The next step

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I'm looking at doing the London to Canterbury ride next month. You can do either 65 or 80 miles depending on your chosen route. Currently my ceiling is around 55-60 but I'd like to do the 80 for what will probably be the last big ride of the year. Does anyone have any tips on how to get that extra mileage out of your legs?

The ride is about a month away so I have time to do extra training where possible. Is it just a case of riding more and going further to build it up?

Zoof

Hello,

I'm looking at doing the London to Canterbury ride next month. You can do either 65 or 80 miles depending on your chosen route. Currently my ceiling is around 55-60 but I'd like to do the 80 for what will probably be the last big ride of the year. Does anyone have any tips on how to get that extra mileage out of your legs?

The ride is about a month away so I have time to do extra training where possible. Is it just a case of riding more and going further to build it up?
Hi matt; you have got a touch of the doubts, we all have that, push them to one side. You can easy do this run: just go for it do or die. Yes you’ve hit the nail (riding more and going further to build it up) But not much time left now to train You can adopted two strategy's to deal with the extra distance. Have a good breakfast then eat every hour or so: just double what you normally eat. London to Canterbury estimated 3200 k run, so eat 4000 k Set off very slow half-pace for first 2 hours: bloody boring but it can stop the embarrassment of walking in. Make yourself rest at regular intervals. Then raise your arms as you cross the line in Canterbury; Zoof

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I assume the ride will be a lot of cyclists riding the same route?

Try to get into groups that are around your speed , or even a little bit faster as you can save a good 30 % of your energy if you ride with a group "drafting" the leaders .
If you can do try to take the odd turn at the front even if it is a token effort.

I did my 1st sportive in May after only doing about half the distance before hand and i got on fine .

remember to keep your energy levels up by eating ( i was told every half hour or so from the start).I used a mixture of energy bars along with a cake stop halfway to refuel the water bottles .
Eat before you feel you need energy and drink before you are thirsty .

I took a tube of glucotabs that i bought from boots and they certainly helped to keep my energy levels up ! when i needed a boost .

ambintw

Matt, if you can do 60 miles, you could easily do the 80 miles. :smile:

As CyberKnight said above, make sure you keep taking carbs, electrolytes and fluids regularly and you'll be fine.

Have a great one!

montage

God Almighty
A bit of an idea, you have a month to train, so how about a bit of interval training a couple of times a week?

It's more productive time wise to fit into your weeks, you'll get fitter from it and build leg strength, meaning you can take the hills a bit easier, which will take the sting out of the legs, letting you go further for the same amount of effort, or faster over the same distance.

I believe that speed work for short distances will help most people looking to up their milage considerably, it just makes sense. If you want some ideas for interval training just post up on here and I'm sure myself or others will oblidge.

Top Bottom