The perils of drink...where the English and Scottish are top of the league....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, that's scary stuff. I needed a stiff drink after reading that.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm over 25, so don't count.

There's plenty who'll start drinking in the morning, stopping only to sleep.

There's the "untold" side of the drink problem as well. The abuse of others whilst drunk. In this, I feel*, women have long since overtaken men.

*Based on A&E visits and what's seen whilst there.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm afraid to say that I have been drunk according to the definition. About 3 times in 50 years and on one occasion it was as a result of someone spiking my drinks - unknown to me. It's a really sh!t state to get into so after the first two occasions (in my yoof) I'd learned my lesson.

But it does seem to be a massive problem. Saturday night chucking out time is notorious.

Brandane

Legendary Member
In my youth, I worked hard at keeping Scotland on top of that league. Left it to the younger generations a long time ago though.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Certainly if you apply some social and medical metrics there's no doubt that alcohol comes out as a detrimental health issue. Smoking is similar with the respect to it being a legal product.

I think much of the acceptance has to do with the product maturity (and hence acceptance) and government attitudes and legislation; the taxation and how much money they are getting from these products has affected how it is handled. The government in the UK (and USA for me) certainly has no intention of turning down this revenue source. That's the fiscal elephant in the room.

I have at times thought that if you were to market a completely new product that does what alcohol or cigarettes do with their subsequent health ramifications, there would be no way it would find its way to be a legal product. It's also ironic that some medications that have been found to have been efficacious but have (in relative terms) small dangerous side effects are banned -all while you can drop into a off licence and get a bottle of vodka and 20 Benny Hedgehogs.

But as to why the UK is worse than other countries... I'm not sure. Is it because of the sometimes depressing weather? (I mean that quite seriously -I think I read somewhere there is a high rate of alcoholism in countries that have long winters or bad weather). Or a lack of hope that entices people into drunken escapism? Or just a cultural norm that's evolved and will take some time to reduce? I'm not sure.

I'm not as naive to think this problem can be eradicated, but I'd think higher alcohol prices (at least on the face of it might help, but I'm keenly aware sometimes measures like this have unintended consequences* and merit further research than a gut reflex kick), better education to push a changed attitude and looking at why certain areas are more susceptible may be a first step.

*black market, avoidance of tax, resorting to more dangerous drugs, etc

Certainly if you apply some social and medical metrics there's no doubt that alcohol comes out as a detrimental health issue. Smoking is similar with the respect to it being a legal product.

I think much of the acceptance has to do with the product maturity (and hence acceptance) and government attitudes and legislation; the taxation and how much money they are getting from these products has affected how it is handled. The government in the UK (and USA for me) certainly has no intention of turning down this revenue source. That's the fiscal elephant in the room.

I have at times thought that if you were to market a completely new product that does what alcohol or cigarettes do with their subsequent health ramifications, there would be no way it would find its way to be a legal product. It's also ironic that some medications that have been found to have been efficacious but have (in relative terms) small dangerous side effects are banned -all while you can drop into a off licence and get a bottle of vodka and 20 Benny Hedgehogs.

But as to why the UK is worse than other countries... I'm not sure. Is it because of the sometimes depressing weather? (I mean that quite seriously -I think I read somewhere there is a high rate of alcoholism in countries that have long winters or bad weather). Or a lack of hope that entices people into drunken escapism? Or just a cultural norm that's evolved and will take some time to reduce? I'm not sure.

I'm not as naive to think this problem can be eradicated, but I'd think higher alcohol prices (at least on the face of it might help, but I'm keenly aware sometimes measures like this have unintended consequences* and merit further research than a gut reflex kick), better education to push a changed attitude and looking at why certain areas are more susceptible may be a first step.

*black market, avoidance of tax, resorting to more dangerous drugs, etc

I have no idea if the article was factually accurate, but I recall reading something that was discussing the attitudes of different societies to the excesses of alcohol and even if it isn't correct, it was food for thought.

As a quick summary (and gross generalisation), it suggested that in the UK, if you are in Court for an offence (non-motoring, obviously), and can show you were drunk at the time, it is viewed as mitigating circumstances and can reduce the severity of the sentence. The article compared this to Spain, where if you were under the influence at the time of the offence, you got an additional punishment for being drunk.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have a 40+ YO 2nd cousin (I think) who is an alcoholic, we were not aware of this, we just thought she had made some very bad choices, but looking back it may explain a few things, she has finally come to terms (not quite sure that's the right phrase) with it. She has managed with family help to get herself into a hostel & we are hoping she is sorting herself out, what the long term affects of the abuse will be we don't know.

tom73

Guru
I'm over 25, so don't count.

There's the "untold" side of the drink problem as well. The abuse of others whilst drunk. In this, I feel*, women have long since overtaken men.

*Based on A&E visits and what's seen whilst there.
Yep women are worse way worse anyone in police custody will tell you it's always that women that kick off the most.
Bring two in over a scrap in the street once the catch eye of each other in custody all hell brakes out.

We have a whole lot of pepole who don't know they have a problem. Having a bottle of wine after work has become so main steam and taken as normal. You'd be surprised how any "ladies that lunch" end up in custody on drink driving and on screening clearly have a problem.
Hospitals are seeing way more middle aged women with end stage liver failure than they once did.

Top Bottom