The rugby free thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

User76 said:
At least it will give you Scotlandish people a chance to gloat at us

I think this is quite a telling point. Most other nations do not "gloat". Whereas it appears there is something about the English media (and maybe England) which involves gloating. It's not a good thing.

Noodley

User76 said:
You cannot be serious??????????????? You are seriously telling me that the majority of Scots would not gloat if England lost tomorrow? You're pished.

I am speaking about gloating in victory. I don't reckon many other countries would take it as far. OK, some rivalry may be present, but gloating in victory is not something I reckon happens too often (the media may try to portray other countries are gloating when they defeat England but mostly this is the media portrayal)
I am sure many Scots will gloat in your defeat by at least 20 points. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...Watching the interviews with the 'fans' I get the distinct impression that Rugby is still predominantly a public school game. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Noodley said:
Bitter? Nah. No point being bitter. Being honest, I would not mind if England won the World Cup. If only we could move on. Win it, have a party, move on.

I made the mistake of listening to Chris Evans tonight on the radio (my daughter switches it on in the car when I take her to dance class on Friday) and all I got from it was the worst of English nationalism. And the rest of the small amount of media coverage I have seen is no better.

If only the media and "the public" (I know this is a sweeping generalisation and is probably "the public" as portrayed by the media) could conduct themselves a bit better - from what I have seen of the England team they certainly do not associate with the rubbish spouted, and they seem decent spuds.

I think what you say is reasonable when you consider that the press only really know how to cover football which is a whore of a game played by morons and watched by chavs. Rugby is way above this in all aspects but the good old English press give it the football treatment which is seriously unfitting. Alas any English rugby success is likely to be celebrated by football chavs given the miserable performance of the national 11 mincing overpaid tarts in the European cup qualifiers. So if you get any of that unseemly gloating which is not representative of rugby, you know how to treat it.

Noodley

Andy in Sig said:
I think what you say is reasonable when you consider that the press only really know how to cover football which is a whore of a game played by morons and watched by chavs. Rugby is way above this in all aspects but the good old English press give it the football treatment which is seriously unfitting. Alas any English rugby success is likely to be celebrated by football chavs given the miserable performance of the national 11 mincing overpaid tarts in the European cup qualifiers. So if you get any of that unseemly gloating which is not representative of rugby, you know how to treat it.

Yes. Although as an ex-footballer I take exception to the "played by morons" part :rolleyes:

I stood and watched a few minutes of a local rugby game this afternoon whilst walking my dog. It was quite good. I even clapped when the local team scored. :biggrin: Although I was disappointed to see "high fives" - whatever happened to a manly pat on the back? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom