"The water in Majorca ..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWMc

No problems with punctures enroute? Realistically we are probably not going to change bikes or even tyres for a day, so punctures would be my primary concern. One of our group is less experienced and gravel on a road bike probably wouldn't suit him that well. Did you feel the front wheel digging in or slipping or is it mostly hardpacked?

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
No problems with punctures enroute? Realistically we are probably not going to change bikes or even tyres for a day, so punctures would be my primary concern. One of our group is less experienced and gravel on a road bike probably wouldn't suit him that well. Did you feel the front wheel digging in or slipping or is it mostly hardpacked?

No, no problems, but it wasn't an exercise I'd be keen to repeat!. I run Schwalbe Durano Pluses for their toughness and durability - saving a few grams with something more nimble would barely help my pedestrian rate of progress.
There were some sections which were hard packed and fine but there were an equal number of sections where it was decidedly unpleasant - sometimes gravelly, sometimes sandy and sometimes rocky. I'd have been more comfortable on a mountain bike or tourer.

{"Gravelly, Sandy & Rocky" - firm of solicitors or folk music trio?]

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 11 - Rained off (or should that be wimped out?)
9th Nov., 0 miles

Yesterday's forecast for today pretty much nailed it; rain starting around nine then continued for the rest of the morning and into the early part of the afternoon. It was also much cooler this morning, even than yesterday. Since I was neither on tour nor obliged to travel anywhere, I was happy to slip in a rather belated and definitely irrelevant rest day. My bike needed repacking into the bike box, a job I could have left until tomorrow morning, but when the rain came forth I retreated to the bike store and got things fettled.

BR bike locker 2.jpg

Hotel bike store

I spent a couple of hours reading in the lounge whilst occasionally glancing at the raindrops sputtering patterns across the hotel pool. As the forecasts had predicted, by the early afternoon the rain retreated and allowed me to head out for that run I've been side stepping for a couple of days. It was dry, the temperature was ideal and since the run wasn't preceded by a day's cycling, it was actually far more enjoyable … well as enjoyable as a run can be for me these days! Having skirted the edge of Alcudia old town, it reminded me that I hadn't really taken a look around there so when I got back, and after showering, I strolled back.

D11 Alcudia gates.jpg

Porta des Moll, Alcudia

Good sections of the mediaeval town walls and fortifications which once provided a stern resistance to attack are still extant. You can walk the whole way around and it's even possible to walk a short section atop the walls and be rewarded with views either across towards Pollença, inwards over the patchwork of tiled rooftops, and occasionally down some of the narrow streets. Despite the attempts by the rain to reassert itself, it was a wonderful way to spend an hour and I couldn't help but be intrigued what it must be like for the local primary school to have a 14th century historical landmark forming much of its playground perimeter.

D11 Alcudia walls.jpg

Town walls, Alcudia

Rather than head immediately back to the hotel and with the sun's dominance once more restored, I headed down to the seafront for the last time on this visit. I wandered along to the port where you can catch ferries to Menorca, and to Barcelona on the mainland. A wonderful sun trap, I was happy to sit a while enjoying a snack, inwardly chuckling as I listened to an episode of the ‘Infinite Monkey Cage’ podcast.

BR Alcudia seafront.jpg

Seafront at Port d’Alcudia

I returned to the hotel in plenty of time for my final evening meal whilst reflecting, somewhat ruefully on not going for a ride today. I had to remind myself that I'd opted for an eleven day trip so that if there was any foul weather I'd still have plenty of other days where it was good enough to be out on the bike. And yet here I was; ten straight days of excellent weather, weather I'd immediately snap up were it available during a UK summer. So I missed one day of riding but that's no bad thing and I can save all those routes I planned but didn't get the chance to do for my next visit.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 12 - Homeward bound
10th Nov.

With my homebound flight not due to depart until 18:30, this was going to be a long day, but at least not as extended as the outbound leg. A leisurely breakfast was in order followed by a shower, packing, then a wait until the transfer bus came at 14:30. I'd rather not have to rush about and don't mind hanging around - I took the opportunity to go for a stroll and pick up lunch before a final wander around the resort. Had I not been on my way home I would have gone out on the bike to once more struggle with the stiff breeze that regularly seems to visit the island.

