The right bike or the right fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I think I know the answer to this, but interested in the thoughts of the wise and experienced CC community.

I got a very thorough bike fitting from Hooked On Cycling last year. They fit a road bike that I had previously bought. The fitting took 1 1/2 hours and cost £60. The bike was much better to ride afterwards.

They still have my measurements so said would set up a new bike the same way. I'm about to purchase one on Cyclescheme so getting it from them would be easy and I'd be reassured it would allow to cycle longer without getting a sore back etc.

However, they only do Cube and Scott which aren't getting me very excited. I got an email from Rutland there with a Giant Defy 0 for £799. It's lovely but would be custom fit not would I have a shop to take in into.

So, buy the bike you really like from Internet or get a bike that is nice but not your first choice but is more functional?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The bike you like everytime.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Thing is, a place like Velocity 44 has more bikes, lot of ranges, but they are unpleasant to deal with. Service at Hooked on Cycling is excellent. Just wished they sold more bikes.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Me setting it up is not great option. The fitting was very thorough, measured a lot, adjusted a lot - I was impressed by how detailed it was.

vickster

Legendary Member
I requested move after the retul fit, emailed over. Could you ask, you've paid for the service and outcomes/data :smile:

Similar to my love of work, I can't refuse to provide the data to my clients that they have paid for additional to my expertise and tools

Last edited:

S-Express

They just fit the bike

Just take the measurements from the bike itself - just as easy.

Saddle height from centre of BB to top of saddle (+/- any difference in crank length)
Saddle setback from headset top cap bolt to saddle nose
Stem length
Height of stem from base of stem clamp to centre of front wheel axle.

Assuming the frame geo is not massively different from one bike to another, that should get you in the ballpark.

Fitting new bike to me would be free using previous fitting stats.

In my humble opinion all bikes require a different fitting assuming you're the sort to pay for that in the first place.. Frame, saddle, bars etc all affect ride impact so simply having the geometry set up the same from one bike to the next does not automatically = perfect fit.

If all else fails you could probably demand the data under Data Protection Act as it's personal to you.

But I have never found it necessary to pay to make sense-based adjustments when you can do it yourself based on, um, your self perception, which I believe is a better yardstick than any beardy bloke with a tape.

bb

alicat

Legendary Member
I got a very thorough bike fitting from Hooked On Cycling last year. They fit a road bike that I had previously bought. The fitting took 1 1/2 hours and cost £60. The bike was much better to ride afterwards.

I'm not understanding why you couldn't buy the Giant Defy 0 and take it to Hooked On Cycling for a fitting like you did the last bike?

Top Bottom