The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's long bugged me that there's no thread for, simply, the rugby, in the way that there is for, say, football or cricket. So apologies for the presumption in mooting one, but I honestly couldn't find anywhere to post.

And I can't believe I'm the only one who saw Ireland v All Blacks yesterday.

I was brooding about this in a back-of-mind sort of way when I came across a post by somone called Unionfan who said so exactly what I felt, and it was so honest and so heartfelt that I wanted to share it. But I couldn't find a place. So I made one.

The only thing I would add, as other posters on the Guardian site had, was recognition for the dignified behaviour of the ABs in defeat. The ability to lose with grace is a value we should cherish in a world sliding toward America's sneering 'show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser' mindset.

As I said to my daughter, who poked her head round the door just after the final whistle, "It was everything rugby can be!"

And I'm half kiwi.

'way the lads.

:okay:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I saw the second half, and you are right, excellent rugby from both sides. I also watched the Eng v Aus later, and again a good match if less competitive - England dominated and should have won by an even larger margin.

What really "gets my goat" watching Rugby, however, is the multitude of penalties that are given with no explanation from the commentators. The rules can be tricky , especially in the breakdown, and the game would be immensely improved for the casual watcher by helpful pointers from the pundits. Is it that they have no idea either why a penalty is awarded perhaps ?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
What really "gets my goat" watching Rugby, however, is the multitude of penalties that are given with no explanation from the commentators. The rules can be tricky , especially in the breakdown, and the game would be immensely improved for the casual watcher by helpful pointers from the pundits. Is it that they have no idea either why a penalty is awarded perhaps ?
Listen to the match with ref sound, as I'm doing on Prime. Truly excellent, no wittering commentators and you'll get and education into the interpretation of the Laws of Rugby. The ref in WAL-FIJ is doing a brilliant job, and also changing his mind where necessary, such as the sending-off, where his TMO & Touch Judges correctly influenced him to award a Red, not the Yellow that was his initial instinct.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Loved the NZ v Ireland game. Brilliant skill to play at that pace for 80 mins. I do agree that the number of penalties is ridiculous, although the recent increase is because of protecting the head area. I’d like to see them only for foul play and everything else, especially in the scrum to be free kicks.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I saw the second half, and you are right, excellent rugby from both sides. I also watched the Eng v Aus later, and again a good match if less competitive - England dominated and should have won by an even larger margin.

Watching football I can at least understand pretty much every decision. I may disagree with it, but I get it. Not in rugby. I'd say a third of the time I haven't a clue.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Contesting the ball at the breakdown does seem to be a lottery at times. Especially if you have someone lying on top of you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ireland NZ was a brilliant match. England vs Australia ... wasn't.

I have to admit I've lost touch with most of the laws around the breakdown, and they keep sneaking new changes in without telling me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thinking about it, there are 5 laws that I understand

1) No forward passes
2) The offside law
3) The set piece. The ref may blow for a random penalty or free kick at any time during or immediately after a lineout or a scrum. Except for the crooked feed law. Referees are not allowed to enforce that.
4) Dangerous stuff is not allowed: High tackles, tackles in the air etc.
5) The breakdown. The ref may blow for a random penalty or free kick or award a scrum to either side (at random) during the period between a tackle being made and the ball being passed away from the resulting blob of arms and legs.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was brilliant (I did wonder if my natural bias was affecting my judgement^_^).

I have been finding the game increasingly attritional and not holding my interest the way it used to. This one felt like it was full of interest and the constant recycling of the ball seemed to be with effect. To often it seems like a dance of Crabs moving sideways back and forth. Skills were high, the ball was recycled at pace and hard yards were won.

The newer players are really developing and there's more depth that ever before. I'm a lot more optimistic about Irelands prospects than I have been over the past couple of years when Schmidt's blueprint became stale. Farrell says they are preparing for the RWC where the minimum aim has to be to get past the Quarter Finals for the first time ever. Unfortunately if they get out of their group their QF opponents are either France or NZ - currently my picks as likely the two best teams. But each victory brings confidence and they have to beat whoever they play against.

Carberry has to be key to the side developing. As Sexton ages they need to start Carberry with a view to bringing Jonny on to see them home. To cover for injury they also need a 3rd and 4th No 10 in the system.

Final thought; as much as Ireland were up for it, NZ did look a little jaded there was a lack of "dominant tackles" and Ireland bossed the gain line. They will be better prepared next summer. I'll be happy to see more players given experience and would settle for one victory in the the three match series.

Final final thought. Thanks for starting this thread. Have only seen the wife since Saturday and I've been trying to get her to appreciate the above points but she seems strangely resistant to the very idea....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
England rode the SA power game and just about won. SA are route 1 attritional games.
The penalty count was horrendous but we did score some good tries.

Top Bottom