BR hotel eix.jpg

I sat by the pool, read, listened to a few podcasts and before I knew it the coach arrived precisely on time. After picking up a handful of other passengers our trip to the airport was speedy and uneventful leaving plenty of time to check in. The queues I've seen in some videos were not an issue at this time of year and I checked in my luggage, bike box and slipped effortlessly through security in about twenty minutes. Right through to take off and the flight Jet2 staff were once more incredibly helpful and pleasant, making what can sometimes be stressful so much more manageable.

BR plane in palma.jpg

View from the boarding gate in Palma

On board our captain informed us that as an inbound flight, the jet stream whisked them down in less than an hour and a half; on the way back of course we would not be the beneficiaries of that boost. Although I can't comment from a great deal of experience, the flight back was less than pleasant. Firstly there was a chap on the seat in front of me who coughed most of the journey, hopefully a tickly one and not something more infectious; I'd masked up on boarding the plane anyway. The normal speaking volume of a chap behind me was at volume 11 and blasted my eardums whenever he conducted conversation. After an hour my left leg (which has been giving me gip when driving any distance) played up something proper. And that’s my whinge over. At least there were no screaming children nor obnoxious drunks. Would I put up with it again? Well it was a minuscule price to pay for such a wonderful time away.

BR Alcudia sign.jpg

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Epilogue
Based on the experiences relayed to me by my buddy and the YouTube videos I’d subsequently watched, my expectations for this trip were high. They were met and exceeded.

Mallorca-routes.png

(Courtesy of cycle.travel)

This was my first experience of a package holiday; until I appreciated that you could take a cycling-focused one I’d never been interested. Simply not my ‘thing’. I have to confess I’m now a convert. Having flights, hotel transfers, accommodation, meals, luggage fees all bundled together made organising things so much easier. I did have to arrange transport to and from Manchester airport - I took my car and used the ‘Drop and Go’ facility which was excellent. Bike box on a train? A non-starter really. I was impressed with Jet2, especially their staff (who were always friendly, cheerful and helpful), the hotel (my room, the staff, the facilities and the food), and the resort (Port d’Alcudia was mostly well placed to access other parts of the island).

BR orange grove.jpg

Orange grove in former quarry?

As many have remarked in various places, this is a wonderful place to come cycling. There is such a variety of terrain on offer; something to suit most tastes and interests. The infrastructure is there to support your needs in the form of plentiful bike shops where you can hire steeds or get repairs if needed. There are plenty of bike friendly hotels with well-equipped store rooms to garage and service your bike. They’ve latched on to the burgeoning desire for e-bikes and you can hire them and get them charged in many places - the hotel bike store also had charging points. On a side note I noticed how electric scooters are becoming a big thing on the island, used by young and old. Folks whizz around on them at a fair lick but they seem to generally be used sensibly and cause little conflict. An enlightened view? Or maybe it’s related to the apparently more considerate and tolerant attitude of road users more broadly? During the whole trip and over 500 miles of cycling, I saw only one single instance of a car driver expressing frustration which, given how often drivers are held up whilst waiting to overtake cyclists, is remarkable. My stereotype of hot headed Mediterranean motorists was completely overturned; the attitude of local drivers to both cyclists and pedestrians seems to be exemplary and makes it a pleasure to cycle, walk or run.

IMG_3303.jpg

If you’re centrally based and comfortable with 60ish mile days you can reach most of Mallorca in a day. Out on a limb, as I was in Port d’Alcudia, some parts of the island aren’t easily reached without much longer rides than I’d be comfortable doing. However, the train service across the island really helped here and can give you a jump start to reach more distant locations. The island is big enough for a short tour, especially if coupled with some island hopping to the other Balearics, though I couldn’t comment on camping options having not needed to explore those possibilities. I have to confess I didn’t miss the touring; life is so much simpler when you’re not having to un pack and repack your belongings and your accommodation every day or two. Other things like not needing to forage for food and easily being able to do your laundry were also welcomed. Spending longer cycling around a single location meant I also got a better feel for the place rather than dropping by for a night or maybe a couple of days. You start to feel, albeit transiently, a developing sense of attachment and belonging rather than being the drifter passing through. ‘Touring’ from a base rather than travelling from place to place is perhaps just a different way of doing things, one in which you focus your attention in a tighter area rather than over a more extended path. A ball of wool compared with an extended thread?

IMG_3306.jpg

I suspect I picked the perfect time to visit, at least to satisfy my needs. Firstly, since the holiday season was at an end, everywhere seemed pleasantly quiet and free from crowds. Sure that meant many of the facilities were closed, but for me that didn’t matter - I wasn’t here to go jet skiing, kite surfing or clubbing into the early hours. There were enough restaurants and cafes open if needed and some of the major historical visitor attractions were still open. It was also a great time for weather, wind notwithstanding. The temperature most days was perfect; neither too hot nor too cool and to be cycling comfortably under bright but not oppressive sunshine in shorts and thin top in November(!) was absolutely wonderful.

IMG_3319.jpg

I’m still wrestling a little with guilt over taking a more luxurious cycling holiday than I have in the past, especially since it involved a flight. I know I’m fortunate to be in a position where I can now afford such a venture although I’m not sure I’ll ever be entirely comfortable with it. That said, given how relaxing I found it, how easy it was not having to forage for your food nor fret about the next night’s accommodation, I suspect I will include this kind of trip in my repertoire and will be returning next year.

BR me in mirror.jpg

Great map!

Simply not my ‘thing’. I have to confess I’m now a convert.
It's great when we try something that we think is not for us. Even better when we enjoy it! Well done!

On a side note I noticed how electric scooters are becoming a big thing on the island, used by young and old. Folks whizz around on them at a fair lick but they seem to generally be used sensibly and cause little conflict. An enlightened view? Or maybe it’s related to the apparently more considerate and tolerant attitude of road users more broadly?
Scooters are an integrated part of public transport here - my local park (a wonderful place!) has a multi-use path clearly marked for pedestrians, bikes and electric scooters.
The lack of conflict, I believe, stems from infrastructure (normally excellent) and societal norms in combination. People just get along. It's very pleasant!

I have to confess I didn’t miss the touring; life is so much simpler when you’re not having to un pack and repack your belongings and your accommodation every day or two. Other things like not needing to forage for food and easily being able to do your laundry were also welcomed.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
^_^
‘Touring’ from a base rather than travelling from place to place is perhaps just a different way of doing things
Exactly. Different. Not better. Not worse. Different.

It was also a great time for weather, wind notwithstanding.
Just to point out that this was an exceptional year (the second in a row) in terms of temperature and sun.

I’m still wrestling a little with guilt over taking a more luxurious cycling holiday than I have in the past,
Toss your guilt to the side of the road and cycle on!

I suspect I will include this kind of trip in my repertoire and will be returning next year.
Good! And I for one will look forward to reading about it.

Thanks for the write-up, apologies for all the butting in and enjoy the planning!

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Thanks for the write-up, apologies for all the butting in and enjoy the planning!
You're welcome of course; my pleasure. 'Butting in' not only welcomed but encouraged! ;)

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Hi, just discovered your thread as I’m normally lurking on the Zwift / virtual training section of the forum. Great write up and I enjoyed reading of your experiences. I’ve cycled in Mallorca based in Alcudia / Pollensa several times and always enjoyed it. I never thought of the train/rail service to get to a different part of the island to start from. I’m back there in April and must look into that as an option. Sorry if I missed it but how much was the train ticket for the off-peak journey into Palma?

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Hi, just discovered your thread as I’m normally lurking on the Zwift / virtual training section of the forum. Great write up and I enjoyed reading of your experiences. I’ve cycled in Mallorca based in Alcudia / Pollensa several times and always enjoyed it. I never thought of the train/rail service to get to a different part of the island to start from. I’m back there in April and must look into that as an option. Sorry if I missed it but how much was the train ticket for the off-peak journey into Palma?

Apologies for the tardy reply and thanks.

Back in November the train was 3.6 euros for a single from Sa Pobla to Palma; quite reasonable I thought.
You can check current fares and pick up a timetable here. The TiB site is quite good for public transport information I found.

Enjoy your trip. 👍

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Apologies for the tardy reply and thanks.

Back in November the train was 3.6 euros for a single from Sa Pobla to Palma; quite reasonable I thought.
You can check current fares and pick up a timetable here. The TiB site is quite good for public transport information I found.

Enjoy your trip. 👍

Thanks @IaninSheffield. E3.60 is a great price for that distance. Definitely must look into that one for a Palma - Soller - Puig Major - Lluc - Pollensa trip

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Thanks @IaninSheffield. E3.60 is a great price for that distance. Definitely must look into that one for a Palma - Soller - Puig Major - Lluc - Pollensa trip

So sorry! I think I must have got mixed up with a different trip! The fare from Sa Pobla to Palma is actually 4.5 euro. A bit more expensive, but still good value I feel.

You'll have a bit of climbing to do on that Palma - Pollensa route, but some great views too of course.

Top Bottom