The sale of fireworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok so it's a bit of fun once a year, but around here it's become a problem. Essex Chavs seem to be able to get hold of these and set them off earlier each year...saw my first a few weeks ago and there were several on last nights ride.

I think there is a case for increasing the age at which a firework can be bought and limiting there sale to the day before Guyfawkes night maybe....at least in Chav city anyway.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think they should be banned from public sale.

I never used to think this, but every Year its the same. The chavs up the road get hold of them, and end up throwing them everywhere.

Mind you, it was quite entertaining last Year when one of them let fired a large rocket from their bedroom window, only to have it misfire and detonate in the room :biggrin:. All we knew about it was a huge muffled thud, smoke billowing from the window, and said choking, stunned chavs exiting the front door at speed :biggrin:

Its only a matter of time before our car or worse gets damaged in one of these incidents though.

On top of that, even when used responsibly, they must terrify the wildlife. As I get older I believe more and more strongly they should be limited to organised displays only.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maybe Gordon will come down hard on shops, which sell fireworks to underage customers, same as he says he's going to do on booze. We'll see....

caz

I agree with Panter, I think they should be banned from public sale. Fireworks have already been let off around here over the last 2 or 3 weeks, admittedly over the weekend, but generally just as I'm going off to sleep around 11.30pm!! It doesn't help that my dog is petrified by fireworks and I have to get up to try and calm him! And as 5th Nov approaches there won't be any let up and it will continue until the New Year or after. I wouldn't mind fireworks if they were just kept to the 5th Nov and organised displays but some of the fireworks nowadays are such that they rock the house when they go off! It sounds like WW2 has started all over again!

Pete

Agree, agree, agree... Yell "killjoy!" if you like, having stood through many organised firework displays in my lifetime, I begin to get a bit blasé, to see the boring old 'sameness' about all these shows. Unless you have Harry Potter-like powers, there's only a limit to what a firework can do, after a while one aerial display differs from the preceding one only in the colour ...

But of course the organised displays - most of the time - are perfectly 'safe' - or are they? There have been accidents. Perhaps I'm going too far in saying this, am I spoiling it for everyone?

As far as unruly kids go, well the problem goes right back into history. I distinctly remember, when I was a kid, my father going after a couple of lads from down the street who let off a banger in his front garden. Caught them, and gave them a good ol' 'clip around the ear'. Of course if someone did that today he'd be in prison. We're terribly over-protective of our kids now, compared to how things were in the 1950s. Except when it comes to messing with fireworks. How come?

caz

ChrisW said:
"It sounds like WW2 has started all over again!"

Caz, were you there? What was it like? And you do well to cycle at your age! :biggrin:

Ha ha ha:biggrin: No I'm not THAT old!!!! It's what my mother-in-law tells me it was like;)

ChrisKH

Guru
I had a bad accident with a firework (my own fault) when I was about 13. I can't imagine what I would think if my own son's got hold of them at that age. They used to be legal at 14 when I was younger. Ban 'em I say (from being sold to the public). Not in the public interest to have these on sale IMO. Organised displays I have no problem with.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Pete said:
Agree, agree, agree... Yell "killjoy!" if you like, having stood through many organised firework displays in my lifetime, I begin to get a bit blasé, to see the boring old 'sameness' about all these shows. Unless you have Harry Potter-like powers, there's only a limit to what a firework can do, after a while one aerial display differs from the preceding one only in the colour ...

But of course the organised displays - most of the time - are perfectly 'safe' - or are they? There have been accidents. Perhaps I'm going too far in saying this, am I spoiling it for everyone?

As far as unruly kids go, well the problem goes right back into history. I distinctly remember, when I was a kid, my father going after a couple of lads from down the street who let off a banger in his front garden. Caught them, and gave them a good ol' 'clip around the ear'. Of course if someone did that today he'd be in prison. We're terribly over-protective of our kids now, compared to how things were in the 1950s. Except when it comes to messing with fireworks. How come?

I assume the big displays are fairly safe, mind you if you're standing 150' back from a rocket that can soar to 300' with enough explosive power to bring down an apache longbow then it does makes you wonder.....................

The difference, for me anyway, is that if we go to an organised display (and we probably will, have done the last couple of Years) then I accept the risk.
Obviously, i'd be immensley annoyed to be taken out by a stray rocket at Leeds castle, and if there is some sort of after life I'd be spending mine moaning about it to anyone who'd listen.
Oh, and haunting people I don't like :biggrin:

I don't though, want to face the risk of a rocket crashing through my living room window and blowing me through the kitchen wall when i'm sitting with my feet up, watching the telly :biggrin:

caz

ChrisW said:
That's even more amazing...you actually LISTEN to your mother-in-law...Wow!

Not much choice really - she's a domineering woman and her son's got similar traits. If I'd only known......

Top Bottom