1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Reality and the Fantasy

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I envision myself as a 5'8", 13 stone bloke with thighs of granite and calves of sinewy dolphin like movements when I'm on my cycle. I'm in my early 30s and play rugby. I see myself as a dashing and fast cyclist, not as fast as the lycra warriors but better then the average Joe on two wheels.

As I approached the last 3 miles of my commute tonight, having completed 11 miles, I turned left. I saw a cylist signaling to turn down the same road. She was on a sit-up bike and I thought - she's taking her time. A middle-aged frumpy type, I thought. Nothing wrong with that, at all. But I was glad I was a bit more athletic.

Anyway, on I went, pounding into the wind, thighs burning, sweat pouring, lungs heaving (really). I looked over my shoulder. There she was. Right behind me. Blimey, I thought. I must be going slower then I thought. Better get the real burn on. So I pedalled as hard as I could. And she stayed behind me, literally, for two miles before turning off.

And I thought - that's what I really look like. A stand up cyclist just pedalling along moderately. Not athletic at all.

My God - vanity is setting in. I need to change my bike, my gear and my fitness levels.

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

have you got knobbly tyres?

3. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I have a three year old sirrus specialized with decent tyres. (Bought 2nd hand fabout two years ago for £250). It's a bit big for me. Now I am a bit more cycle savvy I'm aiming to buy a 2nd bike, something a bit more "racey" through the Cycle to Work Scheme.

It's just a fitness thing. When I first started cycling into London some old bloke with a massive green vegetable in his front basket overtook me on the Thames Embankment, just before the Albert Bridge.

I've learnt that the faster you can cycle the safer you can be.

4. davidtq

davidtq New Member

Its not necesarily a fitness thing, I went from a 700c wheeled hybrid to a good road bike and overnight went from having to pedal like mad to try to keep up with some of the more sporty cyclists to blatting past them all with ease. Good for the ego :biggrin:. my hybrid was on 700x35 tyres though not sure what your bike is on.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Did her bike look a bit like this?

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

excellent, good man, this really made me smile

I hate that when you see someone female and old on an old bike going quick

money is here for my new Spec Tricross, off to Cycle Surgery Hampstead o the way home tomorrow to sit on a 58cm for size

very excited, the old junker is on it last legs but it sure is going out in glory, caught all the greens from the top of the hill on Camden Road right through to Manor House last night at about 7.45, following wind and caution thrown to it, went like a cannon ball, moving quicker than the traffic in most places

can't wait for a good bike with everything working on it ...

7. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Now you're getting techie. Have to say, I moved from a cheap hybrid to the Sirrus and the transition was smooooooth and wonderful.

Did the lady have an electric cycle? I don't know as I didn't want to glance at her too closely over my shoulder, in case I gave her the impression that I was worried that she might overtake me. No doubt she was readng the Daily Mail at the time, nestled on her handlebars, whilst sipping a cup of hot milky tea held in her right hand with the little pinky streched out. And wondering why I was going so slow and holding her up.

8. spindrift

spindrift New Member

There's a long uphill drag on Ruckholt Road.
    I like to stretch my legs on it- going slightly uphill really helps my cadence- gives me something to bite against, you know?

Anyway, a gentleman on a racer passed me on my Trek, so I thought "Game on".

I swear this old duffer was 60 years old plus, lycra'ed up, sinewy legs, physique of a greyhound.

He wiped the floor with me.

I did the old trick of looking ahead and trying not to allow my breathing to become audible and he just pissed all over me, did 5mph+ my speed with hardly any effort.

A blow to the ego, chapeau to the soppy old duffer, great respect sir.

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

very good, both you two last

those thin old blokes are deadly

10. walker

walker New Member

She could of been giving it her all and every time you looked round just tried to act cool, haha.

Also she was in your slipstream all the way which would make it easier for her to keep up

11. BentMikey ain't that bad.;)