The Not Working from home thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have moaned about it in many other threads, worked throughout (which for various reasons, I'm very happy to have) but we at work have come to the conclusion, industries like ours are probably a great source of infection. How can you have hundreds of people, many of whom dont give a flying fig about social distancing or mask wearing, who wont self isolate given a choice because they think money is everything, where one factory shut down temporarily in Cambs...and we had a sudden influx of new agency workers....that we suspect came from that factory ? We've had around 50 known cases, who knows how many unreported ones....and one death.
I said early on in the first lockdown, many would be absolutely horrified if they saw how some factories are working...our employers have spent tens of thousands on screens, signage, covid wardens, one way systems....but at the end of the day, you cant educate stupid....and a great deal of our agency staff are stupid.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've been on-site throughout the last year- for some of that period I was on-site some days and at home others, but more often I've been in all week. The majority of people on site- I think there are about 200- can work from home and have been (it requires permission to be on site so no-one can just turn up).

Most days two to four of us who are lab-based have been coming in. We have more labs than staff so distancing is not difficult. Apart from us there is one warehouse person (not in the same area) the post room guy (different building), occasional IT people for server issues (different building), a few facilities staff. It's been pretty good, we wear masks all day, distancing is pretty much built-in, if I need to talk to a colleague then we Skype even if we're in the same building. I've had an unusually good experience in that respect.

There is a bit of a 28 days later vibe on site if there's only a couple of us in.

Also there's no expectation to be on site- if one of us feels ill we can stay home. If there wasn't enough people for safe operation then the department would close for a while.

Last edited:
I haven't worked at home one single day yet, and I'm very happy about it! (Apart from NHS staff, am I unique on CycleChat?)

We have quite a big building, so once all the paper-pushers (AKA "managers") were sent home, we could stay well apart. PPE is sensibly issued for the brief tasks where some folks have to buddy-up. We can't make things without a skeleton staff on site, and a lot of paperwork can't be done totally electronically.

Two cases so far, but we believe both were infected via family/friends. Lat Flow Test kits have just arrived from the government, to start using at the weekend!

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ask your wife who still does? :smile:
I can't - she always seems to be at work! :laugh:

In all seriousness, I tell her every few days that she doesn't need to work and she should join me in retirement. However, not only is she a decade younger than me and has a decade more energy left in her, she's worried that if she stops pushing herself then the MS will tighten it's grip on her and she'll never regain the ground she loses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom