The Pachyderm heads East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 7 (June 14th): Mablethorpe - Woodhall Spa (42 miles)

Another excellent night's sleep disturbed only by two comfort calls, and brought to a close by the sun's warmth once more ratcheting up the tent temperature. No rush to stir today though - only a short one as I return to the first night's site and the final one before heading home. The Mablethorpe site had been perfectly fine - I had a quiet, secluded, sheltered pitch, and there was an excellent source of provisions from the Lidl in town. However, I'm unlikely to be rushing back to the area any time soon. Neither the locale nor the cycling offered much interest - at least for me - and certainly not for a second visit.
The route today would first traverse the plains that form the hinterland to the east coast resorts, then head up into and cross the Lincolnshire Wolds, before dropping to Woodhall Spa. Looking forward to a bit of variety once more. With another warm day in prospect and seemingly no cafe stops en route, I spent my time between striking camp and topping up on water. I'd be taking a litre and a half in my bidons, and had an apple and a banana to see me through the modest thirty miles.

Large-Mablethorpe-wind-farm.jpg

Mablethorpe Wind Park

Large-Wind-farm-info.jpg

It was well after ten by the time I rolled out and with no reason to push the pace, ambled along the back lanes. This took me past the wind farm that was clearly visible behind the site. It had apparently been around a while and appears to have expanded every few years. Of course it has been joined by several land-based sister sites and most notably the enormous off-shore sites near Skegness and Grimsby. I wonder how many more will need to join them to help meet our nation's, and international, carbon reduction goals?

After a dozen or so miles the terrain began rolling a little, but nothing severe and provided welcome opportunities to be out of the saddle and off my rear. The Wolds also presented a series of pretty little villages, each seemingly constituting an isolated rural idyll. Perhaps somewhere to aspire to live? But walking to the shops, the library, the health centre, or these days even the pub, is not an option for the locals. It struck me that this area, much like north Norfolk the other day, would be a great place for novice cyclists to explore - the roads (if chosen carefully) are quiet and the hills are neither too long nor too steep so are more than manageable by most.

Large-Trusthorpe-sign.jpg

Large-St-Philip-s-Brinkhill.jpg

St Philip's, Brinkhill

After these enjoyable miles and descending towards Woodhall, things had clearly been going too smoothly. Garmin wanted me to make a left turn; this road however, was signed as a 'Gated road.' Now I know that doesn't necessarily mean there will be any access problems, but it might mean a long backtrack and then finding a new route. Decisions, decisions! I chickened out, didn't take the turn, and figured I'd follow my nose and make the left turn somewhere ahead. That took a while! Eventually, and after checking the map on my phone I could see how to rejoin the original route, and did so with only half a dozen miles to the site.

Large-CCC-Woodhall-site.jpg

Woodhall Spa Camping and Caravanning Club site

On arrival, the manager remembered me from last time and offered me the same pitch as before. With its shaded location and proximity to the facilities, that would do just fine. I quickly pitched the tent and headed into town to pick up some grub from the supermarket. I like Woodhall Spa; it has a genteel ambience. Maybe it's the trees? The notion of a 'Kinema in the Woods'? Or maybe the stoicism of the RAF pilots stationed here during WW2 lingers on?

Large-woodhall.jpg

Woodhall Spa main street

There's certainly a sense of times past, at least compared with where I live, where much of the history has been expunged, associated as it was with industry and poverty.

By the time I got back to site, and with the earlier unexpected detour, the day's mileage had risen from the planned thirty to 42! Oh well, better that by far than going from say 58 up to 70.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 8 (June 15th): Woodhall Spa - home (60 miles)

Just as I get into the rhythm of enjoying settled nights' sleeping, it's time to head home. The routine of poking my nose out the tent flap, rising and making a coffee and breakfast, packing away and striking camp had also become second nature. But home it was. As I filled my bidons at the water point I got chatting with another cyclist heading out for a day ride, also heading for Lincoln. Should I offer to travel together? However, with me on The Pachyderm and him on an unloaded hybrid, I suspected our paces would be rather different and I wouldn't want to be holding him up.

Large-Dambusters-memorial.jpg

RAF 617 (Dambusters) Squadron Memorial, Woodhall Spa

Large-Post-WW2-617-memorial.jpg

Post-WW2 617 squadron memorial

Wherever possible I prefer to seek out a different route rather than retrace my steps, so had planned the first section of my homeward to pass well to the south of Lincoln before once again picking up NCN647. There are few options when crossing the Trent and the disused railway bridge carrying an off-road option is by far more preferable to the busier A57 or A631. However, having enjoyed the simplicity and pleasantness of the Water Rail Way so much on the way out, I thought I'd give it another shot on the way home.

Passing back through Woodhall I stopped to pay my respects at the memorials to the RAF 617 Dambusters squadron who were stationed here during the war. Tempting though a second breakfast was, it was far too early, so onwards and onto the Water Rail Way.

Large-Sheep-sculpture.jpg

Sheep sculptures on the Water Rail Way

Large-Stixwold.jpg

Water Rail Way, Stixwould station platform

As I was taking a photo of one of the remaining former station platforms, the cyclist from the site caught me up and after we chatted for a while and learning we were both from the Sheffield area, suggested we carry on together. Why not. Paul and I spent the miles to Lincoln happily nattering, sharing stories and generally putting the world to rights. The miles flew by. We were both ready for a coffee in Lincoln and stopped on Brayford Pool waterfront to grab one, although most of the food emporia are eateries and don’t seem to do take out coffees. Costa came to the rescue - thanks for the coffee, the company and the chat Paul. Much appreciated.

Large-Paul-Brayford.jpg

Paul, Brayford Pool, Lincoln

We then parted ways, Paul heading for a mooch around Lincoln and me to continue retracing my route home. The cycleway was as pleasant on the way home as it had been on the way out and Tuxford soon came and went. With a sniff of home, plenty of water and an apple for sustenance, I felt no need to take a break.

Large-County-boundary.jpg

NCN route marker indicating the Notts-Lincs boundary

Large-Trent.jpg

Crossing the River Trent

Since the route home had been so straightforward, and one with which I was becoming familiar, I never bothered to load a course into the Garmin. Oops! After passing through Milton I missed the right turn past the farm buildings in Bevercotes, but after a glance at the Garmin, carried on, fairly confident I’d be able to put it right later on. Sure enough the bridleway I’d spotted soon came up and I made the right turn. It was a bit more bumpy, a lot more dusty and certainly a bit farther than I’d anticipated, but I was soon back on track heading through Bothamsall none the worse for the off-roading expedition. The Pachyderm didn’t twitch once.

Large-track.jpg

This was the easy part!

The remaining dozen or so miles were on familiar ground and by mid-afternoon I was rolling onto the drive back home, my first tour since New Zealand successfully completed.

Last edited:
Thanks again Ian. Really enjoyed this. Not sure I agree with the area around Mablethorpe though;
We found some lovely villages around this area and the best had a thatched Church. Markby. Churches are my thing, good places to stop for a butty or a coffee (Always carry a flask) and lots can be learned from a walk around the Churchyard. We are at Woodhall again soon and Sandringham in a couple of weeks. Thank you once again for taking the time to post your travelogue. Keep safe.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Epilogue

This was not the ride I had wanted to do. When the idea for a tour first began to crystallise, I had planned to ride much further south and have a wander around Suffolk. What stymied me was, when booking Camping and Caravanning Club sites online, being obliged to book at least two consecutive nights when booking at the weekend. That, and that there were a couple of sites which appeared to be full on days when my itinerary passed through. What I subsequently learned from a couple of site managers was that the CC&C maxim of always accommodating backpackers still applies, even in these Covid times. This tour became a compromise and one which it would seem I needn't have made. On the plus side, if I'd followed my original itinerary, I'd have been arriving home a few days later and would have had to contend with thunderstorms and torrential rain.

Large-IMG-1788.jpg

A (not so) crowded Mablethorpe beach

What have I learned?

• That I do have the capacity to tolerate the flatlands of South Lincolnshire … if the weather is amenable.
  • That North Norfolk merits further exploration. The lanes were deliciously quiet, although cafe stops seemed few and far between. Perhaps I just happened on the wrong roads.
  • The churches of North Norfolk are a fascinatingly eclectic mix of styles.
Large-IMG-1744.jpg
  • That The Pachyderm is a capable steed for touring, at least where the contour lines are polite enough to remain socially distanced. In fact the front basket is a real boon, its carrying capacity far exceeding that of a bar bag. Having only three speeds was a pain at times, with the gaps between gears being just a little too wide, and top gear needing to be a tad higher over this terrain … but I guess I knew that already.
  • On the first and last days, a large proportion of the journey was on off-road cyclepaths. I realised how lucky I had been when negotiating cycleway architecture. If there had been any squeeze-points where metal stanchions prevent motorcycle access, I’d have been completely obstructed, obliged to unload the bike and try to lift it over. That’s not a prospect I would relish and, depending on the exact arrangement of the barrier, might even not be able to manage without assistance. It would be smart to take that into account when planning future outings on The Pachyderm.
  • And finally, after 15 months of hunkering down at home - at least as far as touring is concerned - I was reminded of how much I enjoyed turning the pedals to propel the bike down quiet lanes along which I've never passed before. It's the simplicity, the peace, and the pleasure of finding out what's around the next bend.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Thanks again Ian. Really enjoyed this. Not sure I agree with the area around Mablethorpe though;
We found some lovely villages around this area and the best had a thatched Church. Markby. Churches are my thing, good places to stop for a butty or a coffee (Always carry a flask) and lots can be learned from a walk around the Churchyard. We are at Woodhall again soon and Sandringham in a couple of weeks. Thank you once again for taking the time to post your travelogue. Keep safe.
You're welcome of course.
I hear what you say about Mablethorpe's hinterlands; maybe I was a bit harsh.
Have a great time on your forthcoming visits 👍

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That North Norfolk merits further exploration. The lanes were deliciously quiet, although cafe stops seemed few and far between. Perhaps I just happened on the wrong roads.
Sort of. NCN 1 / RR30 are by far the best roads but there are long stretches Sandringham-Holkham and Binham-Cromer where all cafes and pubs are off route either slightly (Snettisham, Ringstead, Burnham Market) or quite a lot (Titchwell, Thornham, Deepdale, ...). Some keep odd hours or days, too.

Thanks @IaninSheffield
I really enjoyed that!

Is that a new tent? ^_^

I noticed some fancy camerawork!

After your caterpillar incident I've been checking, double checking and triple checking my cup^_^
That two night minimum is a real PITA.

Well done, thanks for sharing and where's next?^_^

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Thanks @IaninSheffield
I really enjoyed that!

Is that a new tent? ^_^

I noticed some fancy camerawork!

After your caterpillar incident I've been checking, double checking and triple checking my cup^_^
That two night minimum is a real PITA.

Well done, thanks for sharing and where's next?^_^
You're welcome of course 👍
New tent? Erm, no ... but one of the poles does have a new section ;) Much as I would like to try a new style, as discussed in the past, it would be rather indulgent to acquire another that I don't really need. Or perhaps 'I'm worth it'? 😉

Now I know what the situation is, I might go back to not booking and simply turning up as a backpacker, which CC&C sites would still appear to be honouring.
As for when, sadly, this might not be until after the school hols now. I have building work repairs on the house which should be taking place in July (fingers crossed) so I daren't go away. :sad:

Top Bottom