The Old Pedal Debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
You can never have too much Haribo. And sometimes you get a bonus, in the box I collected yesterday was Haribo and a free energy bar to try. :biggrin:

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Maybe they will put a new carbon road bike in the box for me to try! ;)

PK99

Legendary Member
Ok so i've read about the differences between SPD & SPD-SL but i have one question hopefully with a simple answer (as if!). I ride a specialized trip-cross which i have put full road tyres on as i don't use it as a cycle cross bike. I had intended to use it on some light off road canal paths etc when i first brought it hence the reason for going for a cycle cross rather than a full road bike (if only i could turn back time) i also fitted some shimano spd MTB style pedals on it as i wanted to be able to walk.

I am now considering two things the first to buy another full road bike (maybe another thread for bike ideas may follow! ;)) but also switching to the SPD-SL type pedal as i've heard they are better on road bikes for longer rides. As i am now riding between 50-100 miles at a time i was wondering if they make that much difference as i haven't had the opportunity to try any and don't want to fork out money for new shoes and pedals if it really doesn't make much difference.

I use SPD's on MTB, tricross and Van Nic Yukon 50/60 mile road rider twice a week 150 total (welll mebbee not in winter), several centuries and have never had an issue. Mates on the same rides faff around putting protectors on their road cleats an'of hobble into the pub like a 90 year old (... well actually we had a 90 year old on the ride yesterday, Ray would be most upset at any suggestion he hobbles, he rides spd's)

Top Bottom