The Pink Pound, Drink Driving Legislation, Racism & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
But it's ok to check your navel before you embark isn't it.
fluff cleared, bark removed, navel is good to go!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
hence my last paragraph. We're all the starting point.

Agreed, but sometimes many acting with one voice are heard better than individuals mumbling into their beards.
Improving the lot of the cyclist should be a common cause that speaks with a common voice. If we could communicate effectively enough to break a few myths and misconceptions that would be a start which might encourage some more to participate, otherwise it'll continue to be a lonely road.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
This thread is already starting to reflect the problems we face as cyclists. Too many people taking negative views or trying to score points over irrelevant things.

Dellzeqq, your post is a good example of this - by telling my I am confused re the fact as to which organisation was responsible for getting gay were accepted. This is irrelevant to the rest of the post. The fact is the rights were accepted and that is the important point

[ For the avoidance of doubt. I did not say it was solely due to Stonewall. What I said was
"Now, through the LGBT standing together and through groups such as Stonewall, the pink pound is a major economic force and the LGBT community have gained equal treatment on most issues."]

Others posting on here seem to turn straight away to the negatives. Suggesting that a successful casmpaign will achieve the opposite of what it sets out to do.

Some people seem to have misunderstood what I am saying. If I understand MacB's opening post, it seems the thinking is I am trying to increase numbers of cyclists. I am not. In the same way that the actions of the LGBT community does not increase the number of their group (it may make them more open about it though), but gets them rights. I'm sorry Mac, but I misunderstood your post in my earlier reply. It is only on re reading it I understand what you mean by success (I Think)

Surely we can all agree that we would like to have better treatment, whether it be from planners, motorists, road users, employers etc. This is not about building more cycle paths or other things, but about more respect and appreciation for the vulnerabliity we face and respect for diversity

jonesy

Guru
....Surely we can all agree that we would like to have better treatment, whether it be from planners, motorists, road users, employers etc. This is not about building more cycle paths or other things, but about more respect and appreciation for the vulnerabliity we face and respect for diversity

Yes, but there are some fundamental disagreements about the precise nature of what that 'better treatment' involves. For many of those claiming to speak on behalf of cyclists, building more cycle paths is exactly what it is all about, whereas for others the opposite is the case. You can't reconcile those disagreements simply by condemng their existance and imploring people to work together anyway.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
This thread is already starting to reflect the problems we face as cyclists. Too many people taking negative views or trying to score points over irrelevant things.

no it's a discussion, you're only the OP not the ringmaster and banging on about comparisons with the pink pound, drink driving and racism is more akin to extremist ranting than a sound basis for a campaign. In doing so you miss the blindingly obvious:-

personal sexual orientation - more and more it's being accepted that it's not a choice, no alternatives
drink driving - clearly a danger to others, had to be taken more seriously and properly criminalised, no alternative
racism - people can't change their race so the attitude had to change, and still does, no alternatives

cycling - ultimately there is no requirement to cycle, there are alternatives - one of which is, if cyclists have such a problem with cars then they need to be off the roads - shortsighted and ignorant as that may be don't, for a second, think that it's not a possibility.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ok will keep an eye on this. This is my background, cycling and community campaigns/advocacy

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You've got me wrong, Spen. I'm telling you that your entire post is a melange, a bouillibaisse, that it is confused tout court.

Try smiling at people more when you're out on your bike. Wave old ladies across zebra crossings. Compliment your fellow cyclists on their chain rings. Wipe the mist from car mirrors with a silk hanky while waiting at traffic lights. Arrive at work ten minutes early humming the 'Ode to Joy'. When people ask about your weekend entrance them with tales of hill and dale. When someone says 'I'm too scared to ride a bike' offer to accompany them on their first faltering journeys. Invite all and sundry to feel the raw power in your flexed buttocks. Or not.

Spread the love, Spen, spread it thick and spread it often! Don't look for institutional answers, be your own answer!

And, actually, you're right. Gay men made a difference, not just to their own lives, but to the lives of others, by being happy with themselves and generous to others. Go for it. Come out as a cyclist. A happy, considerate, supportive, inspiring cyclist.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You've got me wrong, Spen. I'm telling you that your entire post is a melange, a bouillibaisse, that it is confused tout court.

