put an argument for NOT swapping them over. If I'm going to grab a massive handful of anything, it will be whichever is attached to the right lever, because my roadie brain tells me that's the one I need to pull hard if I really need to stop quickly. I did that recently on the old MTB when a pedestrian stepped out in front of me in town, and she had to dodge out of the way as I carried on down the road with the back wheel sliding!

Seriously, I'm going to stick with it for now and see how I get on. It felt really comfortable today. I can say the same of the brakes as I did of the Rebas. I expected to have to put a lot of thought into my braking because I've never used discs before, but they just did their job with what felt like minimal input from me. But if the honeymoon period comes to an end and I start feeling less comfortable with them, I'll get them swapped.

Motozulu

Über Member
I'm looking forward to getting a bike with better forks now I must admit - pretty sure my 'offs' so far are me pushing the XCM's beyond where they want to go. Reba's sound good from L's report, so that'll be a minimum requirement on the next steed. Had my heart set on the Radon Black sin but after some quick number crunching, that aint gonna happen (mortgage, kids, Mrs, blah-di-blah) so it's looking like the cycle2work route.
So for a grand the Boardman Pro keeps coming up.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777721_langId_-1_categoryId_165499
Not the bike I would have gone for but the more I look at the specs and the awards it's won from MTB mags...it's looking like a no brainer. Just remind me L...what brakes has your new bike got?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Boardman HT Pro. @drago of this parish has strong opinions on them. I've got the previous model, the white one, and love it. A very racy out and out XC bike though; not a trail bike but I'm looking into a works components headset to change some of that nervous thoroughbred feel on the steep descents.

Of course the Boardman Team FS is within your reach, a bike about which singletrack said 'why would you spend any more?'

Motozulu

Über Member
Decided I'm not going down the full susser route Greg, want to stick to HT right now. The Pro HT gets top reviews and they reckon the reba's should eat up Cannock red routes? If I was contemplating bike park type descents then deffo would go for the FS version. Thanks though and interesting what you say about the nervy descent characteristic - do you think that may have been addressed with the new 'un or is the geometry the same?

Drago

Legendary Member
Boardman HT Pro. @drago of this parish has strong opinions on them. I've got the previous model, the white one, and love it. A very racy out and out XC bike though; not a trail bike but I'm looking into a works components headset to change some of that nervous thoroughbred feel on the steep descents.'
At last - soneone who not only owns one, but who understands how a bikes geometry affects its behaviour.

You got it bang on the nose chap. Not a bad bike by any means, but simply ill suited as the trail bike they market it as. As you've discovered, the light weight and flighty geometry make it a surprisingly adept XC machine for not a lot of money, in on slicks a stunningly good fun Tarmac terrorist.

Motozulu - don't trust nanufacturers geometry figures as there's no universal standard for measuring. We go with tyres, without tyres, using the axles as a horizontal base line etc

Same with weight - some quote a ride ready bike, others exclude tyres, others pedals etc.

The only way to be sure is to visit some large shops or, better still, visit a trail centre when there's a manufacturers demo day on and they have a fkeet if machines for you to proper test. The big 3 do this a lot, the other brands to a lesser extent.

Motozulu

Über Member
Thanks Drago but I've had a look - I believe the last model was with 100mm of travel up front? this model has 120mm - I'm assuming this will have an affect on the way it behaves on trails now?. Different angle at the front?

Top Bottom