The queen's Platinum Anniversary 👑

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

I thought he was general secretary of the TUC. I didn't know he sang as well

actually he did - one evening sang The Red Flag while Ted Heath played the tune on his piano.

Petrichorwheels

They showed No 10 Downing Street on the news last night about the same time as the vote of no confidence was taking place. It still has its bunting up. I can see folk keeping theirs up for not only weeks, but months and maybe till the end of the Jubilee year. Then why take it down, as next year it's the 70th anniversary of the coronation. 🇬🇧
I might ask the housing association who own my flat if I'd be allowed to get a flag holder fitted to my wall so I don't have to hang my flag from window to window string. 🤔

View attachment 647954

not a good idea accy - brits only fly flags now and again.
Those things remind me of communist poland - wasn't happy to see them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
not a good idea accy - brits only fly flags now and again.
Those things remind me of communist poland - wasn't happy to see them.

I'm going to have a drive/walk around tomorrow and see how many are still up. If most have come down I'll give it another day then take mine down. If I do It'll have been up exactly 2 weeks. I've made my statement and there comes a time when such things lose their effect if you overdo it. A bit like those who wear poppies or display poppy items all year round maybe.🤔

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm going to have a drive/walk around tomorrow and see how many are still up. If most have come down I'll give it another day then take mine down. If I do It'll have been up exactly 2 weeks. I've made my statement and there comes a time when such things lose their effect if you overdo it. A bit like those who wear poppies or display poppy items all year round maybe.🤔

@Accy cyclist Be a wolf not a sheep, do want you want not what others do, if you feel it's right to leave the buntings up for the whole 12 month then DO IT!

stephec

Legendary Member
Back to the BBMF, if you're ever near RAF Coningsby it's well worth a visit, if you like that kind of thing obviously.

They often have veterans around, and whilst we were there we were lucky enough to chat to a Lancaster wireless operator who was a POW after being shot down over France.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Underwhelmed by it all actually.I have just watched the BBC 10-00 o'clock news and seen the events,good to see people enjoying themselves after covid lockdown.But what I did find shocking was the state of her Majesty she has got old looking very quickly,so soon after Philips death,I noticed something similar with Ken Dodd,so I predict within six months about December there will be a state funeral.If not I'll donate £10 to a charity named on here.
I'm not sure that Ken Dodd's appearance changed much after Phil's death.

Petrichorwheels

I'm not sure that Ken Dodd's appearance changed much after Phil's death.

not sure I understand this.
Yes the queen did look frail on the balcony - somewhat different from in the paddington bit - maybe filmed a fair while before with rest before.
after that appearance lulu seemed to be shedding a few tears - a bit of discreet tissue dabbing.

D

Deleted member 26715

For him personally, maybe lucky to have been shot down and survived.
Losses were appalling.

Yes they were, it brings home to you how different kids are today or even when I was a late teenager at the end of the 70's, the pilots of the Lancaster & 'm sure other planes were only in their early 20's with the crew often younger than that. The responsibility they had on their shoulders was immense for such young ages.

Top Bottom