"The water in Majorca ..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Presumably there's a good few other folks with bikes in the hotel (and other hotels?)?
Any specific geographical origin? Friendly & chatty or too cool for school?
Yeah there were quite a few other bikers in the hotel, in all I'd estimate 40+. There were a couple of groups of racing snake , lots of couples (some 'together' and others just buddies), and quite a few solos. Some were clearly competitive cyclists, others recreational and from what I could tell, Brits, Dutch and Germans. Didn't hear any French or Spanish in the hotel but I did see some out on the road. It was a real mix across the age range from young whippersnappers (although given the dates, not of school age) to elderly statespeople, some even older than me! Slightly more men than women.
As you might expect, some were wrapped up in their worlds whilst others would happily chat.
Are the trains especially set up to take bikes?
Oh yes. The trains were fantastic. Two bike spaces at each end of the 3(?) car sets with additional space available if not needed by wheelchair users or pushchairs. And if you're considerate and move when needed, no-one seems to mind if the train's busy if you overspill a little.
I should add though that bikes are not allowed on during the commuter periods, the timetables clearly indicating which trains this involves.
And the biggy..... what's the difference between having a "hub" and moving on from place to place. This is your second "hub & spoke" (that you've written about here) so you must have some ideas, no?
Ah now perhaps I might be discussing that in the Epilogue. :okay:

The annual trip away with my buddy used to be a tour, then we alternated - when the location was his choice it would be from a base, and when mine it was a tour. Now we always cycle from a base - I would enjoy either but am happy to compromise rather than spoil his enjoyment.
It's also a hub and spoke when I go away in the campervan, although these trips are usually only five or six days. That's good too.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 7 - Palma RailRide & Coll d'Honor
5th Nov., 55 miles

Another early breakfast allowed me to once more battle the wind as I again hoped to catch a Palma bound train. Fortunately, the ferocity of yesterday's gales was somewhat tempered to a stiff breeze, for which I was grateful since I was aiming for another climb, the Col d'Honor. Although this was just about doable from Alcudia, I wasn't especially in the mood for a ride in excess of 70 miles; after all, I am on holiday.

Although my ride across to Sa Pobla did involve jousting with a headwind, on this occasion I think the result might be more accurately described as a draw. I even found time to relax on the train with fifteen minutes to spare before departure. Unlike the two previous occasions I decided to take a leaf out of the German cyclist's book and hop off the train a few stops before central Palma, thereby avoiding the need to negotiate the busy streets of the city centre. So I left the train at Pont Inca and quickly picked up my originally planned route within a mile of leaving the station.

D7 Bunjol.jpg

Bunjola

From here it was a very gradual climb up to the hill town of Bunyola nestled amongst the southern foothills of the Tramuntana. Were it not for the almost universally terracotta coloured properties, you could almost be in the French Alps. At the town boundary the climb up to the Coll proper begins, once more indicated by a brown sign, or at least it probably was brown under all the cycling related stickers. I'm not sure what the intent of this defacing is; probably another form of graffiti declaring 'I've been here'. The climb itself also felt somewhat alpine as it wound back and forth hugging the sides of steep-sided, tree-covered, mountainous gorge. Very different from the other climbs I've done so far; the trees provided shade all the way up which, during the hotter parts of the year, must be very welcome indeed.

D7 Col St Honor.jpg

Coll summit sign

The climb was pitched as 5.5km with an average gradient of 5.9%, however, more importantly for me was never feeling like I was about to be pitched over the edge by a fickle wind god. Not just the sun, but the trees and terrain also kept most of the wind's anger at bay. After reaching the Coll the first part of the descent involved tentative negotiation of multiple hairpins before dropping into a wide, almost 'Lost Worlds' type valley, surrounded on all sides by steep mountains. I wonder whether the geography makes this a sun trap or frost trap in cooler months? Along the lush valley floor the road was in poor condition, poor by the standards of the other Mallorcan roads I've travelled so far, then after a few miles it was a short climb through and out of a small settlement called Orient, before starting the descent towards the central plain.

D7 Orient 2.jpg

Orient (not the 'Leyton' one of course!)

