The rear light on a helmet......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a set from Tescos and use the red flasher on the back of my helmet rather than fixing it alongside the lights on my bike.

The positives I find as discussed, the light being higher has a greater visibility range. Another positive, in the unlikely event of coming off the bike you remain lit !!!!.

It is secured the helmet using velcro not sure if how that would effect any impact?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I cottoned on to having lights on my helmet earlier on in the year afer spotting a cyclist with one and having a chat with Sig on a CC ride.

I now have 4 on the back and 3 on the front of it! When the lumo helmet rain cover is on it positivly glows and I am sure it has save me from alot more near missies than not.

And yes, my neck got bigger from the extra weight! haha!

But I am noticing a few more cyclist doing the same too.

Norm

I had a helmet light for a few rides but the bracket made me wonder whether putting a light on it not only compromised any potential / perceived benefits of wearing the helmet (depending on mounting, it might make the helmet more dangerous if directly impacted).

So I got a headband strap for my headlight, which holds the light beneath the helmet on my right ear.

thomas

the tank engine
Norm said:
I had a helmet light for a few rides but the bracket made me wonder whether putting a light on it not only compromised any potential / perceived benefits of wearing the helmet (depending on mounting, it might make the helmet more dangerous if directly impacted).

So I got a headband strap for my headlight, which holds the light beneath the helmet on my right ear.

I think it would, as if you caught it when you fell it could twist your neck in a different way to how it was designed.

I've still got extra straps on my helmet + helmet camera and things. I'm not too worried :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Seen this argument before - IMO it's nonsense. The safety advantage from the head-mounted light will *FAR* outweigh whatever drop might be brought by a reduction in helmet performance. Even if you believe in Magic Foam Hats (TM) and expect a safety effect, this will still hold true.

Norm

BentMikey said:
Seen this argument before - IMO it's nonsense.
What argument is that, BM? My post, if I'm not being paranoid, was not about the safety benefits of the head light which you and I have agreed on previously. If I can get those benefits with the torch mounted under the helmet, what's to argue?

The increased risk from the helmet mount causing impact or rotational injuries might be small but I reckon I've mitigated it to just about zero for a tenner.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I mean the general debate which is too easy to raise with helmet mounted items - it's another meme that needs the wider picture for us to realise that it's a huge overall positive to have head-mounted lights.

Norm

BentMikey said:
... it's a huge overall positive to have head-mounted lights.
+1 to that! :becool:

The wife followed me in the car across the huge roundabout at Handy Cross at about 4pm last Saturday.

She was a change of lights behind me (hee hee poor little motorist) and said that she could see me disappearing down the A404 towards Maidenhead when she was still queued to get on from the A4010. The thing that made me stand out most was seeing the Joystick and Redeye Micro moving around over the cars as I kept my safety bubble.

Whilst that is not exactly an environment which I'd recommend for any other cyclist, I don't like to think that there are too many "badlands" which shouldn't be cycled and it's good to stand out as much as possible.

Top Bottom