The Proverbial commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of us do it for the joy of cycling, some for fitness, some for convenience and some to save on transport expenses. And in many cases it would be a combination of these factors.

I did it for a while and my workplace was well organised with bike park section and showers whoch made it so much easier.

But I stopped as it was eating too much into time and sometimes the weather which made it unpleasant at times. I now do it selectively, a few days a month at most and used the saved time to go out in the evenings and enjoy the ride. In fact I think I going to stop commuting as the evening rides are more enjoyable.

I wonder if there are others that felt and do the same.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some of us do it for the joy of cycling, some for fitness, some for convenience and some to save on transport expenses. And in many cases it would be a combination of these factors.

For me, not a combination of those factors, but all of them.

It wasn't an enjoyable commute this morning by any stretch of the imagination. It was cold, dark windy and wet. It did seem like a chore but I wouldn't have it any other way. I could have cycled direct to work which takes 40 minutes, but as usual without even thinking, I did a longer route.

I am now looking forward to the ride home later and a nice big ride at the weekend.

It's fully understandable that some people don't enjoy the daily grind of a cycle commute and I wouldn't and don't blame them for it. It's certainly not for everybody. If people are getting out in the evenings and/or weekends and enjoying cycling then that's great and all that matters.

There's really no need to do something that spoils the enjoyment of what is a fantastic hobby and pastime.

Last edited:

clf

I only started in October last year, and do it for all of the reasons above. The alternatives are awful for me, I happened to drive this morning due to ice, it took me 90 minutes and cost me god knows how much in wasted petrol. Another alternative for me is the tram, that takes at the very best an hour, usually due to metrolinks complete and utter incompetence more like 2 hours. It's overcrowded and very expensive. Takes me at most 35 minutes on the bike.

I've not really got into leisure cycling yet because of the weather mainly, I can't wait for lighter evenings when I can extend my commute by an hour or two.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've been commuting long distances for many years now, and my commute takes about 70 minutes to work and 95 from work, but I wouldn't swap it for anything, and never miss one. It helps that it's very scenic and green, though: I'd struggle to stay motivated if it included too much busy road. Like the OP, my workplace facilities are good, with security guards, bike cage, showers and lockers, so I can look forward to the warm showers on cold days, and vice versa.

I looked forward to the commute home when I was working, it didnt matter what the weather was doing. Like Ianrauk, I added a bit on to it even when the weather was not ideal. I enjoy cycling, whether it is the commute through Manchester or a ride out in the hills in the evening, so my time was better spent doing the commute and maybe going for a ride in the evenings as well. I now need to get my neck and back working again so I can go back to work and put somes miles on the clock!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I also have a long hilly commute. Like Ian says, mornings like today can be a chore, but vs driving or public transport, cycling is a winner.

when you've ridden through the British winter, it really toughens you up to deal with other aspects of your life.

A cycling colleague once remarked '1st world problem' when another colleague complained of running out of hot chocolate in the coffee machine.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

For me, not a combination of those factors, but all of them.

It wasn't an enjoyable commute this morning by any stretch of the imagination. It was cold, dark windy and wet. It did seem like a chore but I wouldn't have it any other way. I could have cycled direct to work which takes 40 minutes, but as usual without even thinking, I did a longer route.

I am now looking forward to the ride home later and a nice big ride at the weekend.

Thanks for the above. Very much appreciated. I wanted a validation check to see if I was kidding myself. The part where you wrote about taking a longer longer resonates with me. I have done that a couple of times especially on the ride back and enjoyed it enormously. I may give it a go once again and increase frquency. A colleague in the office thinks that I gave up too easily.

Sorry to hear your commute is not for everyday, for whatever reason. Sometimes it is far from fun, as @ianrauk has pointed out, but then sometimes a lot of what we do is not fun all the time.
I have been off my very short commute all this week because last friday night I slipped on carpeted stairs and have bruised/cracked ribs and have found it impossible to ride. I am now missing it, even on my BSO, even in the crap weather that is the UK winter. I am becoming a grumpy old fart, more than usual.
I would suggest you look, if possible, at alternative times/routes/bike for your commute so you may start to enjoy it more.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I usually commute from March - October, as the journey I have to take is too dangerous in the dark, even with the best lights in the world.
Personally, the danger does not bother me, but my Wife does not like it and I have kids.

The rain does not bother me in the slightest, as long as I have the right gear on (or with me for later if it is changeable).
I actually gain time by riding in, because there is always queuing traffic on my route into the nearby town. It is only a 5 mile stint, and takes less than 20 minutes.

I am lucky enough to be able to go out at lunch for an hour, so I can rack up 75 miles Monday-Friday.
During the lighter months I can rack up 140 miles a week which is plenty for me.
The attached image is a typical month for me (from 2014), it did make me smile - I am on my bike nearly everyday, and I cannot get enough.

My work colleagues are very tolerant of my addiction
commutetc.jpg

Cheers

I did it for a while and my workplace was well organised with bike park section and showers whoch made it so much easier.

But I stopped as it was eating too much into time and sometimes the weather which made it unpleasant at times. I now do it selectively, a few days a month at most and used the saved time to go out in the evenings and enjoy the ride. In fact I think I going to stop commuting as the evening rides are more enjoyable.

I wonder if there are others that felt and do the same.

If I changed to an eveing ride that would cut into wife and family time. If I took wife and family cycling with me that would change either the level of exercise i get or my marital status.
If I was single then I would be more likely to log more miles but that is not a trade I would ever make.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
My main commute is by train but in London I try (when the kidney stone lets me) to cycle between meetings, much better than using the tube

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I commute 5-6 miles each way across west London, all year round. It's stimulating and an awful lot of fun. The alternative would be to endure the misery of sitting in traffic for a lot longer than the bike journey. Strangely enough, the bike is more expensive to use than the company van which is entirely free for me to use for the commute. It's a financial sacrifice that I'm more than happy to make.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I enjoy my commute and often extend it to make a nice round 10 mile each way but this moring i got up , tried to start riding and walked quater of a mile through snow then back again so i had nice lumps stuck to the cleats and thought i must be mad so i took the car, as a good portion of my route is on unlit ungritted country lanes i sometimes have to step back .
Coming home the snow had cleared but it was 1.5 degrees and sleeting heavily so it would have been rideable but not enjoyable.

I look out of the window every night in the winter and think, no chance. Then I wake up in the morning get my stuff on and ride in! It's like a habit I cannot break. We are moving work premises soon and its only 2 or 3 mile from my house as opposed to the 9.5 currently. Everyone says I'm lucky but really I'm gutted. I'll have to find a longer route or I'm leaving.

Top Bottom