The pleasures of early morning commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evilcat

Let's hear it for the early morning commute...

Yesterday was baselayer-cold but bright and sunny around 0630. After a brisk wiggle down to Hammersmith I picked up speed up Hammersmith Road and on into Kensington High Street. Up at the end I did have the misfortune to be scalped by someone with two (full) panniers which rather deflated me. But no matter, I took him on the drag up to the Albert Hall where I did notice his S-Works helmet and Van Nicholas titanium bike! He got me again in Hyde Park along South Carriage Drive, but I dug deep and hit 25mph on the hill up to Hyde Park Corner to get him again, and then of course stood panting at the road junction desparately hoping he wasn't going my way. Then a nice rumble along Piccadilly, Clerkenwell Road and Old Street where all the lights turned to green. The result of this great ride? A new personal best into the office of under 33mins for 9 miles (not bad with 75 sets of lights in the way) with the endorphins flowing and setting me up for a long day nicely.

Returning home (I take a different route) I saw no other cyclist stop at red lights (everyone, and I do mean everyone, I saw going in my direction jumped them), had an idiot taxi driver beeping me for taking primary in the bus lane even though I was being held up by a taxi in front, has three close calls with motorbikes doing around 50mph as they 'made progress' along the Euston Road, and was undertaken by at least 4 scooters pulling away from traffic lights. The crowning glory was a moronic taxi driver who, when I jocularly said "close enough for you mate?" when he pulled up a few cm from me then proceeded to swear at me, telling me that he had already had to "swerve around me" as I wasn't cycling in the gutter.

And finally on the last stretch towards home, my route up a road with only room for one vehicle (cars both sides) was tormented by cretinous car drivers who were not prepared to wait a couple of seconds, insisting that I move out of primary across the potholes (it must be the most potholed road in London) so that their 2 tonnes of steel could hurtle by at 30mph within inches of my elbow. The last few got a shout of "next time, wait!" but I was a bubbling cauldron of hate by the time I got home.

So let's hear it for the joys of early morning cycling, and let's try to forget the horrors of the evening rush hour, particularly in the first week after the summer holidays.

EC

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aye, it is great being out before the rest of the traffic... :biggrin:

Big T

Guru
I really love riding in the early morning at this time of year. There's that slight chill in the air that really wakes you up, especially on a long descent,

D

Deleted member 1258

Now I'm working permanent lates I'm not on the road till 10am, but that means that I don't leave work till quarter to Seven, so I'm getting a lovely early evening ride instead, and I'm missing all the nutters rushing to and from work.

pedallingpasty

Have an earlier commute of 5am with part of it going through some rural roads.
Mist floating in the field, field mice running acroos the road, birds of prey hunting, a young fox running along side me to get to a gate and indecisive rabbits. The chilled air does a great job of waking you up.
But obviously now getting dark, so will miss the sights. But leaving work, i do meet the school run jungle sometimes.
Do the same route after nightshift at 6.30am, trouble is i sometimes have the 'nightshift stare'.

Yes, overall a great time for a cycle.

PS, another good time is 11pm after the late shift, slight chill in the air and roads pretty empty. Just to got to keep an eye out for the boy racers.

0630 is a late start.:whistle:

Unfortunately im 9am today but tomorrows 8am start will be okay hopefully because all the comedians will be in bed.:hello:

Change noticeable AGAIN today after going in at "normal" time....car full of idiots overtakes a few yards from a red light and very deliberately (could see driver concentrating on the nearside mirror) pushes me off the road

No apologies for the kerb-hop (On the MTB this morning, giving it an airing as hoping to go get it muddy tonight) and RLJ to get me well clear of any social deviants with murderous intentions...maybe I was over cautious after my last "incident" with a car full of chavs but these looked similar types intent on having their "sport" whether I was in front or behind, so figured them being a change of lights and a couple of cars behind was the safest.

Yep, compared to the 8am direct route, the 6am scenic route is much, much more pleasurable

Jezston

Über Member
Early for me is on the road at 7:15am - already starting to get busy.

I'd do it earlier but even with our relatively flexible working hours, you aren't allowed to leave before 5pm whatever time you got in :sad:

(not that I'm sure I'd be able to wake up before 7am anyway!)

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Its been bliss during the school holidays, the roads have been deserted in the morning and in the evening they have been noticebly nicer to travel along. I could tell some schools had started back in yesterday, on one stretch I get passed by the same range rover every morning, this mornng 3 other cars passed me as well and one road I cross which has been clear for weeks now has people flying along it

I still agree though, I wouldnt go back to my car although I do still use it. It sounds OTT but I always feel like im living more by being out there in the open air, even more so when its chucking it down with rain and I cycle past a load of commuters in a bus peering out at me :biggrin:

This morning I set out in my usual shorts, thin base layer long sleeve and instead of my usual summer tshirt a micro fleece, put some thin gloves under my short fingered mitts. Cosy warm, if anything could have done without the fleece.

This mornings "lovely view" was ruined by amazingly dense FOG... I could hardly see, and my glasses(corrective) were fogging up too - I can kind of cycle without them but have less distance to see potholes etc at speed - so it slowed me down somewhat this morning (leave at around 7:10).

School holidays makes little difference on the rural roads, but there is one teacher (teaching assistant) that passes me every few days and really doesn't give a shoot about me... or give any thanks ever when I let her by. Sadly if I don't let her by as soon, she will just push past, even on bends forcing me into someones drive way!! :angry:

Top Bottom