The price of wallpaper & paint nowadays is very scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Bear in mind that when I started work (1961) I earned £4.50 a week.
Just bought
5 rolls of wallpaper
Ready made paste
1 gallon of gloss (for soffits/facia/garage)
Undercoat (as above)
Litre of white gloss.
Over £200.00 :wacko:
I know the quality and choice now is amazing compared to when I got my 1st house but back then I paid 2 shiilings (10pence) a roll for wallpaper......I have just paid 20 quid a roll.

I am so shocked I just poured myself a large whisky :rolleyes:

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Back in the late '80's I had a job hanging hand printed wallpaper at a house on Richmond Hill, the paper was well over £100 a roll!

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
WoW. Imagine telling your boss "sorry about that, just got the measurement wrong" :eek:

I was a sub contractor. The main contractor called me and asked if I hung wallpaper, I said yes.
He asked how many rolls per day, I said 'It depends on the type of paper, lining paper about 10 rolls a day on a straight run'
He then said 'What about hand printed?'
About 2 was my reply.

postman

Legendary Member
I was also in the 'game' in my early teens till 22.My dad took me out on a job when i was 11,yes 11.Like you i cannot believe the price of paint,and when i go to read reviews,they come up, like milk and no covering power,i was supposed to be doing our dining room this May i am not pushing to do it at the moment.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You went upmarket.. You could go cheap as chips.

Be happy that you can afford and then moan.

Hope you didn't ask the neighbour how many rolls to do the lounge and have 3 left over.... :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
But i am.....i am.

Then, I imagine your materials cost will be dwarfed by the labour.

screenman

Legendary Member
I paid £35 a roll in 1981 when I lived in a semi in Hanworth. Later in 1988 I had a waste clearance business and one job I got was to clear a shop in Richmond for Osborne and Little, I did very well from that lot.

Top Bottom