The Scout Association Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I was a late joiner of scouts at the age of nearly 17, also volunteered with the younger group when they did weekends/camps/etc. Wish I'd joined years earlier.

For various medical reasons my eldest has severe difficulty forming friendships so is very isolated at school. Scouts in the one environment where he can enjoy fun activities, be challenged, recognise the importance of teamwork, learn leadership skills, work in/for the community, etc. He's even done an international camp and isn't yet in his teens. The opportunities are amazing, and I'm struggling to thing of any other organisation that exists all over the country, offers so much, and caters for such a wide age-range.
This is exactly what it’s all about, however as a leader it can be a thankless, time consuming & expensive experience, some parents think you are a cheap child minder,while you spend evenings planning activities, then you have to run camps, or you loose your nights away permit, which you have to earn before running a camp, district events that you feel obliged to participate in, all the training to get the wood badge (qualified leader award) as well as first response training & they wonder why they struggle to recruit new leaders

subaqua

What’s the point
Does it? Seems a very old fashioned view. I'm very sceptical. Not an either/or but I think things like NCS will eat DofE alive.

I bow to your superior knowledge of what employers look for...

lazybloke

Considering a new username
This is exactly what it’s all about, however as a leader it can be a thankless, time consuming & expensive experience, some parents think you are a cheap child minder,while you spend evenings planning activities, then you have to run camps, or you loose your nights away permit, which you have to earn before running a camp, district events that you feel obliged to participate in, all the training to get the wood badge (qualified leader award) as well as first response training & they wonder why they struggle to recruit new leaders
Yes, I'm staggered by the contribution of leaders today; effort and time. In contrast, the efforts I made when volunteering 30 years ago were tiny.
I've been volunteering for the last 6 years too, but finding spare time is a challenge. I don't know how scout leaders do it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've not read the thread yet - I may do it later.

The organisation promote doing 'stuff' as I see it. Yeh it's a bit 'risky'... at times. I did it as a kid, the leader was an arse, but I have still been polite with her.

Our local group has been run by a good mate of mine (life long mate) and other folk I know, and my BIL was a leader. I got 're-involved' as a parent helper, as it's blooming manic and I enjoyed it. My lad was at Beavers at the time and they were desperate for MALES, I volunteered as a parent. Had good fun, was hard getting out of work, but the leaders were 'teachers' as their kids were there. Moves on a few years, and I'm there as loan parent, no teacher training etc. Keeps going but it's a major stress on top of my day job. Stayed on past my son moving to cubs, but it was hard - got no training (I got DBS). I gave it up in the end as most parents see it as a baby sitting service, it's not. it needs help, and a heck of the lot the kids get 'up to' needs supervision.

But parent's are still in nanny land. The association does loads of cool stuff - accept the risks FFS.. I was well up for tear arsing round the camp sites on my MTB, but the Scouts said..OK bit much for the youngsters...

It's a cracking association.... it's stuffy nosed parents that are the issue now.

DRM

Guru
Yes, I'm staggered by the contribution of leaders today; effort and time. In contrast, the efforts I made when volunteering 30 years ago were tiny.
I've been volunteering for the last 6 years too, but finding spare time is a challenge. I don't know how scout leaders do it.
Sadly not many people think the way that you do

fossyant

Scouts are Kool - if you can help, do it - it's good fun. Don't mention charity bike rides. Given a choice, I would have had all the bikes in a pre ride compound.... we tried 'free bike checks'- I offered to check them all for free - 'nope it was done by the shop' - nearly every bike was a steaming pile of poo.

lane

Veteran
My son and daughter both go to scouts - son now an exploer. They have got a lot out of it and done a lot of things they otherwise would not have done - sking, sailing, camping etc. One thing that is good in today's society (and one thing my son liked about it) is its a lot less risk adverse than school. Sounds like a daft thing but he toasted marshmellows on the fire fron being a young cub but went on a camp with school age 11 and the leaders had to do it not the kids - H&S! He went on a cycle tour with scouts on roads and without imediate adult supervision. He will be able to complete silver / gold Duke of Edingburgh with scouts while school only did bronze.

I do think it could be made more accessable and modern in some ways. I think some of the rituals and uniform might be offputting to some. It relies on volunteers (some are and great some can be a bit odd) and to an extent parents having disposable income which mitigates against participation from those in less advnataged communities. I think as a society we need to think about how kids from disadvantaged backgrounds can access these sort of activities and that requires public money.

I think with kids becoming more obsessed with technology Scouts offers good alternatives.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any scheme/movement that relies on volunteers needs to remember that those volunteers will need supporting, just as much if not those they are running the scheme/movement for.

Forget that piece and you risk it being sidelined.

fossyant

My son's group got Scout Gold and they were all by far the youngest that year - got it by 15 ? . I've nothing but respect, and I helped for years, but as a non-trained person (in dealing with parents) that one 'ass' finished it for me. I was in a very professional job as well. The parent was a 'non worker' but the vile she hit on me for telling her 'much bigger daughter' to stop hitting a much smaller boy (my son) to 'stop' (in my role as a helper) - I just thought 'fark this' I have a real job to worry about. That's when it stopped for me.

I loved helping. Just passing on that 'bit' of fun I knew, but their parent's didn't.. Camp was great - kids realised, don't listen, we can't have fun. The child 'care' stuff' was really drilled into all officials and helpers so we did it.. Kids went home knackered and happy, we went home dead and happy, parent's had a free weekend....

classic33

Leg End Member
One of the best scout leaders I saw got ruined when he was persuaded to move up to District level.

Those in his group would bend over backwards for him. Personal opinion, and I said it to him, was that a very capable and well liked leader would be lost if he took a role at Disrict level.

Tried to get him doing what he seemed best at doing. He also hated paperwork, which has increased beyond belief.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was a Beaver, Cub & Scout. I didn't continue into Venture Scouts as it was back then. Both my parents played an active role with Mum being a Cub leader, and Dad a frequent adult helper. I loved it.
Roll on 25 years and my kids are at Beavers, with my boy looking to move into Cubs. But, no leaders. So I took on the CSL role, and was lucky enough to find a lovely lady to be Assistant CSL. We had no Group Scout Leader, so reported direct to the DC, who left us to our own devices. I loved it, but after 6 years threw in the towel as I was fed up with the parents.....

Place in society? Well if you have the right leaders (and that's really what makes it tick), they will learn interpersonal skills, gain confidence, teamworking, leadership and a whole load of practical skills. And have FUN.

The one thing I really miss is the kids. Seeing a young person's gains over the years they spent with me as a Cub was very rewarding.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Well? I'm sure someone is beginning to speculate.

Patience dear, all in good time.

At present moment, I am unable to explain the reasons for asking the question in my OP I hopefully can do so in the next couple of weeks or so...

To quote the line used in the newspapers and on TV...for legal reasons I am unable to answer your question at this moment in time

Top Bottom