A well maintained wider road with few life-threatening precipices made for a much more rapid and enjoyable descent into another mountain town - Alaro. It felt like I'd dropped far enough to be on the plain, but as I sometimes saw when views afforded, the plain was still way down below me meaning I could enjoy a few more 'free' miles yet.

D7 Alora plaza.jpg

Plaza in Alora

Passing Selva and Lloseta brought me into territory I now felt was becoming familiar, so much so that I missed several entreaties from the Garmin that I was 'Off Course'. I guess that when planning, I would be aware that I was travelling along the same roads several times, so to mitigate interest fatigue, I must have slipped in a couple of alternative paths … which with wheels on the ground I now duly ignored. Whilst planning, what I wouldn't have known about is just how pleasant and rewarding these roads can be, even when you're repeating them.

D7 narrow street.jpg

Typically narrow streets

Although not quite as friskily as yesterday, my pedals chomped away at the final twenty miles to have me back at base before three, leaving time for a run before the evening meal. Except I failed to rise to that challenge and took the less athletic option of a stroll instead. Now the breeze had backed off some more, the temperature walking along the seafront was that of a pleasant summer's day in the UK - plenty warm enough to be comfortable, but not so much so that perspiration becomes the enemy of your comfort. Contact with friends back home would suggest they're not enjoying quite such pleasant conditions! And to end this post on an even brighter note, this evening my peace and quiet have been troubled by not a single firework. Nor in fact did any whooshes, crackles and bangs disturb the air last night nor the night before. This being away over Halloween and Bonfire Night is bringing completely unexpected but entirely welcome joys.

SWMc

A very enjoyable read. I've probably been on about 70% of those roads on my last three trips to Mallorca, the exceptions being around Palma and Randa. I'm particularly interested in your route from the Palma station to Randa, is there any way you could share a route file or even a screenshot of the route in the Palma / airport region. I' m heading back in April and probably September and need to ride some new roads

A very enjoyable read. I've probably been on about 70% of those roads on my last three trips to Mallorca, the exceptions being around Palma and Randa. I'm particularly interested in your route from the Palma station to Randa, is there any way you could share a route file or even a screenshot of the route in the Palma / airport region. I' m heading back in April and probably September and need to ride some new roads

I hope Ian doesn't mind but I took the liberty.....
From Palma train station: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/519425
From Pont d'Inca: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/519424

Both can be edited/downloaded. Streetview will let you see what's in store. Choosing "Gravel" may make them more interesting! ^_^

Thanks very much @HobbesOnTour. I've never come across that route planning app before but I like it - less segments and more coffee shops! ☕
Happy to help.
It's my go-to planner. Have used it in many countries and trust it more than any other I've tried. There's a wealth of features worth exploring, especially for multi-day tours. Its default routes are rarely very direct but favour quieter, reduced traffic routes and even take beauty into account.
There is also an app out - IOS & Android - for navigating on the bike. They are still developing so planning is still best on the website.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It really is a fine place for cycling isn't it?
Happy to oblige. This is the full ride https://www.strava.com/activities/10160559442 but you'll be able to zoom in on the section between Palma and Randa.
To be fair, since I used cycle.travel, as described by @HobbesOnTour , my route was similar to the first of the two suggestions he provided:
I hope Ian doesn't mind but I took the liberty.....
From Palma train station: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/519425
[Of course not :smile:]
Mine differed only in that I decided to pop into Llucmajor before Randa.

Because I'm no really into century days, using the train opens up parts of the island I'd otherwise struggle to reach.
Have a great trip in April!

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 8 - Manacor RailRide & Port Cristo
6th Nov., 61 miles

D8 windmills.jpg

Windmills east of Sa Pobla

Another day, another commute to Sa Pobla to catch the train; but wait, there's no wind! Or so little as to be negligible. Marvellous! I aimed for and succeeded in hitting the 10:10 train; this was important as I had to make a connection with the Manacor bound train in Inca. Thankfully all went according to plan and I have to say, the more I travel on the local TiB network, the more impressed I am with its efficiency, albeit from an admittedly narrow window of experience. Trains are regular enough, run on time, and I've had no problems getting the bike on. The journey from Sa Pobla with a 15 min wait for the connection in Inca, took just over an hour and cost €3.60 - a bargain in my book.

D8 Manacor station.jpg

Manacor station buildings

Taking the train to its most easterly terminus allowed me access to parts of the island that would be tougher to reach, unless I was happy to do an eighty mile day … and I wasn't. Although I didn't hang around, Manacor looked like another pleasant, well cared for, interesting town like so many of the others. Part of that is possibly the number of folks sitting, relaxing and chewing the fat outside cafes - they seem at ease.

D8 road surface.jpg

One of the wonderful back roads

After a couple of miles along one of the main roads leaving town, despite it having a generous shoulder, I was concerned that I might have made a navigational error during re-planning this route last night but no, a right turn had me onto the quiet backroads once more. Though they are peaceful and almost traffic free, it's not that you're completely off the beaten track, there are invariably dwellings of one sort or another every so often, whether a grand hacienda or modest finca. The landscape, however, was different yet again in this area; a tapestry of narrow, shallow steep sided valleys where the road threaded through the topography and amongst the agriculture. Larger farms and modest smallholdings seem to have to work hard against the climate and geology here. The land seems unforgiving, invariably rocky, and doubtless rather arid, yet where watering is possible, crops seem to thrive. Olives are abundant, citrus fruit aplenty and today I even spotted a couple of pomegranate trees!

D8 pomegranate.jpg

Roadside pomegranate trees

It wasn't long before I found myself entering the outskirts of Porto Cristo and dropping down towards the sea front. The brief time I spent there looking out over the moored vessels and the lack of touristy paraphernalia vendors gave the impression of a more upmarket location than some through which I've so far passed. Having dropped down, of course it was a climb to leave the town, but I was delighted to find that Robin Hood's Bay this was not.

D8 Porto Cristo.jpg

Porto Cristo bay

The next section was the coast road and as such rather wider than earlier, but the lack of traffic and wide shoulder made for easy and stress free progress. Unfortunately the road is quite a way back from the sea itself, yet still offered plenty of decent views both to sea and looking inland. I knew at some point I was due to head inland and hit the only major climb of the day, which even then, thankfully, was not of the same order of magnitude as climbs earlier on the trip. The route up through the valley was fascinating; one moment with expansive views across to the other side, the next through a shaded glade and over a crest to see something anew. Rather than a long drawn out ascent, this was more a series of short, sharp, punchy climbs, never requiring an extended period of effort and much more to my preferred style of climbing.

Passing through the small settlement of Son Macia, I was struck by the road signs indicating the location of the Farmacie, something I've noticed several times now. That's not something we have back home and I think it's a really helpful touch for anyone travelling through an unfamiliar area to be able to quickly find medical advice … assuming it's open of course (this one was!). I was now on a section of route I only planned last night and met my first error of judgement. I turned off the lanes onto a major road, then immediately back onto another lane, except this one was gravel. Nothing ridiculous and perfectly fine if I'd been on the touring bike with wider tyres, but I now had to hope that these 25mm tyres would cope. For the couple of miles along the dusty track, cope they did. I can only imagine when plotting the new section I must have forgotten to specify 'paved roads only'. My mistake.

D8 Petra.jpg

Eglesia de Sant Pere, Petra

The next town was Petra, and although not the amazing historical complex in Jordan, nevertheless, an attractive and historical location in its own right. From Petra to Maria de la Salut and finally Muro where territory began to look familiar. I got a second run through the incredible landscape between Muro and Sa Pobla where the agricultural land is peppered with these stubby circular towers which might at first glance seem to have a military origin. That theory quickly gave way to the more likely scenario that they are the support structures atop which sat windmills for drawing water from underground aquifers to irrigate the parched fields.

