The rollercoaster of cycling popularity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vapin' Joe

Formerly known as Smokin Joe
Do what me old mucker?

A bicycle is a viable alternative to the car for transporting a person - and most cars out there have only a single occupant - to work, the shops, bookies, cafe, etc.

A set of skis is just as relevant to a bicycle to someone who just doesn't like riding one. Few people would be prepared to give up their cars to cycle everywhere, and that includes the boomers who flocked in during covid along with the new golf types. There may have been scores of them out on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but once they got home it was into the car to go to the shops or take the family to visit gran or run to the seaside.
 

Aston

Well-Known Member
I started writing a short response, which became a bit self indulgent, but here we go...

An interesting thread, I'm sort of quite new to all this, though on and off over the years have had a bicycle*, I like the idea of using a bicycle more for just getting out of the house, going to town which is 8 miles away and camping, however, I'm a lifelong motorcyclist. I had what I'd call a racing bike when a teenager, my dad rebuilt it from a scrap bike, rode it until I got my first motorbike and no longer had to fight headwinds in wet and windy Weston-super-Mare.

I also ran a community project to help people back to work in Weston, including at one point finding funding to buy 3 ebikes to loan out to people getting to work. They could use them for 2-3 months depending on need, we arranged training, free helmets, locks etc, but the take up was tiny, despite great referrals from the Job Centre, people just didn't like the idea of cycling to work**, and Weston is mostly very flat. This was 10 years ago, maybe things have changed post Covid.

* still consider myself a person who occasionally rides a bicycle rather than a cyclist, which for me conjures up images of lycra clad MAMILS
** none of those we loaned bikes to had any other transport

I'll head for cover now
hide.gif
 

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The car in any guise petrol diesel or electric (strip mining for the lithium) are major contributions to Climate Change. Few governments or populations will seriously consider stopping this until its too late and we're up to our knees in water and wildly adverse weather that can affect our entire existence.
 

brommieinkorea

Über Member
Location
'Merica darnit
There’s no correlation between the two.

I was comparing the continued growth of open-water swimming versus cycling having lower growth in the UK. I wondered about the two because both grew considerably in Britain during the pandemic. But cycling has plateaued or shrunk since Covid, whereas open-water has maintained its momentum. I was merely wondering why. Could cycling (the industry, clubs or cycling community) learn anything from this?

My point is, open water swimming is pure leasure activity (unless the ferry sinks) cycling is not. It's not like comparing apples to oranges it's like comparing apples to hand grenades.
 

Webbo2

Veteran
I think a cyclist is just someone who considers a bicycle as their main form of transport. They may use other forms, but locally cycling beats the others most of the time.

I consider my cyclist but I haven’t cycled to the shops or the like for about 8 years. My riding is purely recreational in that I put on my cycling clothing and get on my bike and ride. I use the car to go to shops and our nearest shop is the mini mart at the garage a mile away.
I used to walk down there for stuff these days I use the car. My excuse I don’t need to be doing anymore exercise given I walk the dog 4 miles plus 5 days a week as well as the cycling.
 
Top Bottom