The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Assuming France win tomorrow next weekend is set for a grand slam showdown.

England, once again, on a different level to their opponents. It's a bit silly really at this point but there are signs of improvement from the other teams, albeit not Ireland who've definitely gone backwards.

AndyRM

XOXO
Great result for our lassies today, although we nearly blew it in the last minute. If Italy were capable of catching the ball we'd have lost by some way I think.

Big game in Ireland for us next week. Not Grand Slam big, but still qualifies us for the World Cup which is huge for us.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Assuming France win tomorrow next weekend is set for a grand slam showdown.

England, once again, on a different level to their opponents. It's a bit silly really at this point but there are signs of improvement from the other teams, albeit not Ireland who've definitely gone backwards.

Funny been seeing some of the England women results last couple of weeks and I’m saying to myself , what’s is the actual point ?! They seem to be hammering everyone, not much competition. Maybe I’m wrong mind ? Don’t follow the woman’s game but on the face of it , what’s the point in hammering treams by cricket scores ??

geocycle

Legendary Member
Funny been seeing some of the England women results last couple of weeks and I’m saying to myself , what’s is the actual point ?! They seem to be hammering everyone, not much competition. Maybe I’m wrong mind ? Don’t follow the woman’s game but on the face of it , what’s the point in hammering treams by cricket scores ??

Well that’s sport. There are lots of instances where one team or individual is so much better than the others, NZ all blacks for many years for example. England are not world champions and will have more competition against France. The difference here is it’s not a level playing field as the England, France and NZ set ups are fully professional so the gap is quite stark. From a spectator point of view I agree with you.

AndyRM

XOXO

They're a fully professional set up, as are France, since 2019 (NZ since 2022). Every other side gets some funding, but don't have a squad of full time pros.

On one hand, you're right, there's little to be gained by getting thrashed off them and there have been a couple of times when the physical differences have looked dangerous, but that's part of the inherent risk in the game I guess.

I don't often do comparisons with the men's game because it's not fair, but if you look at where Japan and Argentina were 20 years ago compared to now that's the kind of turnaround you can get with proper funding.

The women's game is growing, albeit slowly. New Zealand are (predictably enough) miles ahead of everyone, England and France behind them and then everyone else is much of a muchness.

We've won in Wales for the first time in 10 years, and this was our first win in Italy ever. If we can beat the Irish I'm pretty sure it'll be our most successful 6 Nations campaign.

Top Bottom