The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Occasional rugby fan here. Anyone confident enough to rate the performances of the main teams (6 nations teams plus nz, aus and sa).

I saw a news piece from a Welsh paper that came up with the argument that Wales were unfairly ranked by the irb ranking system so we came up with our own that puts Wales third behind England and SA at 1. Typical Wales online rubbish as I believe they won a few when the other side was on 13 or 14 men on the pitch.

If anyone can give an honest summary of the autumn series, I'd be interested.

My uneducated feeling is that northern hemisphere had an advantage as the southern hemisphere teams just didn't click somehow. I think England introduced a new feel to their setup that's going to be exciting going forward, but only if farrell doesn't come back into the first choice setup. NZ I think were tired or something but as a team, WOW! Great respect too their mindset. They are the most professional team in sport IMHO. Ireland are a team that's moved on and should be considered with NZ, SA, AUS (when better than they are now) and ENG as the top teams and in an order that will change around. France I think have talent, like always, but they need something to be consistent, have they finally got it?

Sorry about the above rubbish. I did say I was an occasional fan and really knows very little about the details. The above is probably wrong which is why I'm hoping someone will educate me with a better summary.

yello

The All Blacks weren't on form for whatever reason. They've had a large number of games within the last 3 or 4 months so maybe this autumn series (or northern tour as they called it, as they played the USA as well) was just games too many. The same could be said for Aus and SA.

I've not been an England fan for a good number of years but I found myself enjoying the style of rugby they are now playing. I'm always impressed at how Wales punch above their weight and, as a rule, are attractive to watch (imho) Ireland have actually been stronger in the past and if anything have been a weaker these past years but are building back again. Scotland, the underdogs for some time now, are actually my favourite 6N team; they've been getting progressively stronger, putting in good performances only to be pipped at the post.

France are always hot and cold. I don't think anything will ever change that! On their day, they were exhilarating... but I don't think we'll ever see that unpredictable 'French flair' again. These days, there rugby is much more controlled.

All imho of course! ^_^

Edit: Oh, and SA are always a beast of a team!

DRM

Guru
Why is there nothing on here about what Kevin Sinfield has just done?

To run 101 miles through the biting cold and dark of winter has been truly inspiring. It's a pity it came so soon after the Children in Need weekend when people may be suffering from compassion fatigue and that could affect the amount raised but I get the impression this giant of a man wouldn't be too bothered if it was 1p. It's his devotion to his mate that drove him on. Always quick to deflect attention onto his helpers and the others and to constantly remind us why he's doing it. He deserves a very high award for his achievements here.
Should mention as well that prior to this he also ran 7 marathons in 7 days for the MND charity, the No 7 being chosen as it was the squad number of Rob Burrow, he is still so fit he could probably put a pair of boots on & play if he felt so inclined

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am really disgusted about the half time analysis on the Scotland-England game. It is all about England and what they should have done or failed to do. There are two teams on the field and one was much better than the other, and it wasn't the one wearing white.
So come on, be fair and give a bit more credit to the blue team.

yello

Was tense stuff indeed. I tend to follow Scotland in the 6N so that result makes me smile but I can't help but feel England threw that away in 2 moments; forgetting to tackle/defend and then an individual mistake (or daft action if you like) Scotland where always in it, battling away as ever, but on balance of play England will be disappointed with themselves.

D

Deleted member 1258

Was tense stuff indeed. I tend to follow Scotland in the 6N so that result makes me smile but I can't help but feel England threw that away in 2 moments; forgetting to tackle/defend and then an individual mistake (or daft action if you like) Scotland where always in it, battling away as ever, but on balance of play England will be disappointed with themselves.

England gave it away, :sad: good contest though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am really disgusted about the half time analysis on the Scotland-England game. It is all about England and what they should have done or failed to do. There are two teams on the field and one was much better than the other, and it wasn't the one wearing white.
So come on, be fair and give a bit more credit to the blue team.
I was thinking the same myself while watching that. Nothing unusual about it though; us Scots get used to such bias from the British (??) Broadcasting Corporation.
Excellent game though, and of course Scotland deserved the victory. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

yello

What he was thinking taking off Smith is a mystery.
Tbh, I thought he had taken a knock/was injured. I actually thought he wasn't going to take that final penalty at first, he seemed to indicate that all wasn't right. He's a talent for sure and it'll be interesting to see how he develops.

grldtnr

England gave it away, :sad: good contest though.
Yes, England could have taken a draw, in the dying moments of the game, instead of a loss, a share of the points instead of gifting Scotland the win.
Elliot Daly was still on the field , he has a big boot.
The wrong gamble in the end.
Begrudged fair do's to the Scots tho'.

Top Bottom