The Organ Donor thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its time to own up - confess you Organ Donor moments here and hope for absolution.:blush::becool:

On the first day of the summer holiday after I completed my AS-Levels, my friend and I decided to make the most of the gorgeous weather to really get an adrenaline hit.

Taking his brothers downhill longboard (without asking) we proceeded to trudge all the way to the top of the 1km long, very steep hill, that he lived on. At the top we donned our MX bodyarmour and helmets. We then sat on the board, me on the front, him right behind me, his legs wrapped over mine so that his feet were in the gap between my crotch and my feet.Then we pushed off.

I don't actually remember anything from a day prior to doing this, until I woke up in hospital 34hours later, and even then all it is are a few fuzzy snapshots of blue curtains, I don't have proper memories until a good 2 weeks after being release from hospital.

There was a police investigation of the crash scene and the report is pretty terrifying. The crash investigators said that we drifted wide over the centreline on a LH corner and hit a glancing blow to the side of a car coming up the hill. There was a very round shaped dent in the door, created by my head. My friend slid into the dirt bank at the side of the road, bounced off it and tumbled a long way down the road, and I am presumed to have been spun round by the face to door impact and slid down the road face down. As an estimate based on the damage done, distance thrown etc they estimated we hit the car at or just under 40mph.

The damage was pretty serious.

Friend
  • Broke all 4 fingers in his right hand
  • Broke both bones in right forearm
  • Dislocated left knee
  • Broken left ankle

Me
  • Unconcious for 34hours
  • The force of my face hitting the car door made the helmet strap dislocate my jaw and my front two teeth on the top were smashed by part of the mouth of the helmet caving in
  • Dislocated left shoulder
  • Fractured sturnum
  • Broken right shin

We also had some nasty road rash, and I've got the scars from an operation to repair the damage to my shoulder, and on my shin from where the bone poked though.

That summer REALLY sucked.

So come on people - what have been your most organ donor moments? They don't have to end in disaster, but they do have to be something that you did because you thought it was a good idea at the time!

You worry me, Jacomus...

papercorn2000

So you have previous for using up precious NHS resources!

Mines involved a nasty rock climb, some extremely dodgy gear placements, a moment of "can I reach that hold before my strength gives out" and a horrified second who watched several bits of gear come out but, on balance, decided it was better to let me finish the pitch before alerting me to the probably terminal consequences of taking a peeler!

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

Seems as if I am winning (losing?) the shortest life expectancy thingamy at the moment.

Come on, are you lot seriously saying that you have never done anything terminally stupid because it seemed like fun?

Never raced your friends down a multistorey car park on blades?
Never had competitions to see who can pull the longest stoppie from 30mph?
Never raced down Butsor Hill on your bike?
Raced on skateboards down a local hill?
Set up a ridiculous dirt jump to clear a minor road from one side to the other?
Ridden sed jump?

Come on, surely I can't be the only one here to do / have done things like this?

Melvil

A daft moment when I was a teenager -

Drunk (obviously) and living at the seaside, my mate and I were walking along a tall (and very dark) promenade to another pub. I spotted a tree beyond a small metal fence, said to my mate 'I need a slash, I'll be a sec' and jumped over the fence...

...what I didn't know was that there was a pretty substantial drop onto concrete between the fence and the tree(!)...I don't remember falling, I just remember waking up what seemed like a couple of seconds (but was actually a good quarter of an hour) later and looking up at a distance fence above me. My mate was shouting in my ear 'it's OK, the ambulance is on its way' but I didn't really care, I felt really dreamy and well.

The pain only hit when I got to the hospital. I'd fractured my skull and bruised nearly every one of my ribs. The doctors said that if I hadn't have been drunk I'd have probably died (my muscles were all slack when I hit the ground).

I know bruised ribs doesn't sound like much at all but I was in a whole heap of pain for weeks afterwards...anyway, compared to Jacomus, I think I'm quite lucky!

papercorn2000 said:
So you have previous for using up precious NHS resources!

Mines involved a nasty rock climb, some extremely dodgy gear placements, a moment of "can I reach that hold before my strength gives out" and a horrified second who watched several bits of gear come out but, on balance, decided it was better to let me finish the pitch before alerting me to the probably terminal consequences of taking a peeler!

I did that but actually fell, one piece of gear stayed in, my fall knocked my second off the ledge and we both swung gently looking up at the 1 piece left, also swaying gently in the crack. He narrowly beat me back onto the ledge even though I had further to go if it came out. Naturally I berated him for leaving too much slack in his belay!!

Can't beat Jacomus though.

Don't climb anymore, I lost my appetite and now it's too scary.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

Melvil said:
A daft moment when I was a teenager -

...what I didn't know was that there was a pretty substantial drop onto concrete between the fence and the tree(!)...I don't remember falling, I just remember waking up what seemed like a couple of seconds (but was actually a good quarter of an hour) later and looking up at a distance fence above me. My mate was shouting in my ear 'it's OK, the ambulance is on its way' but I didn't really care, I felt really dreamy and well.

The pain only hit when I got to the hospital. I'd fractured my skull and bruised nearly every one of my ribs. The doctors said that if I hadn't have been drunk I'd have probably died (my muscles were all slack when I hit the ground).

Thats more like it, a very solid effort Melvil!!

Top Bottom