The New Radiohead album

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I paid two quid too which I think is about right for a download. If it grows on me then i'll buy the CD when it comes out.

Melvil

SamNichols said:
You don't like the first half you say? I loved the first half - track 1 is all a bit square pusher and beaty, which i love. Two is upbeat and makes me happy. Three is nude, which I've been hearing since before ok computer, so I am surprised they recorded it in an album version (great version though!), and Weird Fish makes me want to dance. Alot.
But, yes, Reckoner is also brilliant

Maybe the first half will grow on me! Only listened to it a handful of times so...

I must say my favourite radiohead track is probably 'Meeting in the Aisle' which was a B-side to their Karma Police single. A very dancey and full tune with no vocals.

jonesy

Guru
Big Bren said:

I'm another Kid A fan btw - I saw them on that tour and they were superb. 'Everything In It's Right Place' gives me goosebumps.

Bren

Also being a Kid A and Amnesiac fan I found that BBC review rather encouraging, so have just downloaded the new album. Sounds very promising.:biggrin:

bonj2

they had a couple of good albums in the late nineties iirc, then went all electronicky-bleepy rather than proper guitars and drums. have they come out of that phase now?
I always remember one of my mates when i was a student went on a 10-minute rant about, basically, why are all the songs miserable - you're a rock star you've nothing to bitch about. Ever since then I've not been able to help finding his voice really whingey.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

bonj said:
they had a couple of good albums in the late nineties iirc, then went all electronicky-bleepy rather than proper guitars and drums. have they come out of that phase now?
I always remember one of my mates when i was a student went on a 10-minute rant about, basically, why are all the songs miserable - you're a rock star you've nothing to bitch about. Ever since then I've not been able to help finding his voice really whingey.

If you're saying that their last albums weren't good, then actually late 90s is cutting it a bit - OK Computer lost out on the '97 mercury prize to Roni Size (they probably regret that decision in retrospect), the Bends was 2 years before that, and Pablo Honey was '92. So, their best albums to you were over 10 years ago now. But, with this album they've cut back a bit on the bleeps and bought back the guitars (as they did on their last album) - easily definable songs are back, and I love it.

Smeggers

Sam: This album is indeed very good. Thanks for not making me listen to the loody BBC!!!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
There is a piece in tonight's paper saying that after one month:
- 60% of downloaders had paid nothing for the album
- the highest amounts paid were about six pounds
- the average amount paid was two pounds ninety pence
- the CD had been downloaded about 1.2 million times

Melvil

Alan H said:
There is a piece in tonight's paper saying that after one month:
- 60% of downloaders had paid nothing for the album
- the highest amounts paid were about six pounds
- the average amount paid was two pounds ninety pence
- the CD had been downloaded about 1.2 million times

Funnily enough I expected the album to be downloaded many more times than that - though I suppose through P2P it probably has...

I paid around the average for it and thoroughly enjoyed the album so I've no regrets.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Melvil said:
Funnily enough I expected the album to be downloaded many more times than that - though I suppose through P2P it probably has...

I paid around the average for it and thoroughly enjoyed the album so I've no regrets.

Radiohead don't have that massive a market to be honest, and I still no loads of people who, galled by the bitrate, have waited for the cd to come out. If it weren't 40quid I'd invest in the vinyl.
Looking back on it, I do feel kind of bad for the £1 i paid for it, and probably would've bumped that up to around 4 (what they would get from their record label anyway). But, still: they've not lost money out of it, are making a pretty penny on the boxsets, will release a full price cd anyway and have gained only good publicity from the enterprise. Unsurprisingly the record labels haven't gone into melt down as they suggested they would.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If 40% of 1.2m downloaders paid 2.90 each, the album has gone 1.6 times platinum and raised GBP1,392,000. Not a bad month's work.

Top Bottom