D8 towers.jpg

Redundant windmill towers across the parched fields south of Sa Pobla

The final stretch was along my Sa Pobla commute and got me back for four and in time for a run which I once again ashamedly forwent in favour of a stroll to the supermarket to pick up a simple picnic to eat on the waterfront. It's becoming a habit; one I could get used to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 9 - Porreres
7th Nov., 66 miles

I decided to start today's ride from the hotel and miss the rush to catch a train, thereby allowing me a more leisurely breakfast. I even tried a partial 'English' for a change; both the bacon and chipolata sausages were actually quite nice. Even after taking my time I was still able to get wheels rolling in the general direction of Porreres by 9:30 and with over 65 miles to do, I didn't want to be away too late.

D7 Sa Pobla roundabout.jpg

Roundabout, Sa Pobla

Despite not embarking on a RailRide today, my outbound route still took me to Sa Pobla, which meant another flat, straightish, now becoming perhaps too familiar, nine miles to start the day. On the other side of town I also found myself on a road I've travelled before, the one I took on my first ride, but now I was amongst the low, rolling hills that make for much more interesting progress. I'm pretty sure I even saw the same pig sheltering peacefully in the shade of the trees in a little gulley. I have to confess to no special knowledge of porcine identifying features, and it could of course have been a different pig, but since it was in precisely the same place, I'll be bold and say it was the same one. The route remained familiar as far as Sineu, either from that earlier ride or during my homeward legs from Randa or Porto Cristo. There's a certain comfort to be found in starting to identify features in the landscape or environment that are faintly familiar; a sense that you and the place are drawing closer to one another. Now heading in the direction of Porreres, although I was certainly on new roads, the bulk of Puig de Randa loomed larger the closer I drew, but thankfully on this occasion we exchanged nothing more than a passing acknowledgement. In retrospect I'm now glad that when doing the ascent, I approached it from the north west and therefore wasn't intimidated for several miles by its sheer bulk. Today would have been an easier climb given that the wind is now no more than a light breeze compared with the gales of last week.

D9 market.jpg

Placa de l’Esglesia, Porreres

As I approached the town square in Porreres, the route I'd planned was blocked by temporary barriers. I've seen these by the roadside in many of the towns through which I've travelled and surmised they're moved into place on market days to divert traffic from the streets where the stalls are to be erected. Here in Porreres that theory moved into fact. I could of course have found a way around but instead hopped off the bike and wandered through the small market. The usual stalls were present - fruit & veg, cheap clothing, handcrafted leather goods. But my eye was drawn to the olive stall which had a wide range on offer, but although I’ve never tried it, I suspect a bag of olives don’t travel so well in a cyclist’s back pocket. I was also drawn to the 'little old lady' with a tiny table less than a couple of feet square from which she was selling cake. Not lots of cakes; just two kinds, both of which looked home made and delicious. Unfortunately she unsurprisingly only took cash so my desires were not to be fulfilled here either.

D9 church view.jpg

Approaching Petra (I think!)

From Porreres I made for Petra where I was again back on slightly familiar territory, subsequently passing through both Ariany, Maria de la Salut and Muro. However, as I was entering one village which I think was simply called Saint, I passed an amazing necropolis, at least that's what I think it was. From a distance it looked like an enclave of beach huts - rows of tiny buildings packed tightly together with an elaborate external wall and entrance. The 'streets' running between the rows of crypts(?) were incredibly narrow, no more than the width of a single bed. Out of respect for any visitors I didn't take a photo but I've never seen anything like it.

D9 egrets.jpg

They weren’t seagulls; egrets I think?

Once I'd let the Garmin guide me through the maze of narrow streets in Muro, I was now on very familiar territory, once more amongst the landscape of former windmill pumping towers to the south of Sa Pobla with a ten mile run home. So of the sixty plus miles today, I grudgingly have to deduct the two ten mile sections to and from Sa Pobla from the ride pleasure account. When planning routes from the comfort of my sofa back home, I hadn't appreciated how having to use the same roads in and out can soon become wearing, especially if for half of that you're often doing battle with the winds. I need to think about how to allow for that the next time I come, for I'm sure that barring unforeseen circumstances, like Arnie, I will be back.

