the phonetic alphabet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Pete said:
When I first learnt it, in my stint in the CCF at school, 'Phonetic Alphabet' was what it was, no ifs no buts.

Is a stint in the CCF like a tour of duty in Vietnam?

bobg

Über Member
Then there the ubiquitous
A is for ‘orses

B for mutton
C for miles
D for dumb
E for Peron
F for vescent
G for police
H from Steps
I for the engine

J for cakes
K for teria
L for leather

M for size
N for lope
O for the rainbow
P for relief
Q for a bus
R for Fowler
S for Rantzen
T for gums
U for mystic
V for la France
W money
X for breakfast
Y for runts
Z for wind

This isnt exactly as I remember it cos some of them are fairly modern but when I worked in the docks in the 60's a lot of the older blokes had been in the forces during the war and they used something similar but .... not for the ladies

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

The more I think about it, the more like a whole new spirally language the phonetic alphabet becomes.

What if it gets politically correct, for example, and you can't use Q for Quebec to eskimos, and have to use a word for snow that begins with Q, but that doesn't exist, so you run to the library... but the library is closed so you go to the dentists reception to find the answer in torn up Punch magazines.. and the so-called mr dentist invites you in for enamel surgery?

That's just an example, but worse economic things could happen if we don't sort it. Now.

Dave5N

Über Member
wafflycat said:
A - alpha
B - bravo
C - charlie
D - delta
E - echo
F - foxtrot
G - golf
H - hotel
I - india
J - juliet
K - kilo
L - lima
M - mike
N - november
O - oscar
P - papa
Q - quebec
R - romeo
S - sierra
T - tango
U - uniform
V - victor
W - whisky
X - x-ray
Y - yankee
Z - zulu

When the offspring was in the St.John Ambulance Cadets he had to learn that as part of learning how to use radio communication. So I had it drummed into me.. Mind you, it's one of those things, I find, if you don't use it, you lima-oscar-sierra-echo it

That's the one I learned as a boy.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Dave5N said:
That's the one I learned as a boy.

That's what I'm trying to say!!! You learnt it, but you probably can't use it properly.

These things need practice so you don't say stuff like G for golf, W for Wolf

Keith Oates

Janner
I also use the one that Wafflycat has shown, but if I don't use it for a few days then it takes some time to get back into it without out stopping to think of some words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. of course a nice printed version next to the phone is very useful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
The one modern change I slip into is F for Fireman

Top Bottom