The Open - TV coverage or in the flesh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I face a dilemma.

The Open has been extended to Monday and tickets are £10. They are normally £80 for the final day. £10 recognises the fact no one will be there so they're trying to lure the crowds!

The problem is, you don't get to see much of the action at the event. It's more a series of "OMG, there's Jordan Speith" moments than seeing the various dramas unfold.

But £10 to be there on the final day!! If it wasn't for the fact is miss The Open on TV, I'd go without question!!!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Set your recorder and watch after you get back from your £10 day out :wacko:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I know, seems logical. Did that last week at the Scottish Open but spent the day tearing about the course trying to see some action.

Couldn't actually get close enough to see Ricky's shot into 18 and had to rely on the noise to know whether he made the putt or not.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to live for golf..sad i know..its better on tv..

i got half way to Wentworth and the mrs decided it was an IBS day ,we turned round....so my special treat went down the pan..never botherd with live after that..

must say 10 quid for St Andrews..600 mile drive...hmmmm lol,maybe not but im tempted..

Brandane

Legendary Member
I once went to the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando for a day. The dilemma was whether to stay in one position and watch all the players passing through, or to pick one group of players and walk round the course with them, thereby seeing the whole course. I went with the latter option and thoroughly enjoyed the day! No doubt about it though; you'll get better coverage on TV, and replays for when you miss that hole in one when someone opens their brolly in front of you. Oh, and you won't get wet in your living room :okay:.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's a tricky one - you can't beat the atmosphere of actually being there, but its totally pot luck if you'll see anything of note and could end up missing all the action. TV doesn't have the atmosphere but you won't miss a thing, you'll get to see it from a dozen different angles and all the analysis you can handle.
That said, for a tenner I'd probably take a chance on being there but make sure to set the Sky+... ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In ten years time what will you remember - watching a bit of telly or actually being there being part of the atmosphere? I have lost count of the amount of TV sport that I have watched, but remember so much about major sporting events I actually go to.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I went to the Open last year on the Saturday. Thursday, Friday and Sunday had lovely weather and it rained most of Saturday but this didn't spoil the day. The atmosphere is great and to be close up to the top players is worth the money especially if it's only £10 tomorrow. If I lived closer I wouldn't hesitate to go.

Try to plan your day and decide which holes you want to see. Par 3's greens are worth getting close to as you can see the tee shot then watch them putt out.

Of course you won't see every shot played but that's what the recorder or highlights package is for. Go for it and come back on here on Tuesday to tell us what a great day you had.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
TdF, do you see more on the TV or actually going to watch the riders? I love watching on TV because you get to see everything that goes on (almost), but standing on Holme Moss last year, I'll never forget that. Go for it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Paul Dunne...Amateur..11 under..great day today..superb conditions for shooting a low score today.

ive got a quick job to do in the morning and then this to fill my day..

Last edited:
Top Bottom