Try smiling at people more when you're out on your bike. Wave old ladies across zebra crossings. Compliment your fellow cyclists on their chain rings. Wipe the mist from car mirrors with a silk hanky while waiting at traffic lights. Arrive at work ten minutes early humming the 'Ode to Joy'. When people ask about your weekend entrance them with tales of hill and dale. When someone says 'I'm too scared to ride a bike' offer to accompany them on their first faltering journeys. Invite all and sundry to feel the raw power in your flexed buttocks. Or not.

Spread the love, Spen, spread it thick and spread it often! Don't look for institutional answers, be your own answer!

And, actually, you're right. Gay men made a difference, not just to their own lives, but to the lives of others, by being happy with themselves and generous to others. Go for it. Come out as a cyclist. A happy, considerate, supportive, inspiring cyclist.

I like this (except the prediction of a merger with Sustrans, which makes me want to weep). We're not good at the One Voice thing - I'm part of a local campaign group and we can't even agree amongst ourselves on the most basic response to a disastrous major road project, but we're quite good at cycling, together or alone, and for the sake of my sanity I've started simply to regard the meetings and much of the the associated activity simply as an affirmation of our shared identity as cyclists, and a celebration of a cycling community. I no longer humour people who deride or abuse cyclists, or pander to the guilt and envy of unhappy motorists, and I have become more assertive and confident on the road. Instead of saying incredulous things like "I don't know how you do it", people I meet in the tea room now shyly express an interest in cycling, report seeing me out and about, and start talking tentatively about the potential of the bikes in their sheds.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I like this (except the prediction of a merger with Sustrans, which makes me want to weep). We're not good at the One Voice thing - I'm part of a local campaign group and we can't even agree amongst ourselves on the most basic response to a disastrous major road project, but we're quite good at cycling, together or alone, and for the sake of my sanity I've started simply to regard the meetings and much of the the associated activity simply as an affirmation of our shared identity as cyclists, and a celebration of a cycling community. I no longer humour people who deride or abuse cyclists, or pander to the guilt and envy of unhappy motorists, and I have become more assertive and confident on the road. Instead of saying incredulous things like "I don't know how you do it", people I meet in the tea room now shyly express an interest in cycling, report seeing me out and about, and start talking tentatively about the potential of the bikes in their sheds.

Yep I like it too and probably like many here are positive advocates of cycling in exactly that manner. In fact Abingdon Freewheeling is nearly 1 year old and has gone from one young lass with a vision aided a few old blokes helped create a small cycling organisation with 200 local members and plenty turning-up for regular local rides and pub socials. BUT, that doesn't mean it should be the only way in which we can improve our situation, it's one of many.

Jonesy makes a valid point. I'm certain there are factions and opposing views in all campaigns, pressure groups, political parties etc. I'm certain this was the case with the 'Gay movement'. However, there was probably a lot of common ground that was worked-on as well and here we could concentrate some thought and fire-power.
Something else we can do where there are areas of disagreement is look-at and promote the evidence. If the evidence says cycling on roads is not dangerous, then why should we need segregated facilities? Because we NEED them or because people PERCIEVE we need them with no basis in fact.

The danger of RLJ oft quoted by motorists, well what is the evidence?
Road-Tax - education required
Road fatalities - who causes what?
Smidsey's
Subhuman treatment of non-motorists
Pollution
Congestion
Journey times
Cycling and health
Left-turning trucks
Campaigning for greater penalties for death by careless/dangerous driving
The Joys of cycling
The idiocy of many farcilities (Warrington Cycle Campaign)
Promotion of Cycle-profficiency
Promotion of cycle to work/school/taxidermist
Work with the media to change perceptions

I dunno, there must be plenty of areas we can formulate some solid opinion on and maybe generate some action.
Work on short-term attitude stuff initially rather than longer-term infrastructure stuff.

But I think most of all we need a credible campaigning voice, someone adequate to face-up to the shouty car-lobby bloke.

Sorry, quick and ranty, gotta dash for a mo...

Top Bottom