D9 street art.jpg

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 10 - Manacor RailRide & Via Verda to Alta
7th Nov., 50 miles

After a longer day yesterday I opted for a shorter one today, although it would mean another RailRide. For a short while I could almost have been back home on an autumn commute; it was noticeably chillier today, at least chilly on the Mallorcan scale. With the sun struggling to push past the obstinate grey clouds, I conceded to the lower temperature by slipping on arm warmers, and felt much better for it. Some of the Mediterranean riders heading out today were more layered up, as in fact were most of the local folks - legs covered, warm jacket. Autumn is clearly here for these folks.

D10 via 1.jpg

I arrived in Sa Pobla in plenty of time for the train, which took me to Inca where I transferred to the Manacor train, as I did the other day. Once again a misery free process and I was heading out of Manacor initially on the same route as previously, but quickly diverted onto the Manacor to Arta Via Verde or Greenway. Although I'm clearly not on a bike suited to off-road riding, as I found out a few days ago, the chance to ride on one of Spain's Via Verdes overruled my sensible side. It didn't take long to realise this may not have been the smartest move.

D10 via rough track.jpg

This section of the ‘Via’ was one of the smoother ones!

The local authorities have clearly spent a fortune in turning this 28km long former railway connection between the two towns into a public leisure resource for walkers, horse riders and of course cyclists. Unlike many similar conversions in the UK, this one is much wider, seemingly the full width of what might have been a double track bed. The surface is quite varied; mostly solid and formed of crushed limestone or similar, but often a little rocky, or occasionally sandy/gritty. It wasn't long before I was slightly regretting my choice, although the views of the local countryside from an often elevated position went some way to making up for the frustration and discomfort. Had I been on a touring, gravel or mountain bike with wider tyres,it really wouldn't have been an issue, so my fault entirely.

D10 via tunnel.jpg

One of the two tunnels. Pretty sure the 'racing snakes' never get to see stuff like this!

Railway paraphernalia to enjoy on the ride included two short tunnels, bridges over streams, cuttings, and several restored former stations. A couple of these stations have cafes where you can seek sustenance and/or a rest, but only the one at Sant Llorenc was open today. Along the route, as one might expect, there are regular display boards showing a map of the route or providing information about local wildlife … and of course a reason to stop for a short rest, if needed.

D10 via station.jpg

A restored Son Servera station

I put up with the changes in surface from acceptable to uncomfortable until I reached Son Carrio where I hopped off for a while and onto the quiet road which follows a roughly parallel route. At Son Servera I rejoined the Via for a few more miles, but again left it on the final approach to Arta. To be fair, on the right bike it really is a lovely route; there is a gentle climb from Manacor for the first half, but nothing to worry even a leisure cyclist. I just wish the authorities had spent some of the money that went on lining much of the route with trees every five metres, instead of grading the surface more consistently.

D10 Alta.jpg

Arta

From Arta back to base I had no options (other than taking a very roundabout (and much longer) route back through Manacor or Petra, than to take the main road back via Can Picafort. Once again though, traffic was light and there was a decent shoulder most of the time.

A shorter ride meant I was back at the hotel shortly after three with plenty of time for a stroll on the beachfront before the evening meal. This has become an aspect of the trip I look forward to each day - it loosens my legs, I listen to a podcast or two and invariably pick up a snack to picnic with. Bliss. Today though that had to wait until I made use of the bike shower in the bike store. Not for me you understand, just my steed which had become filthy with trail dust and I could not embarrass it by hanging it uncleansed amongst all the shiny carbon speed machines. I'll bet none of them have chanced their arm on the Via Verda!

The forecast for tomorrow is far from promising with rain for much of the day. If it does spoil my plans I can't really complain given the wonderful weather I've mostly had.

Last edited:
the chance to ride on one of Spain's Via Verdes overruled my sensible side. It didn't take long to realise this may not have been the smartest move.
Welcome to my world! ^_^
I just wish the authorities had spent some of the money that went on lining much of the route with trees every five metres, instead of grading the surface more consistently.
To be fair, I'd bet on a warmer, sunnier day you'd be pretty glad of those trees! ^_^
Having spent a bit of time down here now, I am appreciating the startling variations in weather and what that must mean for all kinds of things - including biking surfaces.

bike shower
Pfffft! You've gone all fancy! ^_^

Top Bottom