The seizing quadriceps on descending stairs and slopes problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I work on glute /hamstrings doing glute bridges as part of my workout regime , single leg glute bridges with the supporting foot raised maybe 6inches/foot really targets them
https://www.rehabhero.ca/exercise/single-leg-eccentric-bridge

current favourite quad exercise is a controlled squat , sitting on the edge of the bed i push my legs as far as i can to the edge of the bed and stand up in a controlled slow movement concentrating on driving the force through the heels the down without releasing tension.Feels easy till you get to around 15-20
Pre meniscus surgery the physio tried to strengthen my inner quads as they were weak compared to the outers, the above exercise actually works them

stephec

Legendary Member
Most likely cramp, walking down hill is particularly hard on the quadraceps, and shins. Recommended to walk backwards (odd I know-but works) if legs begin to struggle

I know a few first time marathon runners who could only get downstairs the day after by walking backwards.

One was prepared though, she stashed some food and drink in her bedroom in case she couldn't get downstairs at all. 😂

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I know a few first time marathon runners who could only get downstairs the day after by walking backwards.

One was prepared though, she stashed some food and drink in her bedroom in case she couldn't get downstairs at all. 😂

the days when i had to come down stairs sitting down one step at a time the day after a hard weight session, i dont miss those days at all

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a long & hilly walk, most of my body feels fine, but walking downhill/stairs is exceedingly hurty!
I think it's the imbalance of leg muscle use that does it. A soak in a bath and a short recovery walk tends to ease the problem.

Top Bottom