The sound of summer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Round here it's the arrhythmic Thud-Thud-Pause-TH-Thud-Thud of the neighbours post pubescent offspring kicking a ball against a brick wall. Why can't it be the soothing, reassuring, constant Clicketty-Clicketty-Clicketty of a Campag freewheel.

:sad:

G-Zero

Über Member
Round here it's the arrhythmic Thud-Thud-Pause-TH-Thud-Thud of the neighbours post pubescent offspring kicking a ball against a brick wall. Why can't it be the soothing, reassuring, constant Clicketty-Clicketty-Clicketty of a Campag freewheel.

:sad:

Tell me about it !!, I had the bike upside down in the garden yesterday afternoon, cleaning it after a hot & dusty ride to the coast and listening to freewheel buzzing, when some bloomin' Woodpecker starts tap-tap-tap-tapping out in the woods. :angel:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
As a kid I used to throw a golf ball hard against the wall and then play a Ted Dexteresque off drive to the rebound.

Must have driven the neighbours mad...

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Tell me about it !!, I had the bike upside down in the garden yesterday afternoon, cleaning it after a hot & dusty ride to the coast and listening to freewheel buzzing, when some bloomin' Woodpecker starts tap-tap-tap-tapping out in the woods. :angel:
I know, it's horrendous isn't it? It's sheer hell up here in the grim north. Stay away. :stop:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Mother and Father playing on the tennis courts, the rest of the family in the swimming pool, the Butler cracking open another bottle of Champagne, the sound of it tinkling playfully down the side of crystal as he pours it.... yeah right!

For me it is the sound of the birds and the insects in the garden, puntuated by tiny kids* playing in the back lane, riding their little trikes or bikes about with a rattle and a roar across dirt, loose stone and tarmac. The (older Primary school age) kids next door playing on their trampoline or waterslide. The sound (and smell) of grass being cut. The clicketty clack of a train at the station and traffic passing by the front gate. The occasional plane/helicopter flying over and someone's souped up nedmobile whining away on the A82 in the distance.

Surrounding all of this the sound of the Aspens in the front garden gently hissing in the breeze, performing their wispy serenade.

By night, all you hear is the distant, and somewhat reassuring low hum of the generators being tested at Aggreko, complete with the 'BEEP BEEP BEEP' of associated reversing lorries, and only Birdsong at dawn will interrupt this adequately.

* - For some reason they always seem to be of Pre School age. I doubt there is an infinite supply of them in the area, so I assume they will EVENTUALLY get older. Also, since the neighbours out the back got rid of their leylandii, I can actually see these kids for the first time ever, instead of just hearing them, and they all appear to be little girls.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Blimey Doug, have you been on a creative writing course? You're waxing lyrically at the moment....^_^

It was just a mistake, normal service will be resumed shortly!

Actually, I forgot to mention the sound of kids at the local primary school out at playtime and lunchtime, not to mention them walking to/from school along the aforementioned back lane.

It'll be too late to add

'Excited little squeals'

into the post above though. ^_^

Nearly there

Veteran
Being a night shift worker trying to sleep this time of years a nightmare people cutting things,dogs barking,D.I.Y noises etc the only plus is lighter evenings so I can fit some ride time in before work.

Top Bottom